Anyone know this slow pitch softball player?

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I am not sticking up for the shoving guys actions but there is a lot of noise about stuff the ump was saying to not only him, but also other players. Either way there is no room for violence in a "pickup game" of Softball!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I am not sticking up for the shoving guys actions but there is a lot of noise about stuff the ump was saying to not only him, but also other players. Either way there is no room for violence in a "pickup game" of Softball!

I'd be interested to hear what was said. The umpire is 69 years old, and the player arrested is 29.

This is the main reason I only umpire little league/youth tournament baseball and softball. The older the players get the more apt they are to argue and act like idiots. Players and parents take this stuff way too seriously.

I've only had to toss a handful of people in 21 years of umpiring, but I've never seen anything as bad as this d-bag or the all out brawl at a 7 year olds game that there was video of earlier this week.

It's ok not to agree with every call, but to lose your **** like this is ridiculous.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think I found footage of this guy's son.

PerfectAgitatedCow-size_restricted.gif

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
When I played there was a guy who Pete Rosed a catcher (slo-pitch, mind you).

Awful, awful stuff can happen.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
"...Davis claims in the last five years there have been at least four assaults on Greater Des Moines Umpire Association umpires..."

WTH is wrong with people ?@#@? Softball guys who show up wearing metal cleats, batting donuts and EyeBlack - for a slowpitch game ?#$?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I still umpire slow pitch (I gave up Fast Pitch) and the reason the sport is dying is because of crap like that. Sandbagging to play in lower leagues so you can dominate and then just being an ass the entire time.

Waterloo and Cedar Falls basically went to a zero tolerance policy with arguing about 4 years go and it's really worked. We've weeded out the true ******** and rec teams come out and just have fun and drink beer. It's worked well.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm personally shocked that the guy stuck around to get arrested. I figure he would have taken off after the altercation.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
When my daughter was 5 we took her to the softball batting cages. Thought it was really strange that a whole bunch of grown men were standing in line with her to hit at the cage.

If I play it would be in a co Ed Rec type thing where if I strike out my drunk friends laugh at me.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: dirtycy and wxman1

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
We just played against him last week and I have a couple guys on my team that know him and we've actually had him sub a few times. I don't know him that well but I can say when I saw this I was shocked because I have never seen him display an angry or aggressive behavior when I've been around him or seen him play.

Regardless I do not approve of what he did and there is no excuse for getting angry over a rec league softball game let alone push a man over twice your age to the ground. I've heard several accounts where some say the ump was escalating the situation and yelling obscene things at him while following him to the dugout and that is why he got pushed. I don't agree that gives you a green light to push him, if that was my team I'd get my player away from the situation and go find someone in charge at the complex to address the issue with the umpire. It sounds like the player is owning up to his mistake as I've heard he did not create a scene after he pushed the ump and waited for the police and let them take him into custody without an incident.

We all make mistakes in our lives we have to own up to and pay the consequences and from what I have heard 3rd hand that is what he is doing. That still doesn't excuse his behavior and he's likely going to be banned from playing anywhere in town and probably tournaments too as I know he plays for a tournament team or 2 on the weekends.