Former ISU Coach Earle Bruce Has Died

OregonCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 4, 2010
North Canton, Ohio
I rarely post on here but can't resist this. Earle Bruce was the head football coach at my high school, Sandusky High in Ohio, early 1960s. One of my fondest memories is when Earle was refereeing an intramural basketball game and hit me with a technical for mouthing off to him after a questionable call. Hey, Earle Bruce tee'd me up once!

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
View attachment 54664 View attachment 54665 View attachment 54666 Earle is the man. I have many fond memories of his days at ISU. My ex-wife was pregnant with my son when we took the trip down to the Peach Bowl. I still have the front page of The Peach when we beat Nebraska in 1976. I also have pictures from the game and of the students carrying the goal posts down the field and headed for Lake LaVerne. Great times, the best of times for Cyclone football. RIP Earle.
Nice post! Beyond bringing back great great memories of ISU glory days and the DMR Big Peach section, I particularly enjoyed the headline of 'Hawks Drop 16th In Row to Purdue'.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
RIP coach. Once a Cyclone, always a Cyclone.

I guess I've never heard that he had a Massillon connection as well.

From that LA Times article that was linked...

Bruce didn't get fired because of his coaching abilities. If there's one thing Bruce can do, it's win football games. As a high school coach, Bruce lost only 12 of 94 games. His teams at fabled Washington High in Massillon, Ohio, were 20-0.

Reactions: aauummm

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Was talking about Earle with a buddy of mine yesterday and he reminded me of this gem. Earle and Jim Zabel at their finest.

I loved watching that show when I was a kid. How did those coaches have the time to go to Des Moines and tape a show each week during FB season? Truly a different time!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Nice post! Beyond bringing back great great memories of ISU glory days and the DMR Big Peach section, I particularly enjoyed the headline of 'Hawks Drop 16th In Row to Purdue'.

If Bruce had stayed at ISU there's a real possibility his legacy at ISU would be more similar to what Hayden Fry did at Iowa and Fry isn't as much of a big fish in a small pond since ISU was so bad in the 80's. One of Fry's most important things was keeping a thumb on ISU to help the brand.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
If Bruce had stayed at ISU there's a real possibility his legacy at ISU would be more similar to what Hayden Fry did at Iowa and Fry isn't as much of a big fish in a small pond since ISU was so bad in the 80's. One of Fry's most important things was keeping a thumb on ISU to help the brand.
I agree. And maybe several Big 8/Big 12 championships and a bowled in stadium years ago. The possibilities.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
View attachment 54664 View attachment 54665 View attachment 54666 Earle is the man. I have many fond memories of his days at ISU. My ex-wife was pregnant with my son when we took the trip down to the Peach Bowl. I still have the front page of The Peach when we beat Nebraska in 1976. I also have pictures from the game and of the students carrying the goal posts down the field and headed for Lake LaVerne. Great times, the best of times for Cyclone football. RIP Earle.

I remember that front page because it was reprinted in The Bomb that school year (my older sister's first year at ISU). And I still recall that subhead "5-way tie" for Big 8 lead ... I think all five were 4-2 with a game remaining (Iowa State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, Oklahoma State).

And as we've noted many times, it's mind-boggling today that ISU didn't get a bowl bid, even being so close to reaching the Orange Bowl.

I don't remember exactly how tiebreaking would've work at that time -- I'm sure plenty of CF'ers can clarify. If ISU had beaten OSU in finale to finish 5-2, and OU and CU won their final games (as actually occurred), that would've been 3 teams at 5-2, but Oklahoma and Colorado each beat us, so would they also need to lose in final week? (CU ended up getting Orange Bowl bid).

Reactions: aauummm