ISU 5 Point Underdog @ TX Tech

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Was it an upset? Sure. An anomaly? Almost every team has games by playing a good game and the opposition playing below there's. So if you want to say there are hundreds of anomalies each year, sure

We were a 31 point underdog to a top 5 team with a Heisman finalist at QB we've beaten once in the last 50 years and you still don't want to call it an anomaly? Hundreds of times per year? Closer to once in a hundred years.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Texas Tech (-6.5) vs. Iowa State

Since a 17-7 home loss to Texas, the Cyclones have played about as well as anybody in the country. They followed that game by shocking Oklahoma with a 38-31 victory in Norman as 30.5-point underdogs, then proceeded to blank Kansas, 45-0, last week, holding them to 106 total yards and 1.8 yards per play. The Jayhawks crossed midfield in only one of 18 possessions, even then only reaching the Cyclones’ 44-yard line. The Raiders, on the other hand, led West Virginia by 18 with a little more than five minutes left in the third quarter before the Mountaineers scored 29 points in a span of less than 20 minutes to beat the Red Raiders by 11. Nic Shimonek is one of five players in the country completing at least 70 percent of his passes right now and he is averaging an impressive 9.1 yards per pass, the 11th-most in the nation. Texas Tech will be looking to bounce back after blowing a big second-half lead last week but the model noticed how dominant the Cyclones have been the last six quarters and is actually calling for them to not only win but to do so by 16.0 points.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...-upsets-projected-to-come-this-week-109112710

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
Watched the replay of the the Tech vs WVU game, their receivers are tall and talented. With ISU only bringing 3-4 to pressure the QB, the secondary is going to have its hands full. Tech is going to definitely score over 45 points, I wonder if Kyle & the Offense can keep up.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017

Since a 17-7 home loss to Texas, the Cyclones have played about as well as anybody in the country. They followed that game by shocking Oklahoma with a 38-31 victory in Norman as 30.5-point underdogs, then proceeded to blank Kansas, 45-0, last week, holding them to 106 total yards and 1.8 yards per play. The Jayhawks crossed midfield in only one of 18 possessions, even then only reaching the Cyclones’ 44-yard line. The Raiders, on the other hand, led West Virginia by 18 with a little more than five minutes left in the third quarter before the Mountaineers scored 29 points in a span of less than 20 minutes to beat the Red Raiders by 11. Nic Shimonek is one of five players in the country completing at least 70 percent of his passes right now and he is averaging an impressive 9.1 yards per pass, the 11th-most in the nation. Texas Tech will be looking to bounce back after blowing a big second-half lead last week but the model noticed how dominant the Cyclones have been the last six quarters and is actually calling for them to not only win but to do so by 16.0 points.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...-upsets-projected-to-come-this-week-109112710

I really do hope we win. The caveat to that article is in the first paragraph is shows how accurate the "model" is...and its not that accurate. It is encouraging to the fans though! I'll go with what the Tech beat writers are saying...It's going to be a lop-sided win...we just dont know what side is going to be on top.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I really do hope we win. The caveat to that article is in the first paragraph is shows how accurate the "model" is...and its not that accurate. It is encouraging to the fans though! I'll go with what the Tech beat writers are saying...It's going to be a lop-sided win...we just dont know what side is going to be on top.

59% against the spread is pretty solid though.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Keep in mind that Tech beat Kansas last year 55-19 (65-19 this year) and the scores/results are not all that much different from last year. In fact, four of their losses last year were a by a touchdown or less. Thus far this year, the only team they have played with anything remotely considered a defensive pulse is West Virginia, who shut them down in the second half. By the way, West Virginia allowed KU to score 35 points, and their four wins are against Tech, KU, Delaware State, and East Carolina...not exactly a strong lineup.

I like ISU's chances...they match up really well and the 2017 version is better than the 2016 version. Tech...jury is still out...they have ISU, KState, Oklahoma, TCU, and Texas left on their schedule.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Watched the replay of the the Tech vs WVU game, their receivers are tall and talented. With ISU only bringing 3-4 to pressure the QB, the secondary is going to have its hands full. Tech is going to definitely score over 45 points, I wonder if Kyle & the Offense can keep up.

Blitzing against Tech is less than ideal.

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Kansas came into our schedule at the right time. The early thought was "Well, at least we get to play Kansas after getting stomped by Oklahoma," which changed to "...well, if we have an upset hangover, playing Kansas will cure what ails us." Now that it's behind us a little further, I think the focus will be that much better. I would like Kempt to be sharp on his throws, as Tech's run defense has improved, but passing defense is virtually unchanged from last year.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We have to get off to a quick start. Our last 2 or 3 trips to the hell hole known as west Texas we started off extremely slow and Tech was up 14 at a blink of an eye. Limit penalties and turnovers and I think we will all be pretty happy Saturday afternoon.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

I agree that TT has a really good WR core, but I don't agree with them scoring 45+. First off, our Kempt/Lanning version offense is designed to use clock. Secondly, the defenses TT has faced up to this point haven't been anything special. And really, anytime they've played a team with a pulse (Huston, WVU, OSU), they've averaged 32 points. Our defense is perfectly set-up for the TT's of the world. And to top it all off, we're a better coached team, plain and simple.

• Informative
Reactions: ViktorLuzor

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Brasky is right. Penalties killed Oklahoma and also that fumble at the 5 yard line. Our defense is not a brick wall at the line of scrimmage. Oklahoma would definitely have scored a TD there. And turnovers and mistakes hurt Kansas a lot, fumbled punt snap, muffed punt, allow a punt return touchdown. So, we need to keep winning the turnover and penalty statistical battle. Let's not fool ourselves yet thinking we are better than the other conference teams, we are better IF we play error free and they don't. Our talent is improved, but we have not yet surpassed the Big 12 teams with just talent.

Reactions: bosco

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017
The awesome thing about all of these posts...is that everyone is agreeing that ISU's defense is for real. When was the last time we have talked about a teams prior games and how bad the defenses were that they played, implying ISU's defense is superior. We will see if we pass another test Saturday. Also, we are top 25 if we win Saturday...that's my prediction.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
We beat TTU by 56 points last year and we're better this year on both sides of the ball. Don't think TTU improved enough to close that gap even with homefield advantage. ISU 45 TTU 24.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I agree that TT has a really good WR core, but I don't agree with them scoring 45+. First off, our Kempt/Lanning version offense is designed to use clock. Secondly, the defenses TT has faced up to this point haven't been anything special. And really, anytime they've played a team with a pulse (Huston, WVU, OSU), they've averaged 32 points. Our defense is perfectly set-up for the TT's of the world. And to top it all off, we're a better coached team, plain and simple.

Yeah, I don't see them scoring 45. 30-35 I can see. I don't know if ISU can keep up with that or not. Would feel better if Park was back. IF we see Montgomery start breaking some big runs, then I'll know we have a great shot.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
IF we see Montgomery start breaking some big runs, then I'll know we have a great shot.
Get ready, because I think the gameplan is going to be our DMs all up in Tech's grill, all DM, all day. We're going to see DM pitches, swing passes, screens, and wheels.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

...Nic Shimonek is one of five players in the country completing at least 70 percent of his passes right now and he is averaging an impressive 9.1 yards per pass, the 11th-most in the nation....

That's great, but the QB he will be facing is completing 70.5% of his passes (to Nic's 70.1) and averaging 10.6 yards per pass. He's not above Shimonek on those lists because he hasn't played enough games, but would be above the Tech QB on both of them if eligible.

Something, something, small sample size...

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Get ready, because I think the gameplan is going to be our DMs all up in Tech's grill, all DM, all day. We're going to see DM pitches, swing passes, screens, and wheels.
I like it. If a team is good against the run and marginal against the pass, make them defend your best player RB like a receiver.

I like Monty's chances against anyone with the ball in space.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron