Downtown Minneapolis recommendations

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Spending a couple of days in downtown MSP this weekend and looking for good beer spots.

We are attending AAU volleyball tournament so will have multiple 2-3 hour windows. I see Inbound Brewery is having 420 celebration. Anyone had their beers?

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Spending a couple of days in downtown MSP this weekend and looking for good beer spots.

We are attending AAU volleyball tournament so will have multiple 2-3 hour windows. I see Inbound Brewery is having 420 celebration. Anyone had their beers?

Inbound has solid, if unspectacular, beer (but I'm not a beer snob so it's 4.7 Google review might speak more to it being better than my opinion) and is one of my favorite breweries to visit based on location and layout. Plus, you are then within walking distance to Fulton and Modist if you want to check some more out. The North Loop is just a great area all around to walk around in.

Just across the river has some really fun spots, too, in Bauhaus and Tattersall (liquor distillery). You can't really go wrong in that area.

dkgash4ISU

Aug 5, 2015
Inbound is solid. I personally prefer Modist if your'e going to be in that area though. As mentioned above though, it's fairly easy to get to both if you want to.

It's supposed to be pretty nice here on Saturday, so I bet a lot of places open up their patios. Brits pub has a huge patio, although they are a little more expensive compared to other places. Rojo just opened on Nicolette Mall, kind of near the Target store downtown. They have pretty good Margaritas, but not the greatest beer selection..

If you're looking for beer, City Works and Gluek's both have decent selections and are fairly close to Target Center. Or there's always HopCat, which has a wide selection as well.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Thanks, didn't realize there was a HopCat. I went to the one in Grand Rapids 10-12 years ago before the craft beer scene exploded and thought it was great.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I agree that Modist is my favorite of the North Loop breweries. If you're in that area, Freehouse had decent beer and a pretty good onsite restaurant. On the other side of downtown, I'd say the same about Dayblock.

If you're near the convention center, you probably should go to Brit's. The rooftop patio is really a cool place to hang out.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
If you are driving up. The first rest area (Welcome Center) n Minnesota on I-35 had a brochure with breweries listed for the state and MSP. Its been a while since I stopped but they may still have one.

I do like Surly, most likely the best know there and one of the bigger ones. Otherwise, I've had good stuff from Fulton, Dangerous Man and Indeed.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
I travel up there for work every couple months. The Surly facility a little east of downtown is really nice and has decent food. The best beer I've probably had is just north of downtown at Dangerous Man.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
If you are driving up. The first rest area (Welcome Center) n Minnesota on I-35 had a brochure with breweries listed for the state and MSP. Its been a while since I stopped but they may still have one.

I do like Surly, most likely the best know there and one of the bigger ones. Otherwise, I've had good stuff from Fulton, Dangerous Man and Indeed.

You're in the minority there.....at least if you're talking about the sports threads.

Reactions: BCClone

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
Modist and Fulton are the best breweries in the downtown area. Inbound has okay beer, but the taproom is fantastic. Finnegan's is usually solid and a great taproom. Skip Clockwerks. If you go up to the Northeast area, Dangerous Man is great but is usually packed. Hit up Barrel Theory if you can go over to St Paul.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Modist, Inbound and Fulton all have good beers.

First Draft is also really cool. You pour your own and pay at the end. Good way to try a little bit of a few different beers.

Tons of good places to eat.

Also not far from NE Minneapolis which has a lot of good breweries

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron