Warren status

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
Why does Sheldon look taller when he is at RB then Montgomery, but they r the same height. The line opened up holes when every he came in. Hope both of them become really good along w Warren.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think Warren's problem right now is both Sheldon and David are physical runners. Warren's biggest strength is his one-cut ability followed by his open field speed. He is still a great back in my opinion, but Campbell has made it clear he wants his running backs to punish the other team. On top of that, Croney has looked good when he has been in the game. Mike did not get a great chance to prove he could get it done early on either. Who could blame Campbell though? David needs to be on the field as much as possible. Kid is lightning.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I think Warren's problem right now is both Sheldon and David are physical runners. Warren's biggest strength is his one-cut ability followed by his open field speed. He is still a great back in my opinion, but Campbell has made it clear he wants his running backs to punish the other team. On top of that, Croney has looked good when he has been in the game. Mike did not get a great chance to prove he could get it done early on either. Who could blame Campbell though? David needs to be on the field as much as possible. Kid is lightning.

I haven't followed recruiting/long-term depth much, so there may likely be other player options here, but just spitballing for a second....with Croney getting the majority of the snaps when DM is out, combined with what you said about Warren (and I agree - his strength is in the open field) - any chance the staff moves Warren primarily to the slot next year? Get him the ball in space and let him run after the catch? Still able to put him in the backfield with DM as well to make the D account for him there.

Reactions: CentexCyclone

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Why does Sheldon look taller when he is at RB then Montgomery, but they r the same height. The line opened up holes when every he came in. Hope both of them become really good along w Warren.

I thought this too. Sheldon looked a good 2-4 inches taller to me when he was in

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I haven't followed recruiting/long-term depth much, so there may likely be other player options here, but just spitballing for a second....with Croney getting the majority of the snaps when DM is out, combined with what you said about Warren (and I agree - his strength is in the open field) - any chance the staff moves Warren primarily to the slot next year? Get him the ball in space and let him run after the catch? Still able to put him in the backfield with DM as well to make the D account for him there.
IDK if Warren has the hands to be a wide receiver. To me Warren is a protypical I-back. Let him make a decision based on a lead blocker and watch him fly down the field. If the transfer rumors are true, I wish him the best. He is a good back and should be playing more, but our line doesn't play to his strengths, and our scheme is different than what he probably demands to ensure his greater success rate.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman and Doc

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Warren can run great with a hole opened up but can’t cut very well.

Warren hasn’t played and we haven’t lost a fumble? Coincidence, I think not.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
DM and Croney are physical blockers in the back field and actually block defenders coming..That is why mostly. Sure both DM and SC are more physical runners and hang onto the ball etc..but pass protection out of our RB’s is a critical job as well.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
IDK if Warren has the hands to be a wide receiver. To me Warren is a protypical I-back. Let him make a decision based on a lead blocker and watch him fly down the field. If the transfer rumors are true, I wish him the best. He is a good back and should be playing more, but our line doesn't play to his strengths, and our scheme is different than what he probably demands to ensure his greater success rate.
Agree, Mike has shown he can be successful in the right situation, but he's not a great fit for our current offense or OL right now. Plus Croney has really been impressive. If DM or Croney were having any successful one-cut and go type runs, we might see more of Mike.
It would be great if he could work on his hands and work some in the slot, but I imagine Kene will do some of that, plus Jones will obviously be there.
Mike has been positive. Hope it works out for him either way.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.... Warren's biggest strength is his one-cut ability followed by his open field speed....

Supposedly Mike is one of the fastest two guys on the team. You would think they could find plays to take advantage of that somehow.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Kinda like Trevor Ryen

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Kinda like Trevor Ryen

Exactly who I was thinking of when I made the post.

Also, didn't OU or OSU come on late with him in the recruiting process? Or they had him as "the next guy" if one of their RB recruits fell through? Would be a bummer if he grad transferred to one of those and ended up running wild on us (on one hand, I'd be happy for him being successful - has "done everything right" at ISU and been a great teammate despite being overtaken by two younger guys; but would sting a little).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron