Pheasant Hunting

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Anyone have experience pheasant hunting? Any tips or advice for a first timer (never been hunting in general)?
Any preference on shotgun gauge, action type? What about the choke or size shot you use?

I have a young lab and would like to take him with me, but again, he has no formal hunting training or experience. Any good ways to train him to obey out in the open fields?

Thanks for any help!

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
How old is the pup? Hopefully you started obedience training shortly after weaning - the usual commands like sit, stay, come, etc. About 10 minutes a day (their interest starts to wander pretty quickly) is best.

One of the best ways to train a dog for pheasants (IMHO) is to save some wings from birds you have shot, keep them in the freezer, and then take them out and take the dog somewhere that you can conceal them. Have the dog find as many as he/she can - their nose will lead them - and be sure to praise at each find.

You can also make a dummy out of the lower leg of an old pair of jeans. Stuff it with rags and tie the ends together securely. This will be about the size of a rooster for them to retrieve. Get some pheasant scent, apply it to the dummy, and then throw it and have the pup retrieve it. Be patient, as the pup may not want to bring it directly to you at first. Again, praise is a good reward, although I've found some cheap hot dogs cut into chunks work too.

Just be patient and keep working. Eventually, for the dog, the work will be the reward.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Depending on how much hunting land you have to hunt and where, if you have the choice, one secret is that fields near harvested corn fields tend to be better than fields near harvested bean fields. The reason being that the pheasants prefer to feed on the corn over the beans and therefore tend to be in fields near those.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Start early on getting permission to hunt on people's land. Look for good public hunting areas and take your pup there before season to get used to hunting (obviously without a gun). Whistle train the dog, you don't want a sore throat from yelling. Get dog used to gunfire, capgun while eating or playing, or take to a trap shooting area. Be patient, it's taken some of my dogs two or three years to figure it out. Best scent for training with some moisture on ground like dew, frost or fresh snow. 12 gauge 2 3/4" 5 shot 1 1/4 oz, $10-12/box, you don't need $20/ box shells.

Last edited:

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
How old is the pup? Hopefully you started obedience training shortly after weaning - the usual commands like sit, stay, come, etc. About 10 minutes a day (their interest starts to wander pretty quickly) is best.

One of the best ways to train a dog for pheasants (IMHO) is to save some wings from birds you have shot, keep them in the freezer, and then take them out and take the dog somewhere that you can conceal them. Have the dog find as many as he/she can - their nose will lead them - and be sure to praise at each find.

You can also make a dummy out of the lower leg of an old pair of jeans. Stuff it with rags and tie the ends together securely. This will be about the size of a rooster for them to retrieve. Get some pheasant scent, apply it to the dummy, and then throw it and have the pup retrieve it. Be patient, as the pup may not want to bring it directly to you at first. Again, praise is a good reward, although I've found some cheap hot dogs cut into chunks work too.

Just be patient and keep working. Eventually, for the dog, the work will be the reward.

Thanks for the info! He is very obedient around the house, but he loves being outdoors and having the freedom to run. I just worry that he will get too far out ahead of me, to where he is in danger of being shot, or that he's flushing birds too soon and out of my range.

Should I just take him out the first couple times with my group and not even bring my gun? Just work on training him as much as possible? Let him off leash or use a long leash to keep him close?
I am planning on buying one of those dummies and scent from Scheels to work on training in the backyard.

Any experience with e-collars, what to buy? I've been doing some research. He is 3yo, never had one (e-collar, shock collar, etc). My first concern would be getting him very used to it so it doesn't adversely affect his behavior. But beyond that, I've read the e-collars should only be used as a reinforcement for commands the dog already knows. Well if we are out in the field at a new place he wants to explore and he's not listening/coming back to me, will the e-collar really work if I buzz him?

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Start early on getting permission to hunt on people's land. Look for good public hunting areas and take your pup there before season to get used to hunting (obviously without a gun). Whistle train the dog, you don't want a sore throat from yelling. Get dog used to gunfire, capgun while eating or playing, or take to a trap shooting area. Be patient, it's taken some of my dogs two or three years to figure it out. Best scent for training with some moisture on ground like dew, frost or fresh snow. 12 gauge 2 3/4" 5 shot 1 1/4 oz, $10-12/box, you don't need $20/ box shells.

I'm going with some relatives, I believe it's all private farm land/CRP that they have connections to.

I already have some heavy duty upland pants and my blaze vest. Any recommended boots? I have some good low cut ones, but I think I want something hhigher on the ankle for more support walking through fields. Obviously I want something that is waterproof and durable.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Thanks for the info! He is very obedient around the house, but he loves being outdoors and having the freedom to run. I just worry that he will get too far out ahead of me, to where he is in danger of being shot, or that he's flushing birds too soon and out of my range.

Should I just take him out the first couple times with my group and not even bring my gun? Just work on training him as much as possible? Let him off leash or use a long leash to keep him close?
I am planning on buying one of those dummies and scent from Scheels to work on training in the backyard.

Any experience with e-collars, what to buy? I've been doing some research. He is 3yo, never had one (e-collar, shock collar, etc). My first concern would be getting him very used to it so it doesn't adversely affect his behavior. But beyond that, I've read the e-collars should only be used as a reinforcement for commands the dog already knows. Well if we are out in the field at a new place he wants to explore and he's not listening/coming back to me, will the e-collar really work if I buzz him?

At 3 years old, his habits might be pretty well ingrained by now. Labs are obedient, but they are also headstrong and determined. They are generally flushing dogs, so when birds run they will want to run with them.

You just have to work the dog and establish a range that you are comfortable with. It might be helpful to put him on a leash (whatever length you feel good about) and just work some cover without a gun before season starts. That way he can get a feel for where he's supposed to be, and (hopefully) not get out too far in front. Remember the praise when he acts correctly.

As far as collars, I never had to use one. (I guess I'm lucky in that regard.) If you decide to use one, make sure you try it on yourself first, so you know what he is feeling. Most are adjustable, it will depend on how stubborn he is. Good luck!

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'm going with some relatives, I believe it's all private farm land/CRP that they have connections to.

I already have some heavy duty upland pants and my blaze vest. Any recommended boots? I have some good low cut ones, but I think I want something hhigher on the ankle for more support walking through fields. Obviously I want something that is waterproof and durable.

Rocky and Danner brands are both good. Get a higher boot, support is key if you're going to be walking all day. Waterproof, for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: Steubs24

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Rocky and Danner brands are both good. Get a higher boot, support is key if you're going to be walking all day. Waterproof, for sure.
Agree. I also like to use Filson chaps (single tin is fine, double tin are really nice but overkill) for the wet morning hunts.

If you are in IA, you need to watch the type of shot you use. A lot of places are lead free now when it comes to public. I think steel is still the most economical.

• Informative
Reactions: oldman