Blum: Hello Mizzou, old foe

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I will say with how much a did and still do hate the Fuskers, I forgot how much I disliked those inbred little bastards from the south.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Good article.

That 4 OT game... %&$# !!!!! Probably one of the earliest games I actually remember. Real heartbreaker for a 7 year old 101.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
“Hilton Magic” was coined six years later, when Iowa State defeated third ranked Mizzou in 1989, the Des Moines Register headline the next morning read, “Hilton Magic Spells ‘Upset’ One More Time.”

I can't believe that the term Hilton Magic has only been around is '89.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
When I think of Missouri, I can't help remembering Jeff Grayer going up into the stands when students (the antlers I think they called themselves) who were mocking his mom by if memory serves me right calling his mom who again memory serves me right had MS a fat cow. Jeff handled it far better than I would have and ever since my dislike for the tigers has been at near hawkeye levels.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
My memories of Mizzou. "Sit down Norm!" and The Antlers. Wow things have change, every time a College Basketball Toughest Places to Play article comes out, I instantly go back to the 90's and remember the cutthroat ruthless Antlers. Man, those people scare me today. A bunch of Duke fans painted in blue, and jumping up and down maybe intimidating but at least they didn't violently threaten you, your mom and your unborn children.

• Winner
Reactions: Knownothing

ISU0454

Apr 10, 2006
All sports are more fun when you have villains to hate on. We used to have Stewart, Sutton, Tubbs...even Roy Williams...that we all loved to hate on...now...who is there that's close to that level...Huggy? It ain't like it used to be! Get over it old man...as my kids would say!

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Jason Sutherland is still one of my most hated players. That guy was Aaron Craft with dirtier play and less talent.

And Clarence Gilbert seemed like he was incapable of missing when he played us.

I hope we can beat them soundly followed by a nice loud "Big Twelve" or mocking "SEC" chant to send them to the locker room.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
All sports are more fun when you have villains to hate on. We used to have Stewart, Sutton, Tubbs...even Roy Williams..

Ah, Billy Tubbs. Villanous for sure, but colorful almost on the Orr level.

A legendary story, after fans threw debris onto the floor, Tubbs took the PA microphone: "Regardless of how terrible the officiating is, please don't throw things onto the floor."

The official? Ed Hightower. The opponent? Missouri, of course.

Big 8 basketball in the '80s was totally awesome, dude.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
I miss the Big 8 in general. Lots of teams and players to hate and the rowdies in Hilton were allowed to be front and center.

One xmas break while I was in school, we played Mizzou and we got 1st row right behind Norm. We let that old b@stard have it. He hated us, we beat them. End of story.. F Mizzou, they left us, I hope they continue to suck

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ah, Billy Tubbs. Villanous for sure, but colorful almost on the Orr level.

A legendary story, after fans threw debris onto the floor, Tubbs took the PA microphone: "Regardless of how terrible the officiating is, please don't throw things onto the floor."

The official? Ed Hightower. The opponent? Missouri, of course.

Big 8 basketball in the '80s was totally awesome, dude.
Here's the video. I have no idea why it repeats itself.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
My memories of Mizzou. "Sit down Norm!" and The Antlers. Wow things have change, every time a College Basketball Toughest Places to Play article comes out, I instantly go back to the 90's and remember the cutthroat ruthless Antlers. Man, those people scare me today. A bunch of Duke fans painted in blue, and jumping up and down maybe intimidating but at least they didn't violently threaten you, your mom and your unborn children.

Sit down Norm was the best

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron