Matt Thomas hangs 21 on FC Barcelona (in a beatdown loss)

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I probably care about this stuff more than most CF readers but this may be of interest. I'm following Matty Ice because of 1. how he exploded with the Lakers' summer league team and 2. it's a lot easier for me to get info on the Spanish league than on Russia and Israel where a lot of the ex-Cyclones are.

Matt's Monbus Obradoiro took a big loss to FC Barcelona Lassa 102-58. Matt's 21 included 4-5 shooting from 2pt, 3-5 from 3pt and 2-2 from the line for 21 points, by far tops on his team for the game. Obradoiro is currently 2-2 in the league and Matt is averaging around 16 points. I think he's getting noticed over there and maybe can turn this year into a bigger payday at a bigger club.

I'll put some other (mildly interesting) info and a pic below.

This just in ... Barcelona is still part of Spain.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
From Obradoiro's twitter feed (dang, his shooting mechanics are flawless):

DI0GonJXgAQQqmu.jpg

Reactions: CYCLNST8

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
If you know anything about the Spanish soccer league, it won't surprise you that 2 of the 3 teams that are undefeated at 4-0 are Real Madrid and FC Barcelona.

I looked at Barcelona's lineup thinking that they'd be loaded with American imports and their whole starting lineup seemd to be Euros. They had ex-Mizzou Tiger Phil Pressey (he of 4+ NBA seasons) coming off the bench. Kind of surprising to my (possibly overly American) view.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
It is an absolute shame that the Lakers did not give him that last roster spot. 3-pt shooting was one of their positions of need and he killed it in the summer league. Fans on their forums could not stop talking about him and I think were disappointed when he didn't get picked up. Oh, well. Hopefully he finds a better opportunity.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It is an absolute shame that the Lakers did not give him that last roster spot. 3-pt shooting was one of their positions of need and he killed it in the summer league. Fans on their forums could not stop talking about him and I think were disappointed when he didn't get picked up. Oh, well. Hopefully he finds a better opportunity.
Yeah, I agree. I suppose he got squeezed a bit in a numbers game - they'd already used a spot on Caruso who's a good baller - but how many players could go 14-16 from NBA 3pt in an empty gym? (I believe that was his aggregate total in a stretch in the summer league tourney).I wonder how much of his "take-off" has to do with getting those bone spurs taken care of. In the end, maybe getting starter minutes in Europe will get him more scrutiny from NBA scouts.

Reactions: GTO

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Interesting update, thanks for posting.

I also find it interesting that FC Barcelona (Football Club) has a basketball team. The more you know . . .

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Interesting update, thanks for posting.

I also find it interesting that FC Barcelona (Football Club) has a basketball team. The more you know . . .
Yeah, they're both powers in Europe; it seems like Barca is slightly more so. The Gasol brothers both played for them and a bunch of other NBAers.

I think those two clubs are the exception to the rule; most of the soccer clubs in Spain don't have a hoops side of the house.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I wish Georges would take Matt’s lead and just go get some real ******* money.

Georges spent a year hanging out with Larry Bird and now he's hanging out with Durant and Curry. I don't think he's doing too bad. With his personality and these connections he'll be set for life regardless of where his hoops takes him.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Georges spent a year hanging out with Larry Bird and now he's hanging out with Durant and Curry. I don't think he's doing too bad. With his personality and these connections he'll be set for life regardless of where his hoops takes him.

Ya sure about that?

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
This just in ... Barcelona is still part of Spain.

A couple of years ago I had a home stay / volunteer experience in the Terai area of southern Nepal. There was a flock of youth working with the same orgnization, some of whom were staying in the NGO's orphanage, and some of whom were staying with the same family as myself.. There was a group of 3 Catalonions (Barcelona) staying in the same house hold for about a week during the football (the other futbol) World Cup. One afternoon I reported a Spanish loss to them. They were unemotional, but in fact reported some antipathy toward the national team.

The recent vote was no surprise. Waiting to see how it works out with the Basques.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Didn't Fran F say something like he's playing for one of the best overseas teams there is? Good to see him doing well at that level.

I wonder how much he's making over there?