2019 Concert Thread

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I've seen three shows there with the symphony:

Amos Lee
Flaming Lips performing The Soft Bulletin
Warren Haynes performing songs of Jerry Garcia

All three shows were great, but different in their own way. I don't think they would even try it if it weren't going to be awesome.

You're probably right. I wasn't at the show but I did listen to Gregory Alan Isakov with the symphony and it was good.

It's just that that John Prine and the Colorado Symphony is an odd pairing. I bet something like Lake Marie could be really cool, though.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I was so jealous when I saw this ticket announced for DSM. I saw Primus open for Flaming Lips at Red Rocks a few years back, and it was a great show. Although Primus played extra long, and I think it cut the Lips' set short.

I've taken several people to their first Flaming Lips show - and I always tell them, yes it will be weird. And yes, it will be awesome. There is nothing like it, not even close. If you honestly can see a Flaming Lips show and not have a good time, I would have serious questions about your personality.

I figure that Flaming Lips has to be a lot like Gogol Bordello - even if you don't like their music, you should be able to have fun at the insanity!

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Recently added: Lukas Nelson & The Real @ Varsity Theater, Mt. Joy @ Varsity Theater.

Caamp just announced they will be coming to Minneapolis as well. Will definitely be getting tickets to that.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
The DMB show last night was very good. Of the 10 shows I've been to, it was near the tops. Excellent setlist, incredible energy. They need to feature Buddy Strong way more than they do though.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Here goes my list (I live in Fort Collins CO).

4/26-27, FoCoMX Fort Collins Music Experiment - local festival made in the vein of SXSW
5/23, Reckless Kelly @ Washington's Fort Collins (new venue is killing it)
5/25, Bluebird Music Festival in Boulder - Jim James, Langhorne Slim, Neyla Pekarek (Lumineers), etc.
6/2, Trombone Shorty @ Washington's
6/6, Big Head Todd & the Monsters @ Washington's
6/24, Stevie Wonder @ Red Rocks (first show EVER!)
7/28, John Prine & CO Symphony Orchestra @ Red Rocks
8/2, My Morning Jacket @ Red Rocks
8/3, My Morning Jacket @ Red Rocks
8/4, Lake Street Dive @ Mishawaka
8/10, New West Fest (artists TBA)
8/12, Trombone Shorty and Ben Harper @ Mission Ballroom, Denver
8/16, John Butler Trio and Yonder Mountain String Band @ Red Rocks
9/17, Jason Isbell @ Red Rocks
10/9, Raconteurs @ Mission Ballroom, Denver

Tickets not bought yet but considering:
5/2, Pigeons Playing Ping Pong @ Red Rocks
6/22, Wailers @ Washington's
8/21, Nathaniel Rateliff @ Red Rocks
8/23, California Honeydrops @ Mishawaka
9/27, Band of Skulls @ Marquis Theatre, Denver

Some recent additions:

5/16, Lord Huron @ Stanley Hotel (AWESOME show, a friend of a friend got me free tickets, room fit 300 people, and they sold out Red Rocks two nights ago)
9/1, Dave Matthews Band @ The Gorge, WA
9/24, Greta Van Fleet @ Red Rocks

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Saw Fitz and the Tantrums for free when the Final Four was in town. Was actually very surprised with how good they sounded, very similar to a recording, and they played a full set. I walked away impressed even though I'm not the biggest Fitz fan.

Can't wait for Tame Impala and Shakey Graves at Surly this summer. Contemplating going to Vampire Weekend. Really enjoyed their most recent album, but don't think I want to pay $80 for gen admish seats.

Pissed I missed the Matt Maeson show that was like $10 entry at 7th street.

Anyone else in the Twin Cities have conecerts they are looking forward to this summer/fall?

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Saw Fitz and the Tantrums for free when the Final Four was in town. Was actually very surprised with how good they sounded, very similar to a recording, and they played a full set. I walked away impressed even though I'm not the biggest Fitz fan.

Can't wait for Tame Impala and Shakey Graves at Surly this summer. Contemplating going to Vampire Weekend. Really enjoyed their most recent album, but don't think I want to pay $80 for gen admish seats.

Pissed I missed the Matt Maeson show that was like $10 entry at 7th street.

Anyone else in the Twin Cities have conecerts they are looking forward to this summer/fall?
Mt. Joy @ Varsity
Tyler Childers @ First Ave
Caamp @ First Ave

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Mt. Joy @ Varsity
Tyler Childers @ First Ave
Caamp @ First Ave
Thanks for the heads up on that Tyler show! Figured it was coming up too soon for me to pull it off but November gives me plenty of time. Have you gone to any shows at First Ave? Been wanting to see him in a smaller venue since I saw him at Hinterland last summer.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks for the heads up on that Tyler show! Figured it was coming up too soon for me to pull it off but November gives me plenty of time. Have you gone to any shows at First Ave? Been wanting to see him in a smaller venue since I saw him at Hinterland last summer.
He's playing two nights I think so plenty of opportunity. Yeah First Ave is awesome! Will be a great venue for him.

Reactions: HitItHard58

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
What a week for concerts last week. As I posted before, DMB was great. TOOL on Friday blew me away. I would have thought by this point in their career they'd just be going through the motions. They certainly did not. I had a buddy who left after the first song because the "bass guitar made it feel like his ear drums were going to explode."

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
What a week for concerts last week. As I posted before, DMB was great. TOOL on Friday blew me away. I would have thought by this point in their career they'd just be going through the motions. They certainly did not. I had a buddy who left after the first song because the "bass guitar made it feel like his ear drums were going to explode."

Saw DMB here in Dallas Saturday night. They took the stage at 8:00 and played non-stop until 11. Simply awesome, as always. There was a massive deluge of rain at the amphitheater so in DMB-fashion, they changed the set list and played "JTR" with the lyrics "Rain Down on Me".

Also saw Lucero on Friday night. The venue sucked but they were fun to listen to.

IMG_3129.jpg

Reactions: Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Saw DMB here in Dallas Saturday night. They took the stage at 8:00 and played non-stop until 11. Simply awesome, as always. There was a massive deluge of rain at the amphitheater so in DMB-fashion, they changed the set list and played "JTR" with the lyrics "Rain Down on Me".

Also saw Lucero on Friday night. The venue sucked but they were fun to listen to.

View attachment 64361
He's at his best outdoors, but the show at Wells last week was incredible.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Presale code is HOUSEFIRE. Tickets are on sale now!

Reactions: HitItHard58