Fox X-Men (Marvel) Movie/TV Universe

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Curious who it is you like? I have my own people too.
There is several youtube channels I listen to on reviews for different reasons but rarely do I agree with their takes entirely. Some others I look to are Emergency Awesome, Beyond The Trailer, Angry Joe (Grain of salt), Screen Rant and the few times they ever post reviews, comicbookgirl19. I catch others here and there but those are the most common ones I see.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
There is several youtube channels I listen to on reviews for different reasons but rarely do I agree with their takes entirely. Some others I look to are Emergency Awesome, Beyond The Trailer, Angry Joe (Grain of salt), Screen Rant and the few times they ever post reviews, comicbookgirl19. I catch others here and there but those are the most common ones I see.

Cool. Yeah, I listen to the different reviews on Collider and particularly like Coy Jandrau and Perri Nemeroff there. I also like Marvel Studios News, Screenrant (whenever they post it), and Marc Bernardin. Those are probably the biggest ones I monitor.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Saw Dark Phoenix last night. It was probably the weakest of the new crop of X-Men films to me, but I don't think it was a complete disaster like some reviewers have made it out to be. I also liked Apocalypse better than critics did though.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Saw Dark Phoenix last night. It was probably the weakest of the new crop of X-Men films to me, but I don't think it was a complete disaster like some reviewers have made it out to be. I also liked Apocalypse better than critics did though.

I'm hoping to catch a screening today. Lift has been hectic enough where my usual opening night screening didn't work out.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Went this morning and it's not a disaster but this era limped to the finish line.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-spoiler) Got a chance to see X-Men: Dark Phoenix this past weekend and I figured I'd come here with some overall non-spoilery thoughts for anyone interested.

-While not a great movie, this movie wasn't a bad movie either and I still enjoyed myself for the most part
-It's not as bad as people are playing it out to be and definitely does not deserve its current 23% Rotten Tomatoes score. It is definitely better than X-Men Orgins: Wolverine, X-Men 3, Apocalypse, and I'd even maybe say Wolverine.
-I still hate the new costumes, even though they finally bring in the color. Looked like they were made on a TV budget. I'm still wondering what happened to the sweet costumes at the end of Apocalypse.
-The first act was fun, the second act struggled, but I ended up enjoying the third act even with its flaws
-Villain was terrible, but that was all the writer's and director's fault, not the actor/actresses fault
-I loved the action in this movie, particularly in the third act, and I found it to be some of the best of any X-Men movie. The CGI was pretty good too
-I've never been a big fan of Tye Sheridon, Nicolaus Hoult and Sophie Turner in their roles, but I will say that this was the first movie where I was starting to buy into them. I thought all their acting was finally pretty solid and I was somewhat digging them in their roles.
-Michael Fassbender as Magneto steals the scene whenever he enters. That dude is amazing in the role and he was on point in this movie.
-A lot of the plot felt a bit rushed and not earned, which I think is what fell so flat with people overall. A lot of this had to due with us only seeing this new young cast of X-Men really once, and that movie was in a bad Apocalypse movie.
-This movie overall didn't do enough new to earn and warrant revisiting the Dark Phoenix story again. It also wasn't the reinvention that many hoped it would be which made it feel a bit stale
-I like that this movie felt more like an X-Men movie and less like a Mutant movie than most all the other movies. There were parts that felt really X-Meney and those were some of my favorite parts.
-I actually thought this movie tied up the Fox X-Men run at the end than it is getting credit for
-I felt satisfied enough walking out of this thing, which is all I was hoping for at this point

Anyway, those are my thoughts and as you can see, I still found it entertaining enough to recommend people still go out and check it out for themselves. Its worth noting as well that I'm not surprised at the abysmal weekend performance for the movie. I went to a 4:20 pm showing on Friday in Cedar Rapids in a monstrous theater room and I was one of 4 people there. Can't say I've ever experienced anything even close to that empty for any Marvel or DC comic book movie. It was borderline ridiculous.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: State43

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Yeah, the "want to" just evaporated out of the franchise.

That's crazy in a way because without them the MCU doesn't' get where they did.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Read a story that said Dark Phoenix did the massive re-shoot (pretty much the whole second half of the movie) because what they had was basically a duplicate of Captain Marvel.

Crazy.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Just saw it and I have to say, it was far better than the dumpster pile it was made out to be. Better than both wolverine movies, last stand and age of apocalypse for sure. I agree with a lot of the character depth criticisms but Fastbender, McCavoy and Turner all did a great job imo. Clearly they didn’t do a good job fleshing out anyone else rushing these storylines which sucks and creates a lot of apathy towards the characters. I also don’t care for the lack of villain depth. On the other side, there was several moments I loved about it and they did do a great job capturing how bad ass an X-Men battle can be. I thought it was pretty good for an x-men movie.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Just saw it and I have to say, it was far better than the dumpster pile it was made out to be. Better than both wolverine movies, last stand and age of apocalypse for sure. I agree with a lot of the character depth criticisms but Fastbender, McCavoy and Turner all did a great job imo. Clearly they didn’t do a good job fleshing out anyone else rushing these storylines which sucks and creates a lot of apathy towards the characters. I also don’t care for the lack of villain depth. On the other side, there was several moments I loved about it and they did do a great job capturing how bad ass an X-Men battle can be. I thought it was pretty good for an x-men movie.

I'm with you for pretty much all of this. I was actually having quite a bit of fun with the 3rd act action. It was cool FINALLY seeing people like Cyclops and Storm fully battle it out in a fun way. Again, story-wise, yes, pretty week, but at least we finally saw X-Men doing X-Men things to some extent. I just had to ignore that they were doing it in costumes my mom would have sewn together for me growing up because we were too cheap to buy the store ones.

• Funny

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'm with you for pretty much all of this. I was actually having quite a bit of fun with the 3rd act action. It was cool FINALLY seeing people like Cyclops and Storm fully battle it out in a fun way. Again, story-wise, yes, pretty week, but at least we finally saw X-Men doing X-Men things to some extent. I just had to ignore that they were doing it in costumes my mom would have sewn together for me growing up because we were too cheap to buy the store ones.
Oh god the cloth costumes, completely forgot about that. I love how quicksilver and Nightcrawler were in space with those and not dying immediately lol.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Oh god the cloth costumes, completely forgot about that. I love how quicksilver and Nightcrawler were in space with those and not dying immediately lol.

I still can't believe we got how many X-Men movies, yet still never scratched that itch of ever getting anything of a close resemblance to what we see in the comics. The closest was for one minute at the end of Apocalypse. Shoot, if I'm excited most about any particular things with the Marvel-Fox deal, it is that I can't wait for Marvel's costume department to finally get their chance at making an X-Men costume. Their track record of adapting ridiculous comic-book costumes into awesome believable live-action suits is borderline ridiculous. Shoot, even DC has been really good at it too. Its pretty much just Fox who has sucked.

Last edited:
  • Agree

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I still can't believe we got how many X-Men movies, yet still never scratched that itch of ever getting anything of a close resemblance to what we see in the comics. The closest was for one minute at the end of Apocalypse. Shoot, if I'm excited most about any particular things with the Marvel-Fox deal, it is that I can't wait for Marvel's costume department to finally get their chance at making an X-Men costume. Their track record of adapting ridiculous comic-book costumes into awesome believable live-action suits is borderline ridiculous. Shoot, even DC has been really good at it too. Its pretty much just Fox who has sucked.
For me, when they reboot, they NEED to start slow. Just a handful of primary characters and a very modest villain. No Apocalypse, phoenix, or any other world dominating villain for at least 5 films until a decent size core of characters are established and fleshed out. Tease the big guys like Marvel did with Thanos but keep it modest as the characters grow and evolve stronger. They could realistically keep separate outside of references from the MCU until a major villain emerges where they have to join together or just have small cameos with different characters (Scarlett Witch, Storm, Black Panther, etc). Will be interesting what they choose to do.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Here's the problem too: Apocalypse could have been a Thanos level threat that they could have done an Avengers/X-Men team up movie against him. Really there are IMO a few real top tier X-Men stories - Dark Phoenix being one, but we've seen that done twice now poorly, and Apocalypse, which was also done poorly. They've kind of blown it with those characters for a little while. I'd just table them for a good long time.
Agreed which is why those characters should stay away for at least 5 films. They could use Sinister, Stryker, Magneto again, Brotherhood, Mystique/Rogue (Where they involve Captain Marvel), etc. A bunch of good options before going with Ultra level omega mutants.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
My rollout for X-Men that nobody asked for (TL;DR I know):

Stinger: Black Panther 2 gives us a look at T'Challa coming across Storm in Africa.

