Summer Concert Thread

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Literally an uneventful summer for me so far. I had Ozzy tix but that got delayed a year. Finally this Thursday it's Iron Maiden in Tinley Park. I hope they get back to the studio and make another album after this so I can say I saw my favorite band in 5 different decades.
The amount of main stream band/artists concerts I've been to at Tinley Park still makes me cringe to this day haha. Solid ampitheatre though haha

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The Ben Folds/Violent Femmes show was pretty good. Getting there was kind of a mess on Fleur. As far as the venue goes, parking was fine. There was a giant line for ticketing. Could use a couple more ticket scanner and bravely people. Beer tents were quick. Bathroom lines were reasonable. The food vendor situation seemed to be a mess. Super long lines all night and I heard they ran out of a lot of stuff. Good time in general though.

Going to see Joseph and Deep Sea Diver on Monday night at the Englert in Iowa City. Seen Deep Sea Diver multiple times and they are always great. Unfortunately they are only the opener.

Your assessments are all dead-on. I think they need to figure out ticketing/entry, and our parking was pretty crappy by the time we got there (at the end of the opener's act). Lines for food seemed almost as long as to get in.

However, loved the Femmes. They were great, I just wished the crowd had gotten a little more into it. Ben was good, but I'm not as into him as I used to be, and so we left with a bit of time left. It was cool to meet VF.

• Agree
Reactions: MrPeske and pulse

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Just announced - Calexico with Iron & Wine at Hoyt Sherman Place on Thursday, February 13th. Picked up my tickets this morning.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Saw Of Monsters And Men. A good show, best Icelandic band since.... I don’t know all I can think of is Björk.

Kaleo and Sigur Ros. I knew Sigur Ros off the top of my head but I cheated to get Kaleo. For some reason I thought they were Polynesian-American or something.

Where'd you see Of Monsters and Men?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Going to Twin Peaks at the Fine Line this Friday. They have a new album out that I am a big fan of. Already seen Twin Peaks once, as they were the opener for Portugal. The Man when they came to St. Paul last year. Chicago based band with a sounds that is consistent but different.

Also, bought tickets for Toro y Moi for the end of October at First Avenue. Toro is definitely not for everyone, but I've been a fan of his since "Anything In Return" and pumped to finally see him live.

Last edited:

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Heading to Louisville on the 28th with some buddies for the Louder than Life festival. Hit some distilleries for some bourbon tasting and then to the festival for a day of rock shows. Good times.

Reactions: srjclone

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Just announced - Calexico with Iron & Wine at Hoyt Sherman Place on Thursday, February 13th. Picked up my tickets this morning.

I am waiting for them to go on sale on Friday - was there a presale?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
ready for some Greensky Bluegrass tonight at Brenton, they killed it last year & just finished a nice run at Red Rocks. Yee haw

Jealous of you seeing Greensky Bluegrass. Hope it's good.

You'll have to let me know if they play Van Morisson's "Into The Mystic"? That's my favorite version of that song I've ever heard.....

Last edited:

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
Seeing Joseph in Iowa City tonight.

Picked up tickets for Cold War Kids at The Waiting Room in Omaha in January. Seems like a tiny venue for them. Should be fun.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Dirty Heads at Val Air ball room November 15th. Got tickets to that and already had tickets to the Omaha show the next night. So I will be seeing them twice.