Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Say GameDay does come to Ames...

Where are the settin' up?

Was talking to a buddy about this. North side of Jack Trice? Or out in the grass lots somewhere? What about campus?

North side of the stadium, where Chris does his radio show. That would be the perfect spot, because the backdrop would be awesome.

Reactions: SWA4CY

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
You guys that don't want gameday for Iowa sound like tavern hawks.... Not one negative can come from this.

Thousands of Hawk fans in Ames and you can't think of one negative that could come from it? Did you even try? I'll bet there are Cyclone fans who can think of some. It would be great to host Gameday, but it is not without potential problems, which is probably true wherever they go.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Thousands of Hawk fans in Ames and you can't think of one negative that could come from it? Did you even try? I'll bet there are Cyclone fans who can think of some. It would be great to host Gameday, but it is not without potential problems, which is probably true wherever they go.

You think things would happen that will be detrimental to the ISU football program? Thousand of Hawk fans will be there regardless of gameday.

Apr 19, 2006
Busy, for sure.. just seems if it was up there it would take away from the tailgating scene, which is what were known for.

That's why I think they'd find a location around the stadium for it.

The drone shots of the tailgating lots would be awesome to see. I'm sure they could still do that from central campus, but atmosphere there would be a little different.

Next question... guest picker?

Hoiberg would have been a decent pick until the nebraska hiring. With our luck they would bring in Chizik. They could pick a few of the past coaches that have gone through Ames. Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, Johnny Majors, of just put a computer up on stage or an atomic bomb (Manhattan Project).

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Agree that I wouldn’t want it to be that game but they do UM OSU every year and it seems to work out just fine. Guest picker is a good question and one I was discussing recently. I don’t think sage/Seneca would be very good because they are not that recognizable outside of hardcore Fb fans and Iowans. Definitely don’t want a random celeb either. Out of all the famous actors from Iowa pick one that we can claim is a fan. Aquaman maybe?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Ron Livingston is a Cedar Rapids/Marion guy, but went to Yale. Possibly a neutral party.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Probably not likely, but I know the owner's of Coldwater golf are very close to the athletic dept. How cool would it be to set up there with the stadium in the background.

Too soon. :(

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Guest picker(s) could be the leading presidential candidates. You know they will be there trying to hog the spotlights anyway. They always do.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Probably not likely, but I know the owner's of Coldwater golf are very close to the athletic dept. How cool would it be to set up there with the stadium in the background.

I'd rather showcase the campus or tailgating, but doing this would probably put Tom Randall as the guest since his dad built the course and he is a former Cyclone and played in a Super Bowl for Dallas.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Can't have gameday in Ames against ToE...no historic Kinnick Stadium or wave to the "unpaid for" Children's Hospital....:eek:

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Why are you guys suggesting some bs neutral pick. Every school that hosts game day gets their homer guest. Shouldn't be any different if we host for the Cy Hawk game. Georges for the win.
Georges would be great for Iowa St fans, but he has zero recognition for college football fans. I'm certain Corso, Desmond, and Kirk don't even know who he is. However, sadly Iowa St does not have any real recognizable figure, outside of Iowa St fans.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Georges would be great for Iowa St fans, but he has zero recognition for college football fans. I'm certain Corso, Desmond, and Kirk don't even know who he is. However, sadly Iowa St does not have any real recognizable figure, outside of Iowa St fans.

Yeah, he doesn't have the star appeal of Jim Cantore (previously a guest picker).

Niang is perfect, or just have Slipknot on stage for the picks. We're already overthinking this stuff...

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I think later the kickoff put it on central campus. If it's an early kickoff put it near Jack Trice.
Awe c'mon people. Think FIRSTS. What about a 'mobile' game day structured to be in multiple places throughout the day. Groups on campus were once able to make massive floats move around. So, why not build a moving platform. Everything is piped up via satellite so it just doesn't require a 'fixed' location.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Yeah, he doesn't have the star appeal of Jim Cantore (previously a guest picker).

Niang is perfect, or just have Slipknot on stage for the picks. We're already overthinking this stuff...
Nah, Sage.

But really, put the full court press on Slipknot. It's perfect - Corso does the whole segment with a Slipknot mask on and then tries to put Cy's head on over top of it, can't manage it, says "f&ck it" and takes the Slipknot mask off to put on Cy's head.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
or just have Slipknot on stage for the picks. We're already overthinking this stuff...

Wow. Slipknot would not be the image most college football fans have for our state.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
the same system they have run since Deuteronomy
FlimsyNaturalBalloonfish-small.gif

• Funny
Reactions: stateofmind