Android or iPhone?

SkolCy

Feb 2, 2018
I am going to upgrade my old Galaxy 6 phone in the next couple of days and I am debating on trying an iPhone. I did some research online but everything I have read has pretty much came out as a draw. Some sites say Galaxy and some say iPhone. Is it worth switching to an iPhone? Give me all of your opinions.
Just got the Pixel 3A about a month ago. Way cheaper. Camera and Battery are phenomenal. I upgraded to it from an Galaxy S7 and I still haven't found a single negative thing about it. Highly recommend. Normal size only 399 and XL is 469

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Is this it? Or is this a totally different app? http://tasker-app.com/

Different app. https://tasker.joaoapps.com/

It's more of a macro/automation app I'd say? I use it to turn my ringer and wifi off when I go to work. Or dim my screen all the way at certain time at night. You could geofence and have the phone do certain things when you get to a certain point on the GPS/map.

Some of the stuff is natively baked in Android (maybe iOS) now, but I've been using so long now. :D

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Different app. https://tasker.joaoapps.com/

It's more of a macro/automation app I'd say? I use it to turn my ringer and wifi off when I go to work. Or dim my screen all the way at certain time at night. You could geofence and have the phone do certain things when you get to a certain point on the GPS/map.

Some of the stuff is natively baked in Android (maybe iOS) now, but I've been using so long now. :D
Yeah, that's handy to have. I think there was/is the IFTTT app or something like that. I was just curious because it's my belief that it's more of a user preference of what you like - kind of like Ford vs Chevy.

• Friendly
Reactions: NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Yeah, that's handy to have. I think there was/is the IFTTT app or something like that. I was just curious because it's my belief that it's more of a user preference of what you like - kind of like Ford vs Chevy.

IFTTT is a little different, but I hear ya. It's more meant to integrate your phone with others systems (home automation, lighting, audio systems, etc),

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
If anyone is hard of hearing in your family, Android has an awesome app called Live Transcribe that is part of the OS. It works great. It literally just types everything on the screen as it hears it so people who are deaf or hard of hearing can use it as a crutch to follow along in conversations. My girlfriend's grandma even used it in church and was in tears as she told me that was the first time that she can remember actually being able to tell what the pastor was saying. "Live Transcribe was made in collaboration with Gallaudet University, the premier deaf and hard of hearing university in the US."

One small little thing that can seriously change people's quality of life. Since Google created it, it's not on apple yet. They may have other apps to do that kind of thing, but I don't think they are anywhere near as good as this from what I've read.

Reactions: huntt26
L

LincolnWay187

What do you plug into your phone these days? Everything is wireless, from charging to headphones. And, most of the new Androids are also ditching the 3.5mm headphone jack as well.
Good ole fashioned best 12 dollar wired pairs i can find. Great for running with, cheap to replace, no need to charge

aobie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2013
Seattle, WA
For all of the talk about improved battery life, I fail to see the proof in the pudding. No matter what phone I get the battery life still is a crap shoot whether it will make it through the day. Granted, I use the phone a lot in my job.
Batteries are tough. We keep getting larger batteries, but they are powering larger, more dense screens, sometimes larger speakers, faster processors, and are generally just asked to do more without taking up more minimal space.

I love Tom's Guide for reviews on this. Their battery test is to actually browse the web continuously (via LTE connection) so you have a nice side-by-side comparison of all the latest offerings.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/smartphones-best-battery-life,review-2857.html

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
iPhone.

I used Androids going back to around 2011 (I think?) I switched this Christmas, and its been the best phone decision I've ever made.
Why? I've never used anything but iphone but curious why you feel this way.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Apple is the devil. They don't care about you or privacy, they just want the control.

Google is fairly similar but they seem to be more for the sharing and community mentality. I'll always go Android. So many stupid rules with Apple. Kiss my arse, that's my device and I'll do as I like with it.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnWay187

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've exclusively used Macs for everything work and personal for over 30 years, never owned a PC or used windows. I have five Macs at home and a Mac Pro tower at work...

Switched to Android and Google Pixel for my phone and absolutely love it.

• Informative
Reactions: Bobber

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I just switched back to iphone because I wanted an Apple Watch (and because I accidentally went swimming with my very not water resistant Note 5) and I do not regret it one bit.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
My kids all have I phones, I have an Ipad(which I like). My wife and I both have Android phones(S7 and Moto z2 Force.

Guess it boils down to I am a value guy and you can buy used Androids a lot cheaper than Apples. My Androids slow down as they age, but I still get 3 or 4 years out of them no problem. An IT guy told me the Moto Z will age better because it basically runs a stock version of Android with very little company bloatware on top(unlike Samsung)

The beauty of OS is it’s the same on each device, but the downside is it’s very rigid and can’t be modified. It does some things really weird and one of the reasons I prefer the Android system.

Am starting to think of my next phone and if I want to continue with Samsung or consider the Pixel or perhaps a Motorola.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I agree,....wrong.

I have several audiophile wired ear phones. My Google 3, with a DAC, provides awesome audio that doesn't get chopped and diced like a MP3 being flattenedd through a Bluetooth signal.

Drop the wire INSIDE your shirt and it disappears! With CD quality sound, not the roadkill flat of wireless.

No headphone jack and a worse value camera than Pixel is what led me to switch away from iPhone for first time.

People would laugh if they saw the amount of Macs around me at work and home, I just started working on a new iMac Pro this week retiring my five year old Darth Vader tower to backup duty. I'm the furthest from an Apple hater you could find. Pixel line is simply the better value right now.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
if you are comfortable with android there is no reason to switch. it will just drive you crazy. i carry a galaxy s10 as my personal phone and a iphone xr for work so i use both on a daily basis but am way more comfortable with the android. If you have used one or the other and are happy with it. no reason to rock the boat.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron