2019 Concert Thread

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I saw her in Chicago House of Blues in 2003. It was terrible. She held a guitar for two entire songs stroking her hand up and down the neck but never playing a chord. I told my (future) wife, "I can't believe I bought two tickets to see Liz Phair give a Stratocaster a HJ."

I wouldn't go see her again, even if it were free.

you needed to see her in 1995 at the Ogden Theater in Denver. you live in colorado, right? That show was pretty incredible. I have buddies still talking about it as it was only her and a guitar and no backing band.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Beach Boys in Ames in May
REO Speedwagon at the Surf in Clear Lake, July

Ironically, I have been to a couple thousand shows in my life time. Used to work at Safari back in the day so I am counting those as well. In all my shows I have ever been to. REO Speedwagon with Night Ranger at Civic Center was the absolute loudest f'n show I have ever been to. I broke two Cigarettes off at the filter and put them in my ears for ear muffs. It was unreal. The show was good after I did the cig thing.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I was incredibly excited for TOOL on May 17. However, as we get closer and closer to the date and there is absolutely no news about a new album, I'm afraid I'm going to see TOOL for the 8th time playing the same damn songs they've played for the last 15 years. I've been a pretty loyal fan for the better part of 20 years, but I finally feel like I'm being played. Keep touring with the same greatest hits setlist with the band going through the motions while fans keep shelling out cash to see them.

Rant over.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Lukas nelson and Promise of the Real at Varsity Theater on Sept 25th!

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I was incredibly excited for TOOL on May 17. However, as we get closer and closer to the date and there is absolutely no news about a new album, I'm afraid I'm going to see TOOL for the 8th time playing the same damn songs they've played for the last 15 years. I've been a pretty loyal fan for the better part of 20 years, but I finally feel like I'm being played. Keep touring with the same greatest hits setlist with the band going through the motions while fans keep shelling out cash to see them.

Rant over.

I agree. The other part of that is this. Sometimes bands hit the stage in the career where I don't even have interest in the new songs. If Tool does in fact have new songs coming. I Hope it's soon. I don't want to go to a concert where they play 6 new songs and I have never heard them. I like knowing the songs.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Here goes my list (I live in Fort Collins CO).

4/26-27, FoCoMX Fort Collins Music Experiment - local festival made in the vein of SXSW
5/23, Reckless Kelly @ Washington's Fort Collins (new venue is killing it)
5/25, Bluebird Music Festival in Boulder - Jim James, Langhorne Slim, Neyla Pekarek (Lumineers), etc.
6/2, Trombone Shorty @ Washington's
6/6, Big Head Todd & the Monsters @ Washington's
6/24, Stevie Wonder @ Red Rocks (first show EVER!)
7/28, John Prine & CO Symphony Orchestra @ Red Rocks
8/2, My Morning Jacket @ Red Rocks
8/3, My Morning Jacket @ Red Rocks
8/4, Lake Street Dive @ Mishawaka
8/10, New West Fest (artists TBA)
8/12, Trombone Shorty and Ben Harper @ Mission Ballroom, Denver
8/16, John Butler Trio and Yonder Mountain String Band @ Red Rocks
9/17, Jason Isbell @ Red Rocks
10/9, Raconteurs @ Mission Ballroom, Denver

Tickets not bought yet but considering:
5/2, Pigeons Playing Ping Pong @ Red Rocks
6/22, Wailers @ Washington's
8/21, Nathaniel Rateliff @ Red Rocks
8/23, California Honeydrops @ Mishawaka
9/27, Band of Skulls @ Marquis Theatre, Denver

That John Prine show with the Colorado symphony is going to be really memorable for better or worse. I hope he makes it work, but when I listen to his music I don't ever think, "Hey, this is good, but you know what would make it even better? A classically trained symphony."

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I'm also going to the Tame Impala show at Surly this summer. It'll be my first concerts at their concert venue, and I can't wait to check it out.
I'll be at the Shakey/Dr. Dog one. Thinking about pulling the trigger for Tame Impala.

Saw Gary Clark Jr. there last year and it was awesome. Venue is really fun (helps that it was the perfect day). Beer price is actually pretty reasonable for a concert too!

• Friendly
Reactions: srjclone and Angie

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I agree. The other part of that is this. Sometimes bands hit the stage in the career where I don't even have interest in the new songs. If Tool does in fact have new songs coming. I Hope it's soon. I don't want to go to a concert where they play 6 new songs and I have never heard them. I like knowing the songs.
Normally I'm in the same boat, but I feel different about TOOL. I've seen them so many times and followed them now for 20+ years, I know all of the old stuff by heart and I've seen a lot of it live. I want to see something new and not just a band going through the motions to collect a check.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
My Morning Jacket in August
Mike Doughty next week (if I can shake off this cold)
Liz Phair - later in the month
the National - Portland
Mark Knopfler - September
Death Cab for Cutie - June

Need to figure out how to see Wilco and Lake Street Dive.

Added Lake Street Dive in Aspen at Belly Up. should be great.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
It's on my birthday this year in Chicago. My three sons are going with me. Wouldn't miss it.

My son was 10 when we took him to the Book of Souls tour w/ Ghost. It is strangely a family scene at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: CYKID

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Saw Rival Sons and The Sheepdogs at First Ave last night. Incredible performances by both bands. They absolutely killed it. If you like Rock n Roll I would highly recommend seeing either! Insanely talented.

• Friendly
Reactions: srjclone and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Saw Rival Sons and The Sheepdogs at First Ave last night. Incredible performances by both bands. They absolutely killed it. If you like Rock n Roll I would highly recommend seeing either! Insanely talented.

I love both of them, particularly Sheepdogs. I bet they're great live!

Reactions: CloniesForLife

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
That John Prine show with the Colorado symphony is going to be really memorable for better or worse. I hope he makes it work, but when I listen to his music I don't ever think, "Hey, this is good, but you know what would make it even better? A classically trained symphony."

I've seen three shows there with the symphony:

Amos Lee
Flaming Lips performing The Soft Bulletin
Warren Haynes performing songs of Jerry Garcia

All three shows were great, but different in their own way. I don't think they would even try it if it weren't going to be awesome.

• Friendly

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Tomorrow!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-flaming-lips-the-claypool-lennon-delirium-tickets-60596839779

I'm trying to convince Janny - I looove Flaming Lips, and so I want to go see them. He thinks they are a little weird, but he always loved Primus (I like them a lot, but not quite as much), so I think he'd go for Les Claypool.

I was so jealous when I saw this ticket announced for DSM. I saw Primus open for Flaming Lips at Red Rocks a few years back, and it was a great show. Although Primus played extra long, and I think it cut the Lips' set short.

I've taken several people to their first Flaming Lips show - and I always tell them, yes it will be weird. And yes, it will be awesome. There is nothing like it, not even close. If you honestly can see a Flaming Lips show and not have a good time, I would have serious questions about your personality.

• Friendly

Help Support Us

Become a patron