Stinger: Doctor Strange 2 maybe having Doc's mind be touched by Xavier, as Doc hears a protest outside the Sanctum.

X-Men Main Movie:

Act 1: Sentinels are the baddies. I’d have this be a very small ambition movie. Gotta change the sentinels too, they are just too big. Maybe have them be large, but look more humanoid and have more weapons, kind of like a modified war machine. This is the primary conceit of the movie – the sentinels were designed by Trask using stolen Stark/Iron Man tech. Open on a young character not in the X-Men, heck just start it with Jubilee like the animated series. She encounters a Sentinel sent after her, there is a long sort of escape/meet up with the X-Men who destroy it.

Act 2: They determine that it’s Stark tech which is driving the sentinels, so after some quick intros, they go to Avengers headquarters in the Blackbird to get information that can be used to destroy them without fighting. This gives us a chance to see them use their powers – Beast and Wolvie sneak around, Jean helps gain entry by distracting people with the mind trick, Blink gets them through walls, Storm makes it rain outside to cover their landing, etc. They get the tech, but somehow trigger an alarm and have to fight Sam as the new Captain America and Spider-Man. This gets us into the MCU. They have the normal super hero fight where they fight for a bit but then they somehow end up talking about how Avengers tech is being used to hunt and capture or kill mutants.

Act 3: It’s determined that they need to go to Trask Industries who make the Sentinels and corrupt the data they use to power them. Spider-Man decides to go with, since he’s young like the X-Men and doesn’t want to leave his fellow Gen Z’ers out to dry. They go, mop crap up, and with them fighting a horde of War Machines it could give a lot of screen time to the powers and abilities of each person. Maybe an X-Man like Wolvie takes a direct hit for Spidey and gets really hurt, and once he’s back on his feet later everybody is BFF’s now but they still have to keep everything on the down low to avoid legal complications because the Avengers are a government sanctioned body. Stinger: Bishop comes back from the future, because hey I just like Bishop. That’s one for BryceC.

I do worry about the X-Men in the MCU though – they’ve gotten by on humor and the fact that all of these characters are badasses who all look good and are smart. The X-Men is a group that is a group of literal outcasts, and many of them are pretty grimey. You can’t make a Thor: Ragnarok with X-Men IMO. They’ll have to go pretty far to break my trust at this point though.
Too much. How can you have so many badass X-Men assembled already and no one even know about them? I don't hate the concept and having a stark/trask inspired sentinel is a good idea. But to me, I think starting with an X-Men group with no namers (Sacrificial lambs so to speak) outside of Xavier and a couple others such as Beast, Angel and maybe Iceman. You could have the no namers have decent abilities but fall to whatever villain plot is put into place. Have Storm brought in but I would prefer her already grown and established as strong in Africa. I think Cyclops history with Sinister could be a good story that could be shown in flashbacks later or have him brought onto the team after a conflict storyline with him.
To me, the easiest into could be a multi facet introduction at various places. Have mutants emerging due to something involving the Thanos/Hulk/Stark snap. One area is Scarlett Witch finding out her father is alive and searches for him (Magneto), Black Panther goes to meet with someone who is being hailed as a godess in parts of Africa (Storm) and various parts of Avengers/US government investigate a school that has had reports of unusual activity going on within. Thank god I don't have to come up with a concept that works within the MCU which is probably why they are pushing their introduction back at least 5 years.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm all on-board for tabling the X-Men for a good 5 years. I and the rest of America need a break to become rejuvenated into actually want to see another X-Men again. The brand damage has been done and can mostly only be healed with time. Marvel has enough other characters to ride this entire next phase without them. Then, whip them out for Phase 5. On the flip side, I'm totally up for jumping in sooner than later on the Fantastic 4. Despite all the damage done there, I feel like everyone is still clamoring for the version of team done well.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'm all on-board for tabling the X-Men for a good 5 years. I and the rest of America need a break to become rejuvenated into actually want to see another X-Men again. The brand damage has been done and can mostly only be healed with time. Marvel has enough other characters to ride this entire next phase without them. Then, whip them out for Phase 5. On the flip side, I'm totally up for jumping in sooner than later on the Fantastic 4. Despite all the damage done there, I feel like everyone is still clamoring for the version of team done well.
Me too. I think they are easier to transition into the MCU right now

