home printer recommendation

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Epson EcoTank. Ink lasts a long time. I’ve had an hp and canon this is definitely the favorite.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I have a Canon TS8220. Bought it at Best Buy. BB was trying to sell it for $179.95 with an $80 gift card. Told them Amazon had it for $99.99. They matched it. When they rang it up, the computer said the gift card was still to be given. Not a bad deal.... $99.99 with an $80 gift card. Excellent color, excellent photos. Compact design. I think the deal may still be available.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I bought a brother MFC-L3770CDW color led/laser printer all in one, after going through several ink jets, and tired or cartridges. The up front cost was more but the cost of the printer with full toner cartridges, was actually less than buying a ink jet with starter cartridges, plus full large capacity cartridges that get less than 1/4 of the output, if they don't dry up. Replacement toner cartridges are a little more but get way more output per cartridge, and less problems.
Those ink jets are just junk.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
for every one suggesting Brother printers, I must be the unlucky one here. We have one in our work shop office (MFC-8710), maybe print a few sheets a day/week at most. But just about every time we print it jams internally and we have to go pull everything out to get it to work (gets really annoying the one time a year we print out our maintenance docs and have to get up every 5 mins for it).

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For inkjet printers getting quality color prints has always been and still is about the correct paper and settings. Almost any inkjet printer can print a great photo with the right paper and a little experimenting with the settings.

Even cheap inkjet printers are typically better than expensive laser printers for photos. Cheap laser printers are better than expensive ink jet printers for small text.

I have high end inkjet photo printers but if I need to print a physical sample of tiny 4 point legal text for a client I'll print it on the cheaper office B&W laser printer.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'd say invest in a laser printer if you can make it work on your budget. It may cost you a little more up front but toner doesn't dry up like inkjet cartridges do so you will save quite a bit of money over time with a laser vs inkjet printer not to mention a better quality print out as well. I don't do a ton of printing and am still on the original cartridge I bought for a personal black and white laser printer I bought used my last year of college 17 years ago. I am going to finally replace it sometime this year with some kind of all-in-one color laser printer. We print our own Christmas letter/cards and unless you find someone running a special on color copies I think it will pay for itself pretty quickly.

I've been looking for something in the $200-300ish range and finding some good review on Brother and Canon brands in that price range.