Favorite underrated actors

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Mostly a TV actor but I love Canadian Anna Hopkins. Seems she’s typecast some as a sci-fi actor since she’s been in Killjoys, The Expanse, Arrow, Dark Matter and Defiance. Maybe that’s why I’ve seen her so much as I am a sci-fi guy.

Reactions: oldman

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
David Strathairn. If he's in something it's usually pretty good.

Kevin Kline is pretty high profile I guess, but I haven't seen him in many roles the last few years.

God, I can't believe I left off Strathairn. He's firmly in this category for me, as well.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I have no idea if you would consider any of these actors as “underrated”, but they all have done fantastic jobs in mainly supporting roles in big films.

Ben Foster
View attachment 64745

Michael Peña
View attachment 64746

Djimon Hounsou
View attachment 64747

Eric Bana
View attachment 64748

All good choices, and Hounsou is a particularly strong one. Mahershala Ali is a similarly talented actor who's delivered Academy Award-caliber work in supporting roles. I first saw Ali in The 4400 and couldn't believe it took him as long as it did to garner more mainstream roles.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Welcome back tm3308, still up in Badgerland?

Yeah, looks like I will be for awhile. I got an interview to go back to the Iowa athletic department full time a couple months ago, but the job ended up going to a photographer from the CR Gazette. I can't complain, he's very good and has more experience than I do. If the Gazette decides to rehire, I'll put in for it, but I doubt they fill that position.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Clint Howard

images

shut the front door! i literally opened this thread to post this....

tenor.gif

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
This thought just hit me randomly. Does anyone else have any actors/actresses who, upon seeing that they are in a certain film/show, it immediately has your attention as one to seriously consider? Even though they aren't actors who people generally consider capable of carrying the film as the lead? I've got a few to start:

Sean Bean: he's why I got into GoT in the first place. Tremendous actor, though seeing him as a more heroic figure was certainly different. Some of it is in his voice. There's just something about his voice that says this film ain't ******* around.

Cillian Murphy: he's absolutely brilliant. Peaky Blinder is a great show in no small part due to him, but I also loved him in Red Eye, 28 Days Later, and The Wind That Shakes the Barley.

Barry Pepper: loved Pvt. Jackson from the first time I saw Saving Private Ryan. 61* is an underrated film, in general, and he was great as Roger Maris. And while "3" was a lousy movie, he was a pretty good Dale Earnhardt. But my favorite character he's played is Joe Galloway in We Were Soldiers.

I'm glad Sam Rockwell is finally getting bigger roles. He's one of the best actors out there. And she's been nominated for many Oscars and never won, but she isn't an actress that people think of 'oh i love her she's my favorite actress'...Michelle Williams. Absolutely love her.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Thomas Jane. Always very good in what he does, even if he is a bit weird. He was awesome as Mickey Mantle in 61*, a very good punisher and quite funny in Hung.

Reactions: Doc