Amazon Prime Day

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Are the amazon Fire HD 8 tablets any good? I was thinking of picking up a couple for my kids since they are cheaper but have seen numerous reviews of them taking forever to load and also some kind of issues with defects that the tablets have to be replaced. Anyone have these that could provide info?

Had one forever. Perfect for a kid. Works more reliably/smoother than my iPad mini most of the time.

Reactions: ISU_Clone_28

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Does anyone on here have a Ring doorbell/security system? Kinda had an eye on it but the poor reviews have me hesitant.

Have had 6 ring cameras around and in my house for over 1.5 years. My brother in law has 3. The newer stuff with the spotlights is really nice.
We used to have a traditional security system that wasnt much help. This quickly let's us know when we have motion detected. Only downside is it doesn't record video all the time. But for the price point it works really well. Nest records all the time but was quite a bit more expensive when I looked.

Reactions: JHUNSY

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Have had 6 ring cameras around and in my house for over 1.5 years. My brother in law has 3. The newer stuff with the spotlights is really nice.
We used to have a traditional security system that wasnt much help. This quickly let's us know when we have motion detected. Only downside is it doesn't record video all the time. But for the price point it works really well. Nest records all the time but was quite a bit more expensive when I looked.
How's the app? Seems like a lot of people have issues, on iOS anyways.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Sorry Android fan here, no complaints on the app side. We did lose one cool feature with an Android update. You used to be able have different sounds for each camera. So I could tell when we had motion at a certain camera with out looking on my phone for the location. Not a huge deal.
They have made a bunch of big improvements to the app since Amazon bought ring. Solid product

Reactions: JHUNSY

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I keep a bunch of stuff in the "saved for later" section of my Amazon cart to monitor prices and purchase if there's ever a great deal. A few of them actually went up in price during this sale. Nothing went down by a meaningful amount.

• Informative
Reactions: ArgentCy

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I keep a bunch of stuff in the "saved for later" section of my Amazon cart to monitor prices and purchase if there's ever a great deal. A few of them actually went up in price during this sale. Nothing went down by a meaningful amount.
Camelcamelcamel is even better and let's you setup alerts once a price target is hit.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
iPad's don't have ads on the lock screen. The two I ordered several Black Friday's ago have ads on the screen. I was under the impression I could remove them, but Amazon closed that loophole.

Hmm, I never realized that but partly explains why they're almost free.

I've had Kindle ebook readers for years and they seem to be the greatest reading device in history so I assumed their color tablets were great products too.

Still have to imagine $30 for a kids youtube/netflix tablet is a crazy deal compared to $400 for an iPad Mini even with the ads.

You can pay to unsubscribe from the ads. When I was looking into it, it cost the same $15 that it cost to upgrade to the no-ads version so I decided to wait and see how annoying the ads were with the intent to eventually pay and unsubscribe. Found out that the ads on the screensaver are a non-issue so I never paid to remove them. If you still want to remove them, here is what the Amazon site says to do:

To unsubscribe from Special Offers:

1. Manage Your Content and Devices.
  2. Select Your Devices and then click the device Actions button to the left of the device name.
  3. Next to Special Offers, click Edit, and then follow the instructions to unsubscribe from Special Offers. You'll see the amount of the one-time payment before you confirm.

• Informative
Reactions: HFCS

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
we've been needing new phones for a while so we took the Galaxy S10 deal. First time we've actually taken advantage of Prime Day so we'll see. Got a car seat from Wal-Mart and birthday party supplies from another place all doing competing Prime Day sales.

Oh and I loaded up on diapers and detergent at Target yesterday..........I saved more than $50, that was sweet.