Former ISU Coach Earle Bruce Has Died

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
1978-isu-coaching-staff-photo.jpg

BoilerClone

Dec 1, 2010
Indiana
Back in 2011 I attended the Notre Dame v. Navy football game and happened to sit next to Earl's brother who was visiting Notre Dame Stadium with his wife for the first time. He asked if I was always a Notre Dame fan, and I told him I married into it and was actually a Cyclone. He said, "Oh, my brother used to live in Ames..." and eventually revealed who his brother was!

For what it's worth, he told me that Earl absolutely loved Iowa State and Ames, and that in the end he had some regrets about leaving for Columbus. In Ames he was loved, there was less pressure, and he was excited about what he was building. In Columbus it was "what have you done for me lately" and much more stress on him and his family.

Anyway, I'm hoping that Campbell has heard the same... :)

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Back in 2011 I attended the Notre Dame v. Navy football game and happened to sit next to Earl's brother who was visiting Notre Dame Stadium with his wife for the first time. He asked if I was always a Notre Dame fan, and I told him I married into it and was actually a Cyclone. He said, "Oh, my brother used to live in Ames..." and eventually revealed who his brother was!

For what it's worth, he told me that Earl absolutely loved Iowa State and Ames, and that in the end he had some regrets about leaving for Columbus. In Ames he was loved, there was less pressure, and he was excited about what he was building. In Columbus it was "what have you done for me lately" and much more stress on him and his family.

Anyway, I'm hoping that Campbell has heard the same... :)
Those teams were amazing, and those great 1970s teams and coaches (Majors and Bruce) always seem(ed) to mention in interviews that Ames was the best place for them. But of course, Ames was/is a transitional job for most coaches that have great coaching skills and successful teams. I always heard that many ISU faculty members did not care too much for coach Bruce. I assume they were jealous and were hoping the university would de-emphasize athletics.

I, too, hope Campbell continues to buck the trend and keep his family in Ames. It appears to me that Campbell has just as much coaching ability as Bruce and Majors. The future looks really bright in Ames.

Earle Bruce and his teams are what made me a Cyclone fan.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Those teams were amazing, and those great 1970s teams and coaches (Majors and Bruce) always seem(ed) to mention in interviews that Ames was the best place for them. But of course, Ames was/is a transitional job for most coaches that have great coaching skills and successful teams. I always heard that many ISU faculty members did not care too much for coach Bruce. I assume they were jealous and were hoping the university would de-emphasize athletics.

I, too, hope Campbell continues to buck the trend and keep his family in Ames. It appears to me that Campbell has just as much coaching ability as Bruce and Majors. The future looks really bright in Ames.

Earle Bruce and his teams are what made me a Cyclone fan.
Woody Hayes punching someone was probably the worst thing that ever happened to ISU athletics......
RIP.....

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
Johnny Majors turned me into an Iowa State fan, and Earle Bruce solidified it. It was a tough beginning for Bruce, but he really made it happen for ISU. I agree with a previous poster that Woody Hayes was probably the worst thing to ever happen to ISU athletics...Johnny Orr was the best!

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Still remember Earle pounding on the door next to my room in Wallace out at the Towers. He had a WR from Florida that wasn't too keen on going to any classes and Earle was paying him a visit. Can't remember the kid's name other than he went by 'Silk'.

Reactions: cyhiphopp