Summer Concert Thread

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Blackberry Smoke and The Record Company (who are awesome) just went on sale today for a September show at Hoyt-Sherman. I'm debating currently.

• Friendly
Reactions: cyclonpediaJoe

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
Blackberry Smoke and The Record Company (who are awesome) just went on sale today for a September show at Hoyt-Sherman. I'm debating currently.

Kind of an odd combo. I would go to see The Record Company alone, having Blackberry Smoke on the same bill, kind of kills it for me.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and jbindm

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Kind of an odd combo. I would go to see The Record Company alone, having Blackberry Smoke on the same bill, kind of kills it for me.

They're not my favorite, but I love Record Company - so I'm sort of of the same mind. If Record Company is only going to play for 30-40 minutes, I don't really want to spend the money.

Old 97s (for whom I have a long-standing love) were going to be opening for Turnpike Troubadours this summer at Nitefall on the River. TT are fine, but not my favorite, they are a bit too country for me. Due to some rehab issues, they're now not coming and I'm going to see Old 97s headline again on the cheap ($18 rather than $45). Win-win! I mean, other than the rehab. That's not a win.

Reactions: Blackhawk6515

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
They're not my favorite, but I love Record Company - so I'm sort of of the same mind. If Record Company is only going to play for 30-40 minutes, I don't really want to spend the money.

Old 97s (for whom I have a long-standing love) were going to be opening for Turnpike Troubadours this summer at Nitefall on the River. TT are fine, but not my favorite, they are a bit too country for me. Due to some rehab issues, they're now not coming and I'm going to see Old 97s headline again on the cheap ($18 rather than $45). Win-win! I mean, other than the rehab. That's not a win.

My wife and I were lucky enough to see the Old 97's, Turnpike Troubadours and Jason Isbell on the same bill in Bonner Springs last year. I have a new respect for the Old 97's, they were great live and the TT's were awesome. It's a sad situation about Evan Felker, but hope he gets the help he needs and beats his addictions. And of course Isbell put on a great show. Right now he has to be one of my favorite songwriters.

• Friendly
Reactions: drlove and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My wife and I were lucky enough to see the Old 97's, Turnpike Troubadours and Jason Isbell on the same bill in Bonner Springs last year. I have a new respect for the Old 97's, they were great live and the TT's were awesome. It's a sad situation about Evan Felker, but hope he gets the help he needs and beats his addictions. And of course Isbell put on a great show. Right now he has to be one of my favorite songwriters.

That is an amazing lineup! Good live performers (from what I hear) from top to bottom!

Reactions: Blackhawk6515

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Just purchased tickets to see Fruit Bats at the Turf Club in St. Paul on August 8th. Really enjoying their newer album, but still expecting to see their classics.

Might have to snag tix for that...

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Saw both nights of My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks last weekend, got great seats both nights - was in line at 8am on Saturday. I've seen them 6x now at Red Rocks and 10+ times overall, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around how incredible and special of a thing I just witnessed. I think I'm ruined for life.

Reactions: Angie

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
Just got tickets to Elizabeth Cook, on Friday, September, 6th @ Vinyl Cup Records in Des Moines. If you haven't heard of her, you need to check her out.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Anyone hitting Old 97s tonight?

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Saw the Violent Femmes this summer. I had never seen them before, they are really talented it was really good. Didn’t stick around for Ben Folds, because frankly after Add It Up everything else would be downhill from there.

Also saw Dido who hasn’t toured in 15 years. She puts on a really good live show. Not what you’d imagine from her studio recordings but her different musical influences like dance, rap, etc really come through live.

I never imagined going to see either but they were good times.

cyguy9320

Nov 26, 2006
Saw:
The Tallest Man on Earth in April
Deer Tick in May
Oliver Hazard a couple days ago. <--These dudes are awesome.

Seeing: All in September
John Mayer
The SteelDrivers
Joe Pug
Fruit Bats

Also, not technically "concerts", but I saw Tom Segura's standup in June and bought tickets to Bert Kreischer in September and Kyle Kinane in November.

Reactions: drlove and srjclone

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Same, my friend and I that are going are both pumped because its our first Turf Club show in over 2 years. Love the spot
2 of my favorite live shows (and I have seen a lot) have been there. And it is just a killer setup.

Reactions: srjclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron