***Official Herbstreit Hate Thread***

bagdropper

Oct 13, 2017
I can say with a certain degree of certainty that an ISU fan has to have their head in the sand to not believe other teams will come looking at Campbell once the firing and hiring season comes. It's the way CFB works...programs look for head coaches every year, and the top feeders will always look for The Next Big Thing in that search.

You also have to accept the fact that the big dog elites will always belittle at ANY school trying to crash the party.

You don't have to like all this, but you do have to accept the fact that it happens - and it sucks. Rise above it.

Congrats on the fine season so far. Things are definitely looking up, and don't let the noise spoil the joy of what you're seeing, and go kick TCU's asses next weekend (I love college football chaos).

Reactions: khardbored

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Just keep winning and get gameday here for the okie state game. Then all of cyclonenation can let kirk have it with signs.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
I personally like it when others talk this way about our athletic personnel like Campbell and Pollard. Saying that other schools should look at them means that something is going right for ISU. Much better than talking about when they will be fired. We have to step up and make ISU look much more enticing than any other offers and we will be fine.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I hope Campbell stays a long time, but realistically there are jobs he probably wont pass up. We can't blame him for that. All we can ask is that he leave the program better than when he got here. If he stays a while, this program may be significantly better than when he got here and then others will want to come here and continue the success.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Our program and facilities have evolved to where if we're already winning we're a lateral move to mid tier jobs. We'll never be Michigan, USC or Alabama, but at least we aren't a big step down from the average FBS program in terms of facilities, revenue, and even fan support that was the case in the 80s to mid 90s. Our program is above average among FBS programs in many metrics with the glaring missing piece being wins.

If it was so impossible to win at ISU Campbell wouldn't be 5-2 on the edge of the top 25 just 19 games into a complete rebuild of a losing team.

Too many of our fan base still think of us as a MAC team when it comes to coaching success.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Coincidentally when it comes to Campbell being lured away the program I worry about most is Herbstriet's alma mater.

It'd be fun if he went to Michigan after Harbaugh burns out there, beats OSU, then comes back to Herbie's tweet just to troll him.

It'd be MOST fun if he stays at ISU for a long time and ascends the program to unthinkable heights, plays and beats OSU, and then goes after Herbie.

Kirk has a generally valid point but the way he conveyed it is what makes certain fanbases hard to be around and why people love seeing the blue bloods lose.

• Winner
Reactions: everyyard

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
IMO Matt Campbell will have a number of big time schools come after him once the regular season is over.

With no inside information, I think Campbell has his eye on a handful of jobs to spend the next 20-25 years. Those would be upper Midwest jobs like Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State.

I don't see him jumping at another lesser Big 10 job like Nebraska or Illinois that might open up this off-season.

The one program that might worry me is Tennessee. SEC program with great tradition, that could interest recruits from Ohio/Michigan. I believe Herbstreit lives in Nashville, so he might have some inside info.

That said, ISU could be a trending up program based on fan support and facilities. It could be a great job for a guy from Campbell's staff. Toledo looks like they haven't missed a step with Campbell's departure.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
When Kirk Herbstreit first got on GameDay, he went and bought himself a Porsche 911. He loved to take it on the road with the show, driving around waving at the rednecks. Especially the ones in Ann Arbor. One game day redneck Wolverine fans stop him as he arrived at the stadium, they draw a circle in the dirt and pull him from his car and putting him there, say "If you step out of that circle, we will kick your ass."

They then pick up hammers and start busting up his new car. They look back and the is smiling. They hit the car some more, and he keeps laughing. They walk over to him and
ask "Why are you laughing? We just busted up your car."

Herbstreit says "I know, but I stepped out of the circle 9 times."

• Informative
Reactions: harimad

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
For all the criticism of Herbstreit in this thread. He recogized ISU after the OU win and then last night toward the end of the PSU/M game. IMO that is great advertising for recruits.

In the end, we would rather have a coach that is nationally recognized and respected. Its then up to Jamie to make any decision by Campbell to leave ISU a tough one.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Then there was the time Herbie took Lee Corso fishing:

So they go rent a boat and go fishing in a lake.

They were amazed at the number of fish that they caught that day, so Corso says to
Herbstreit, "We'll have to come back here tomorrow! But how will we remember where this spot is?"

Herbstreit then takes a can of spray paint, paints an X on the bottom of the boat, and says, "We'll just look for this X tomorrow."

To which Corso says, "You idiot! How do you know we'll get the same boat?"

• Funny
Reactions: cmjh10

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I can say with a certain degree of certainty that an ISU fan has to have their head in the sand to not believe other teams will come looking at Campbell once the firing and hiring season comes. It's the way CFB works...programs look for head coaches every year, and the top feeders will always look for The Next Big Thing in that search.

You also have to accept the fact that the big dog elites will always belittle at ANY school trying to crash the party.

You don't have to like all this, but you do have to accept the fact that it happens - and it sucks. Rise above it.

Congrats on the fine season so far. Things are definitely looking up, and don't let the noise spoil the joy of what you're seeing, and go kick TCU's asses next weekend (I love college football chaos).

Ok, Kirk.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
For all the criticism of Herbstreit in this thread. He recogized ISU after the OU win and then last night toward the end of the PSU/M game.......
Didn't see the Ped St. game, what did he say? Was it something along the lines of----"I was wrong about Iowa St. on Gameday. They are legit. I could see Matt Campbell continue to build a strong program in Ames and lead the Cyclones for a long, long time."

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
What Randy Pete and Kirk Herbstreit types fail to realize is that Campbell wants to build something on his own he doesn't want to take over a name brand and win off its Laurels he wants to win on his own accord
I get what you're saying, but how many Frank Beamers or Bill Snyders are there? Not many I'd bet.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Why doesn't anyone think we could pay him enough to stay? We absolutely could. If Iowa can pay as much as they do for a Ferentz, we could do the same. Also, would a coach want to leave for a 3 year $18 million contract, get fired for not living up to unrealistic expectations, and end up like a Charlie Weiss or stay at a place like ISU with security build up your salary to eventually $5-6 million over 15-20 years? Do the math option 1=$18 million and bad rep, option 2= about $60-75 millionish (depending on how the salary builds), a great reputation with a possiblecfb hof induction, a possible field named after you. (I know, this sounds like a second coming of Bill Snyder) Just think, playing on Campbell field at JTS. I'm not saying it will happen, but it has a better chance of happening here than at LSU, NOtre Dame, or Tennessee. CMC seems like a guy that is interested in more than just money to me.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO and clone511

B.L.

Nov 28, 2006
Hawks are lovin this they keep telling me he's going to Ohio State last I knew they were doing fine , enjoy the ride I'm sure Pollard already working in a plan .

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron