***Official 2018 Winter Olympics Thread***

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The announcers were also saying something about maybe having the wrong wax on her board. Even so, never comes through when gold is on the line.

She's come through at world championship and X-games events. These people don't only compete once every 4 years you know. Yes, I realize those don't carry quite the same amount of pressure, but I'm guessing its not THAT much different for the athlete.

• Dislike
Reactions: cyclones360 and Doc

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
She's come through at world championship and X-games events. These people don't only compete once every 4 years you know. Yes, I realize those don't carry quite the same amount of pressure, but I'm guessing its not THAT much different for the athlete.

That's great.

But how many people watch world championships and X Games events? And how many people watch the Olympics?

In fact, if you were to ask the athletes, would they care more about the world championships and X Games, or would they care more about the Olympics?

The Olympics are the "main event", and she has never been able to get it done when the lights are brightest.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
That's great.

But how many people watch world championships and X Games events? And how many people watch the Olympics?

In fact, if you were to ask the athletes, would they care more about the world championships and X Games, or would they care more about the Olympics?

The Olympics are the "main event", and she has never been able to get it done when the lights are brightest.
Maybe you didn't read the part were I said those events don't carry as much pressure as the olympics? I agree she has choked in the Olympics. That doesn't mean she hasn't come through in big events though. World cups are big events.

• Dislike
Reactions: cyclones360

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Maybe you didn't read the part were I said those events don't carry as much pressure as the olympics? I agree she has choked in the Olympics. That doesn't mean she hasn't come through in big events though. World cups are big events.

And maybe you're absolutely wrong.

You want to know the kind of people that break out "she won world championships and X Games"? The kind of people that have to reach down to find any excuse available for choking on the biggest stage, the Olympics, when the entire world is watching.

But go ahead - have fun with the "but she won events when nobody was watching" excuse.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

You want to know the kind of people that break out "she won world championships and X Games"? The kind of people that have to reach down to find any excuse available for choking on the biggest stage, the Olympics, when the entire world is watching.

But go ahead - have fun with the "but she won events when nobody was watching" excuse.
Nobody watches world championships or the x-games? That's strange they even have them.

• Dislike
Reactions: cyclones360

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Just a heads up for anyone that thinks they would like watching some US Hockey replay this afternoon. Don’t do it.

That's one of the reasons I was happy this morning when freestyle arials came on. Couldn't wait for that US hockey crap show to get over with.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
That last German bobsled run was awesome. The sled flipped as it crossed the finish line and everyone was holding their breath because it was a nasty crash. Once they pull the driver out of the sled he starts jumping up and down with arms in the air because that run put his team in first place.

Reactions: pulse

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
It's as if you don't understand there are sports played worldwide that aren't commonly played in the United States and Canada.

I must be Xenophobic. I don't think you get what I was saying really....you are almost 180 degrees off actually. Oh well, meme it. The Ugly American tourist phenomenon.....yeah, it is true I know, but overstated.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Is the whole world as angry about it as you are?

It's very odd when average folks think they should be dissapointed in an athlete like it matters on an actual global scale.

Sometimes things don't work out in crucial moments. Last I knew it's why the NCAA tourney is so popular.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Is the whole world as angry about it as you are?

It's very odd when average folks think they should be dissapointed in an athlete like it matters on an actual global scale.

Sometimes things don't work out in crucial moments. Last I knew it's why the NCAA tourney is so popular.

I gotta believe choking on the biggest stage pales in comparison to the years and years and years they've spent dedicating their lives just for the chance to compete at the highest level. That right there is pretty cool and deserves respect.

NONE of them are "heroes", but to be considered one of the world's best at ANYTHING seems kinda ok in my book regardless of the final results.

But we're Americans and we don't give medals for try. UNLESS you are under the age of 25 then you get a friggin' medal for simply NOT wetting yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I gotta believe choking on the biggest stage pales in comparison to the years and years and years they've spent dedicating their lives just for the chance to compete at the highest level. That right there is pretty cool and deserves respect.

NONE of them are "heroes", but to be considered one of the world's best at ANYTHING seems kinda ok in my book regardless of the final results.

But we're Americans and we don't give medals for try. UNLESS you are under the age of 25 then you get a friggin' medal for simply NOT wetting yourself.

They're heroes in the sense of just how committed they are to even attempt to get to the Olympics.

Those that think they're not worthy or something just for not winning are crazy.

• Agree

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

But we're Americans and we don't give medals for try. UNLESS you are under the age of 25 then you get a friggin' medal for simply
NOT wetting yourself.

Us millenialls didn’t come up to with the idea of participation ribbons. That was all you, Spoke.

Reactions: Cyclone.TV

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Ok, so the story doesn't sound as bad as the ticker scroll stating the Russian Curler tested positive for PED. I mean seriously, Curlers doping ??
"....
Aleksandr Krushelnitckii, who won a bronze medal in mixed doubles with his wife last week, has tested positive for a high dose of meldonium, a heart-disease medication, the person said.

Because the dose of meldonium detected in Krushelnitckii’s urine sample was significantly higher than what would normally be read for a person treated with the drug, authorities are exploring the possibility that he was the victim of an act of sabotage, the person said.

The positive test is preliminary because antidoping authorities have yet to analyze the athlete’s control sample, which will possibly take place on Monday..."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia...ities-explore-sabotage-possibility-1519017210

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron