home printer recommendation

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I need a new home printer. We won't be using it a ton but my wife is a teacher and she will often need to make 30 or so copies of worksheets. I'd also like to purchase a model that doesn't require crazy expensive ink cartridges. Any recommendations?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just got the Canon TS9520 a couple of months ago. Love it. When to comes to ink, Amazon is where I usually go. Pretty cheap and just as good as the Canon ink.

I work at home and print a lot of flyers out to take to shows, etc. Scanning and sending documents is easy. It is a nice little unit.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
As an infrequent user of our home printer we had a lot of issues with ink cartridges clogging up, so we finally switched over to a Brother laser printer and have been going strong ever since. If you can live without color they are really affordable. If color is a must, then laser gets a little spendy.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Get one with frickin lasers. No seriously get a laser printer, ink is for suckers. Don't have to worry about ink going bad because you don't use it for a stretch of time. I have a Brother that has worked great, you can get a multifunction version too for easy copying. Toner for mine is like $12 for 2,500 pages or something.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I also would recommend a laser printer for reasons mentioned above. Mainly inkjets can clog. When it comes time to replace my in home printer it will be with a laser printer.

Also, it will be much quicker when your wife needs to make those copies for work.

Plus the paper comes out all warm and stuff.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I really like my Canon printer, but it has like 85 ink cartridges, and they seem to dry out frequently.

My parents have a Brother laser and really like it. If I printed more than 15 sheets a year I'd probably get one myself.

Wifi/Networked printers are worth the effort. Well worth it.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
This is easy.

She sends whatever she needs copies of to your work email addy. You then use the convenient and high quality printer your generous employer graciously provides for situations just like this.

(pssst....if you get caught, remember this line - "it is for the kids". )

Use money you otherwise would have spent on a printer and expensive ink cartridges to get things rolling in your new sport's gambling hobby.

• Funny
Reactions: ianoconnor

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I really like my Canon printer, but it has like 85 ink cartridges, and they seem to dry out frequently.

My parents have a Brother laser and really like it. If I printed more than 15 sheets a year I'd probably get one myself.

Wifi/Networked printers are worth the effort. Well worth it.

Exactly!!

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I run a small business out of my house. Probably print 4-6 reams of paper per year. I went through 3 injet printers in 7 years. 2 Cannons and 1 HP. None made it 3 years. Bought a Brother Laser last winter and love it. yes cartridges are expensive but so is buying a new printer every 2.5 years.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Laser printer is the way to go. Especially if you just need black and white. Won't dry up or clog as easy. Will be cheaper in the long run too. Bought a small HP laser printer prob 13 years ago. Average probably 2200 pages per toner. $70 per toner.

Reactions: 2speedy1

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
+1 on laser printers.

I got a Brother at COSTCO a couple years ago, roughly $200, wifi and everything. It's fabulous.

Reactions: 2speedy1

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I need a new home printer. We won't be using it a ton but my wife is a teacher and she will often need to make 30 or so copies of worksheets. I'd also like to purchase a model that doesn't require crazy expensive ink cartridges. Any recommendations?
I have had very good luck with Brother laser printers. We use them at the office and at home. My current one a HL-2280DW, printer, copier and fax, network and wifi.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We have two printers. The color printer is on his computer, and I have an HP LaserjetPro M402N. It's a little workhorse. Much of what I print is lists, etc, and I don't need color ink. I have yet to have to replace the cartirdge, and I've had it for a year. It's compact, and doesn't take up a lot of space. I haven't had any problems with speed - 30 worksheets shouldn't take long at all.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I have an HP Officejet 4630 that was bundled / comped when I bought a laptop at Best Buy about 4 or 5 years ago. Works just fine.