RB usage this season

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I don't see Warren getting as many touches (if any) this year. I feel like we might see 2 running backs in the backfield at times. I really can't wait to see Kene.
I'd say
70% Montgomery
25% Kene/Croney
5% Lang/Warren

Montgomery will not get 70% of carries. If we average 40 rush attempts per game then that would be 28 carries per game. No way. Look for him to maybe be at 50% of carries. Or 20 carries per game.

Mike Warren will get a few carries. Maybe average a couple carries a game. Lang about the same. Croney and Kene will probably get about about 6 carries apiece her game. And there will be some QB carries as well. Joel Lanning had the second most carries last year.

Campbell will keep Montgomery fresh. With the running backs we have it is foolish to pound him as hard as you are suggesting.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Montgomery will not get 70% of carries. If we average 40 rush attempts per game then that would be 28 carries per game. No way. Look for him to maybe be at 50% of carries. Or 20 carries per game.

Mike Warren will get a few carries. Maybe average a couple carries a game. Lang about the same. Croney and Kene will probably get about about 6 carries apiece her game. And there will be some QB carries as well. Joel Lanning had the second most carries last year.

Campbell will keep Montgomery fresh. With the running backs we have it is foolish to pound him as hard as you are suggesting.

If ISU averages 40 rushes/game, we're possibly looking at a fun season. That would show a run game that controls the game, which is what ISU needs.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I really think there will be some additional "non-traditional" touches for the RBs this year. Especially Kene, who might fill in for some of Trevor Ryen's end-arounds and WR screens. I agree that we'll see more 2 RB sets and some swing passes - anything to get Kene the ball with some space in front of him. Also more RBs lining up in the slot for end arounds and such.

• Agree
Reactions: Clone Nation

Clone Nation

Aug 1, 2018

We averaged 32 rush attempts last year... I doubt we are going to run the ball 40 times a game. I think we run the ball 30 times next year. I think DM get 17-20 carries a game. (He had 20 carries a game last year). Croney and Kene will get 4 each and the maybe Warren and lang will get a couple carries.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I must be missing with croney. I really don't think he looks very impressive. He reminds me of the former RBs we had that were good before Campbell. Solid backs but just not in the same class as these other guys in the big 12. If Warren can get the fumble thing down he is a lot better option as well I think. Idk maybe someone can provide some visual evidence but to me I would rank our backs with mont and kene well above the rest with lang being 3

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If ISU averages 40 rushes/game, we're possibly looking at a fun season. That would show a run game that controls the game, which is what ISU needs.

Offensive Line will be better. Matt Campbell’s last 2 teams at Toledo averaged 44 carries and 41 carries per game. Expect this next year to be at about that level.

Offensive Line issues were the reason we have had less carries in Campbell’s first 2 years.

No way we only rush 30 times per game this next year. We will pound the rock. Keep our defense rested with ball control. We have the weapons to make opponents who stack the box pay dearly.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I must be missing with croney. I really don't think he looks very impressive. He reminds me of the former RBs we had that were good before Campbell. Solid backs but just not in the same class as these other guys in the big 12. If Warren can get the fumble thing down he is a lot better option as well I think. Idk maybe someone can provide some visual evidence but to me I would rank our backs with mont and kene well above the rest with lang being 3

Croney has good hands and solid fundamentals. Just doesn’t have elite speed. But a very good solid player. He improved immensely last season. His first couple years he was dealing with the gunshot that he suffered from prior to his freshman year. That really hurt him. Croney led the team in yards per carry last year.

Kene will likely get kickoff return duties. Which will give him touches in addition to his carries. Lang is still very inexperienced. Great potential but I don’t see a RS Frosh with little experience getting many carries with the RB’s we have.

Mike Warren had some injury issues last year. Missed several games. ISU backs had one fumble the whole year. A questionable fumble by Montgomery versus Memphis.

Clone Nation

Aug 1, 2018
He has a good mix of power and speed. The coaches seem to love him, so that says a lot. He's the perfect back up for DM. Kene and Lang will bring speed and elusiveness

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015

Croney is easily the #2 back. He was very effective with the opportunities he got in the Baylor and Kansas State games. Campbell has commented that he's a complete back.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
What is understated is DM's pass blocking. I'd say put in Croney, Warren or Kene on obvious passing 3rd downs just to keep DM fresh but his blocking and receiving ability might not allow that unless the others can adequately fill in.

I take them saying Croney is the most complete to mean that he is a better blocker than DM because I doubt he’s a better runner or receiver than DM. That being said, I suspect that we will see Croney replace Montgomery for complete series rather than individual plays.

The way I see it is that Montgomery is the guy in your main offense, Croney is his backup, and Kene is the guy you’re spending most of your play calling creativity and energy to get the ball to.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I hate to be the guy that thinks trick plays are much more than gimmicks, but don’t forget that DM has a cannon for an arm. I bet we’ll see him chuck it after a backwards swing pass sometime this year.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

It seems foolish to pound Montgomery until you’re in a fight against Iowa, OU, or god forbid, the jackrabbits, and you realize he is one of the best players in the country, one of your true difference makers, and maybe the only guy who can get you a first down when nothing is working.

We always have these bright ideas about resting guys in the off-season, but things change when somebody hits you in the face.

Help Support Us

Become a patron