What a change in blocking this yeaR

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Last year, and many years previous, we seemed to come out number 2 in most matches in team blocking. But this year, the tables are turned. Vary happy for the women. Lazard is second in the B12 for blocks and we have 2 in the top 10. What a turn around.

Oh, and hats off to Halli who leads the B12 in digs. Libero U is alive and well.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
I looked back a few years. This year, believe it or not, ISU is ranked #1 in the B12 for blocks and is a fair bit ahead of UT. In 2014 to 2016, the best we did was 7th!

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
We are stronger and more physical (athletic) than we have been in the past so we can swing block. We also get to the block so much faster. I just hope when we get to the tourney we can handle the offenses of the Big 10 because they all play fast. The sets are quick and flat not these long high arching balls to the pins although they can do that as well. They also score out of system pretty well. They don't give many free balls they usually attack.

We are getting better lets hope we can put in some new wrinkles and ways to score. I was worried that maybe we had hit a level and we were stuck. Our talent is better now can we take another step? I have more confidence that we can than at any time in recent memory.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We are stronger and more physical (athletic) than we have been in the past so we can swing block. We also get to the block so much faster. I just hope when we get to the tourney we can handle the offenses of the Big 10 because they all play fast. The sets are quick and flat not these long high arching balls to the pins although they can do that as well. They also score out of system pretty well. They don't give many free balls they usually attack.

We are getting better lets hope we can put in some new wrinkles and ways to score. I was worried that maybe we had hit a level and we were stuck. Our talent is better now can we take another step? I have more confidence that we can than at any time in recent memory.
I think it's more simple - the Jen Malcom effect. Her coaching with blocking has helped immensely IMO.
Also, we're a lock to "get to the tourney." The key is getting a top 16 seed in order to advance past the second round.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Replacing Kuhrt and Capezio is a factor but I agree about Jen Malcom. Teaching them technique is huge but I think she instilled the "will to block" more than anything.

Help Support Us

Become a patron