"We're not a defense you can minor in."

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I think the toughest matchups for our defense are the big , 2 tight ends, we're gonna run it down your throat kind of offenses. That's why I don't think Iowa is a team we match up all that well with.

Hopefully, our D line can control their rushing. If they do, I feel really good about our chances in that game.

• Funny
Reactions: Aclone

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I think the toughest matchups for our defense are the big , 2 tight ends, we're gonna run it down your throat kind of offenses. That's why I don't think Iowa is a team we match up all that well with.

Hopefully, our D line can control their rushing. If they do, I feel really good about our chances in that game.
Our problem last year was NOT because of our D. We didn't capitalize on the first drive of the game (a TD there, and I believe we win the game), our poor punting led to points for them, and our offense was absolutely awful after that first drive. But I do agree that Iowa will be a tough game (like it always is).

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonedave25

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Our problem last year was NOT because of our D. We didn't capitalize on the first drive of the game (a TD there, and I believe we win the game), our poor punting led to points for them, and our offense was absolutely awful after that first drive. But I do agree that Iowa will be a tough game (like it always is).
I don't argue your point, but I still think Iowa is the type of team our defense doesn't match up particularly well with.

Our defense is designed to control wide open offenses that like to stretch the field and score on every play (i.e., Big 12 offenses).

• Friendly
Reactions: kentkel

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

Our punting only led to 3 points. Could have been more, but they didn't capitalize. Their other two scoring drives started at the Iowa 30 and the Iowa 17.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I know these guys are all in the club, but why would we educate these guys? Does CMC draw the line with any coaches on our schedule?
Remember when Oklahoma (with Trevor Knight looking like Tom Brady) beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl after the 2013 season? Irony of all ironies, Coach Stoops visited and spent some time with Coach Saban in the Spring 2013 off-season in Tuscaloosa to study the Alabama defense. Stoops must have been licking his chops when they drew Alabama in New Orleans!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I hadn't seen those scoring averages next to what ISU allowed vs. those teams. I knew ISU held WVa well below average, but a 26-point difference is staggering.

Defense was fantastic that game. Grier couldn't do squat, and WVU had only 150 total yards, 375 yards below average.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

I don’t think iowa’s offense was a problem for us last year... you can’t keep going 3 and out on offense.... we really couldn’t move the ball after the first drive. I think we about 6 of our last 10 possessions were 3 and out and we had a total of 188 yds. Offense needs to do something...

Also, it wasn’t until after the Iowa game in 2017, that we deployed the new scheme. So, who knows what that score would’ve been.

Honestly it’s OSU’s offense that has had the most success against us. They are the only team scoring above their season average the last two seasons against us (post scheme change). Those have been good games the last two seasons...

• Informative
Reactions: The_Architect

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't argue your point, but I still think Iowa is the type of team our defense doesn't match up particularly well with.

Our defense is designed to control wide open offenses that like to stretch the field and score on every play (i.e., Big 12 offenses).
Just gotta sub more on the dline and bring run blitzes.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Our defense held Iowa to 13 points. When you consider the huge swings in field position given up by poor punting that is fantastic. The defense played good enough to win. That loss was completely on the O.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

True. Our defense doesn’t match up well with Iowa.

Remind me again what happened last year in Iowa City, when Iowa had two first round tight ends?

Help Support Us

Become a patron