OT: Is Toy Story the best movie franchise ever?

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Are you going for actual good movies or just longevity?
Actual good movies. The Toy Story series is without a doubt filled with quality material. The enjoyability factor for me has a higher ceiling with the horror franchises. That being said I have a 3 months old and is our only kid, so I'm sure this will change with time haha.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
The lack of respect Leprechaun is getting is sickening.
FCUu0w.gif

I bought the whole series, sans Leprechaun Returns, at Wal Mart for $7!

• Funny
Reactions: CloneGuy8

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Harry Potter movies I guess are pretty faithful to the book stories but the whole thing seems to be somewhat inconsistent quality.

I think the change in directors so often is part of that. Different directors were more faithful to the stories and feel than others. Also, the tone of the books themselves changes so much from whimsy and wonder to really dark themes for kids. It's definitely got its own internal issues in addition to the directors' different levels of quality.

I think Godfather series loses out because of #3. The first two were some of the best movies ever made, but 3 just was a turd sandwich.

I personally love the Lego movies currently, but don't know if they count as a series. Ghostbusters 1 and 2 were both awesome, but that's not really a large enough sample.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think the change in directors so often is part of that. Different directors were more faithful to the stories and feel than others. Also, the tone of the books themselves changes so much from whimsy and wonder to really dark themes for kids. It's definitely got its own internal issues in addition to the directors' different levels of quality.

I think Godfather series loses out because of #3. The first two were some of the best movies ever made, but 3 just was a turd sandwich.

I personally love the Lego movies currently, but don't know if they count as a series. Ghostbusters 1 and 2 were both awesome, but that's not really a large enough sample.

That's a good point and probably part of why I like Mad Max. Even 30 years later Fury Road was still the original creator and director.

I'm going to be working on products for the 2020 Ghostbusters movie :) Sworn to silence unfortunately but you can find enough online to get excited about.

• Friendly
Reactions: alarson and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That's a good point and probably part of why I like Mad Max. Even 30 years later Fury Road was still the original creator and director.

I'm going to be working on products for the 2020 Ghostbusters movie :) Sworn to silence unfortunately but you can find enough online to get excited about.

That's amazing!! How fun is that - I just hope there is more Murray in it! :)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
After seeing Toy Story 4 tonight I got to thinking...is this the best movie franchise ever? There are spectacular franchises but almost all of them that I can think of have one dud/one that just isn't as 'great' as the others.

I'm sure people will say Star Wars, Alien, Terminator, Lord of the Rings, The Godfather, 007, Marvel, etc.

But at this moment, I am not sure anything is as good OVERALL than the Toy Story franchise with every installment so well made and so highly regarded. My runner up would be Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

Our very own CF Movie Maven should start more movie threads. :cool:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Shockingly no mention of the Bob Hope and Bing Crosby road movies. ;)

On Toy Story I going to vote yes even though I have not seen #4. Cannot think of any series that has been as universally praised by both critics and audience for each movie.

• Winner
Reactions: xboxfever

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I heard an interview of Tim Allen about the movie this morning. I know hes trying to promote the movie but I was previously thinking Toy Story 4 would end up being a watered down money grab. I no longer think that and I think I will be seeing it.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
Not sure if mentioned yet, but Back to the Future should be in the conversation. Probably not as good as the others, but it was an excellent trilogy.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I dont know that i'd say 'best'. It certainly has consistency going for it though. I'd just think there's more to it than that.

I think the MCU would have to be in the conversation, given it has racked up 8 billion dollars in ticket sales alone over a decade. Some movies were better than others, but i dont think there's a single movie in it that was bad. That alone is pretty impressive over 20+ movies over a relatively short timespan.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
How is this any different than Mad Max?

I do not remember any CGI versions of the brave warrior Legolas "running up the stairs" of a collapsing stone building in any of the Mad Max films.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I am shocked that no one thinks Star Wars is best movie franchise.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
How is this any different than Mad Max?

The Hobbit is the only story on film I can think of where I could read the book twice (maybe three times?) in the time it takes to watch the movie.

I'd say it's the definition of a cash grab. The LotR films pretty much nailed the length and what to keep in and what to take out. The Hobbit doesn't need to be two films, let alone three.

This first story in this 4 book set has a movie the same length as the second third and fourth combined:
9780544445789_p0_v7_s550x406.jpg

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I think it's in the discussion for best first two or best first three movies released in a franchise.

In terms of technical accomplishments it's definitely among the most important...although Toy Story is up there in that category as well. Watch Star Trek The Motion Picture and Dune, realize they had huge budgets for the time and came out a few years after Star Wars, it was a quantum leap forward in visual story telling even if someone didn't like the story or action.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not sure if mentioned yet, but Back to the Future should be in the conversation. Probably not as good as the others, but it was an excellent trilogy.

I find that a lot of times a third movie gets irrationally bashed.

For a while even The Last Crusade got bashed like it wasn't good, now it's mostly considered the second best and the best by some.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Going with the kids tonight. I made them promise me they wouldn't tell anyone about me crying.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

The star wars franchise has just been so inconsistent. And i'm someone who loved TLJ so i have fewer issues with it than others.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Rocky movies? Where do they rank?

My opinion, first three great. After that, not so great

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I know this may sound old school, but I would rank the "The Man with No Name" triolgy -- For a Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly -- pretty high on the best movie franchise ever.