Best time to buy a camper

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I have a family member looking at buying a used travel trailer for a permanent camping spot. I have pretty much no experience with them and am wondering, seasonally speaking, is there a good time to purchase?

I figured it would be at the end of the camping season, but somebody mentioned that now can be a good time with people trading/looking to sell older models to upgrade.

Any seasoned camping people that care to offer an opinion?

2morrow

May 10, 2015
Altoona
Best deals I have found for new ones happen in December/January. This is a good time to be visiting lots for used ones. I know three people trading in and getting their new ones this week.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Never.

Get a tent and down sleeping bag and other simple camping essentials and you're set. :)

No experience here either than what I've seen and they look like a pain in the ass compared to just having those things in the trunk at the ready.

• Disagree
Reactions: peteypie and 2020cy

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
This is the time of year to sell a camper. They can go crazy fast. I've heard of multiple people waiting on someones front yard just in case someone backs out. Of you do buy one in the spring be ready to act fast and don't expect a deal.

If you want a deal wait till fall or winter. People don't want to keep a camper and pay storage on it so they will be willing to lower the price.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I think certainly used is the way to go. Who knows on timing, but look around for private sellers. A ton of people buy brand new campers and sell after a couple of years, usually because they just don't use them.

• Agree
Reactions: DarkStar

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
The two best days of your life...
The day you buy your camper and the day you sell your camper.

I absolutely agree with my first camper. I had no idea what I was buying. Turns out I bought some one else's problem.
I disagree with my current camper. Knew what to look for. Knew exactly what I wanted. I know what maintenance needs to be done and have had 5 great years with it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DarkStar

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
If you have a permanent spot it probably isn't a bad idea. I know a few families that all have theirs together so every weekend they all stay out at the campsite. They love it, of course with the flooding I'm not sure they'll get to use them much this year.

For travelling unless you use it a lot it isn't worth it. I know a guy in his 60's that bought a 5th wheel toyhauler because he was tired of sleeping on the ground. He sold it a year later because he could just put that monthly payment into a savings account and just get a nice hotel room and still come out ahead.