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Too much. How can you have so many badass X-Men assembled already and no one even know about them? I don't hate the concept and having a stark/trask inspired sentinel is a good idea. But to me, I think starting with an X-Men group with no namers (Sacrificial lambs so to speak) outside of Xavier and a couple others such as Beast, Angel and maybe Iceman. You could have the no namers have decent abilities but fall to whatever villain plot is put into place. Have Storm brought in but I would prefer her already grown and established as strong in Africa. I think Cyclops history with Sinister could be a good story that could be shown in flashbacks later or have him brought onto the team after a conflict storyline with him.
To me, the easiest into could be a multi facet introduction at various places. Have mutants emerging due to something involving the Thanos/Hulk/Stark snap. One area is Scarlett Witch finding out her father is alive and searches for him (Magneto), Black Panther goes to meet with someone who is being hailed as a godess in parts of Africa (Storm) and various parts of Avengers/US government investigate a school that has had reports of unusual activity going on within. Thank god I don't have to come up with a concept that works within the MCU which is probably why they are pushing their introduction back at least 5 years.

Totally agree. The timeline has to be the hardest thing to work out. It would be great to essentially start the X-Men story after Endgame, but having Scarlet Witch in play already means that Magneto would have to already be in existence and thus would have made his presence know to the world. The Avengers having no knowledge of him seems like something we're going to be told to completely ignore. I'm not sure how they can satisfy comic book canon for both at this point.

I like your ideas of the sacrificial lambs and easing some of the major players into the MCU versus saying "Surprise, here's a school full of mutants!" I think the main X-Men characters are going to have to introduced with finesse to avoid having movie-goers do a complete eye-roll at yet another X-Men movie. The hard-core comic fans will still go, but they need to gather a wider audience like MCU did with the Avengers run to have any kind of staying power.

One option that I could possibly see working: Nick Fury knows about Professor X's school and has been working with him to keep the school's existence a secret until they feel the time is right and the students are ready. Fury is already made out to be a deeply-entrenched member in the intelligence community, and he could bridge that gap fairly seamlessly.

I'm still torn on if I think they should try to do anything with any of the "main" X-Men or start anew. Wolverine is such a huge part of the X-Men story, but I think the average movie-goer is burned out with him by now. I think their strongest direction is going to be capitalizing on the international aspect of the X-Men (Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler, Banshee, etc) and put the focus on places outside of the US. That would help keep the Avengers and X-men separated a bit as well while still allowing for collaborations.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

They need to wait a while just so they can assemble a new cast with actors that fit the actual characters.

I agree with an earlier poster that stated you could tease the introduction of the X-Men in the next several MCU movies. That would be perfect. Set it up similarly to how they set up Captain Marvel. Introduce a new overarching MCU threat and have it be serious enough that they have to call in the X-Men for the final movie. After several build up MCU movies you could have the new Uncanny X-Men movie introducing the fledgling team possibly set back during the events of the previous MCU phase from their perspective. Then have a team up at the end of the next MCU phase with the new Avengers and the new X-Men.

I am a stickler for source material loyalty. I would want the X-Men to start out as the original team, even if the uniforms could use an update for the 21st century
Original_X-Men.jpeg

Unfortunately that means reintroducing a lot of characters that have been rebooted a few times now, but they need to start fresh with actors who can be around for 10 years like they did with the Avengers.

One thing they MUST do with a new X-Men reboot is to hold out for at least a few movies before introducing a new Wolverine. It eventually has to happen, because he's so important to the franchise, but Hugh Jackman has been so synonymous and successful with Wolverine that he survived the terrible movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The successor needs to be a near perfect fit and needs to have a big reveal and large role in a future X movie.

There is nearly unlimited potential in the X series if done successfully. New Mutants, X-Force, Excalibur, X-Factor... the spin off opportunities are immense and I'm dying to see them done well.