ISU FB: Mid-term grade

Grade ISU's performance through 6 games

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
So if my midterm grade is an A, should I skip class until the final to squeak by with a C-?

The grade is incomplete.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
B. I love that we beat OU and are 4-2 but we still lost the Iowa game (when we had it all but won) and didn't show up against Texas which was another very winnable game. Nevertheless, I am still very excited to see what else this team accomplishes this year.
Hopefully taking and holding the lead against OU helped get that monkey off the teams back as they given up leads in other games they could have won.

I am assuming that whatever issues Park has/had finally came to a head for the Texas game which lead to whatever is going on with his status on the team.

Last edited:

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
I voted B...hanging on against Iowa or even beating them once it got to OT would've gotten an A- from me.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I went with a generic "B."

* Took care of business in "should win" games.
* OU upset obviously a boost, especially following UT-bummer and considering QB situation and historic futility.
* Bonus: Neither of 2 losses was a blowout, and each came vs. opponent that appears on path to winning record.
* At worst, Iowa State is 5-1 if (1) defense had been in recent form when CyHawk game occurred (2) offense was semi-competent vs. Texas. Going 0-2 in both drops it below A-minus territory; 1-1 and it's B-plus.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
B+. Would have been an A if we beat Iowa, Would have been a B- if we lost to OU.
We didn't play UT?

Solid B due to emotions of the OU upset, otherwise maybe a B-. We lost a couple we shouldn't, but pulled off an emotional upset. 5-1 would have been B+, 6-0 an A imo.

I don't think we've necessarily played poorly overall in any game, but outside of the OU game we haven't had all units show up in the same game. Early on the defense had 3rd down problems against mediocre teams and the Oline had struggled all year in run blocking.

CMC and Co are doing great in building a program faster than anyone could reasonably expect

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
We didn't play UT?

Solid B due to emotions of the OU upset, otherwise maybe a B-. We lost a couple we shouldn't, but pulled off an emotional upset. 5-1 would have been B+, 6-0 an A imo.

I don't think we've necessarily played poorly overall in any game, but outside of the OU game we haven't had all units show up in the same game. Early on the defense had 3rd down problems against mediocre teams and the Oline had struggled all year in run blocking.

CMC and Co are doing great in building a program faster than anyone could reasonably expect
The UT game plan was awful in that there came a point where I personally didn't feel we could win. The Iowa and OU games were a different feeling at one point or another. My grade would have been higher if we had beat Iowa (and having beat OU) or lower if we had lost to OU (since we already lost to Iowa).

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
D-

Didn't win the Super Bowl.

And for those with absolutely no sense of humor...yes I am kidding. It's actually an F.
Careful. The Hawk trolls on here may think you are serious that our season is a failure since we lost to them.

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017
B. ISU is the definition of above average. We still have lapses on doing the little things right- Iowa loss. We still have personnel and coaching lapses- Texas loss.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
B+

Thought ISU would split with Texas and Iowa. Got neither, but hanging on to OU makes it all better. If they had hung on vs Iowa, or beat Texas and were 5-1, I'd be on the A-train for sure. Also bugged with how they lost to Iowa. Gave up 4th qtr lead to a rookie QB.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Went with B+, and grading on the curve based on the abysmal history of ISU FB. The thing is, that ISU defense is just getting better all the time, because guys like Lima, Lanning, etc. are in their first year in the system. Just imagine how much better the defense would have stopped Iowa with an experienced middle linebacker and their two starting safeties? The DL has not done a lot in terms of sacks, but they have really stuffed the running game in the last 3 games, and done a decent job of keeping the QB from running.

The offense has been very good except for the TX game. The WRs have made a lot of good catches in the last couple games, so hopefully they are done dropping critical passes. Running game is still not where is should be considering the absolute stud RB.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Grading the Cyclones is a bit like looking at Wall Street. Today's score is always based upon what you think the market will do in the future.