The Vietnam War by Ken Burns on PBS

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yeah, its insane that we never actually had a full-scale ground war with China, even though we were proxy "at war" with them almost consecutively for 3 decades.

I'll say, in hindsight, not having lived through is, the fear of communism seems contrived. I mean, it's one thing to have a foreign policy to oppose communism, its another thing to have fear of it drive everything you do and cause you to make really bad decisions.

Some real danger, but mostly overblown stuff. This favorite of mine has a copy hanging in our History offices at ISU:

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-20_15-40-52.jpeg
    upload_2017-9-20_15-40-52.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 48
  • Friendly
  • Funny
Reactions: SCyclone and jsb

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah, its insane that we never actually had a full-scale ground war with China, even though we were proxy "at war" with them almost consecutively for 3 decades.

I'll say, in hindsight, not having lived through is, the fear of communism seems contrived. I mean, it's one thing to have a foreign policy to oppose communism, its another thing to have fear of it drive everything you do and cause you to make really bad decisions.

For most everything after the late '60's it's easy to say contrived but right after WWII with Russia squatting on half of eastern Europe and China openly promoting revolutions it's more understandable. I get the reactions driven by Stalin and Mao regimes but not adjusting and thinking about it more was pretty unforgivable. With that in mind, so what if that whole region had gone communist? How would a communist indochina affect us one way or the other? If we had just left it alone, would it even have been hard core commie? Ho Chi Minh was more of a nationalist that a hard core communist. But, like so many wars and conflicts it comes down to a **** swinging contest without thinking that maybe not just whipping it out might be the best move.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
President gets assassinated. You could have quite a debate on what the most amazing situation/event of the 1960's was. Imo while not as objectively influential i.e. legalities, etc., the musical explosion would have a category.

Just watching these kinds of things makes me feel confused about the times and I was born 20 years after. Even growing up in the 80's I seem to remember how there was still a sense of recovering from all of it.

I came up in the 1970's. One of my earliest news memories was Cronkite reporting about the fall of Saigon.

The 70's seemed like a period where people just said WTF let me look dirty as hell and listen to soft sounds in the radio.

1980 seemed like America took a bath, bought a suit and went back to work.

What would the world be today if America beat back the Russians after WWII and invaded China during the Korean war? We had that small window of complete nuclear advantage.

Missed opportunity?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'll eventually watch this (I've seen most of the others) but it's sad just thinking about what it'll be like seeing it in such detail.

The way in which returning soldiers were treated alone is a dark chapter in our history without even getting into the rest. I never could understand how someone could belittle and mock the military service of others, anybody at all who served but especially people who were drafted, wounded or captured.

because journalist in Vietnam were documenting what armies do. People saw pictures and videos of human beings suffering. The saw villages being torched, they saw kids running with severe burns from Napalm, they saw dead bodies, people roped together. It was nothing out of the ordinary for a combat zone, but to a lot of the viewing audience, it sure didn't look like a John Wayne film. Sadly, and just like in any war, there were some atrocities committed by US Forces. Plus, people didn't understand how psychologically challenging Vietnam was for the GI's, and that certainly could have been a contributing factor in some of the bad things that happened. It wasn't like other regular conventional wars we fought. Our guys didn't know who or where the enemy was most of the time. Many didn't exactly understand what we were fighting for or what the objective was. The average age of a combat soldier in Nam was 19, in WWII it was 25. Just from brain development and wiring , a 25 year old can handle war better than a 19 year old. The people that mistreated the GI's just didn't understand, they made a mistake. All of their anger should have been directed at positions , and none of it at the GIs.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
because journalist in Vietnam were documenting what armies do. People saw pictures and videos of human beings suffering. The saw villages being torched, they saw kids running with severe burns from Napalm, they saw dead bodies, people roped together. It was nothing out of the ordinary for a combat zone, but to a lot of the viewing audience, it sure didn't look like a John Wayne film. Sadly, and just like in any war, there were some atrocities committed by US Forces. Plus, people didn't understand how psychologically challenging Vietnam was for the GI's, and that certainly could have been a contributing factor in some of the bad things that happened. It wasn't like other regular conventional wars we fought. Our guys didn't know who or where the enemy was most of the time. Many didn't exactly understand what we were fighting for or what the objective was. The average age of a combat soldier in Nam was 19, in WWII it was 25. Just from brain development and wiring , a 25 year old can handle war better than a 19 year old. The people that mistreated the GI's just didn't understand, they made a mistake. All of their anger should have been directed at positions , and none of it at the GIs.

I think it was in "Part 3: The River Styx" where they made a comment that I wasn't aware of. They said that during WWII the media was censored. I was stunned to hear that. But much of the distinction between wars was the role the media played.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Why did/do we send good money after bad? The war/project/country was lost. Why don't people accept that and move on instead of sending young men to get killed fighting a war that we don't need to fight in an area that doesn't really impact us?

Last night one of the North Vietnamese soldiers said Americans bombing villages was the best recruiting tool they had. Sounds familiar to the last 15 years, doesn't it?

Nobody wants to be Ford associated with the last chopper out of Saigon image.

The imperial presidency is such that, if one cannot win a war, then merely prolong it. If you cannot win, do not lose. The material and human costs of such an odious plan are meaningless relative to the immediate political advantages and how much that helps future historians and revisionists give you a pass for not being the loser. Nobody is ever going to blame the final failure of Afghanistan on Obama a this point given not much changed during his time in office.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Having lived through it, we got a lot of nerve whining about terrorism.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

would it be fair to say that a lack of a cohesive and recognizably "evil" enemy such as say......Nazis would have contributed to this as well? It's easier to gloss over the burning of Dresden when you see images of concentration camps. Though as I say that I wonder why Korea didn't have the same results. Probably because it wasn't on tv.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can't believe these people being interviewed can talk about this so cleanly.

Can't remember which one it was, but I remember doc in college about Vietnam and the veterans in it struggled big time.

Incredible story telling and footage.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So far it has been really good. But I am a little confused as I thought the Vietnam War was ALL Nixon and Kissinger's fault... jimlad

Eisenhower refuses to get us in deep or help the French while Kennedy, Johnson, and their East Coast liberal "best and brightest" pals go all the way with a great plan.

Still somehow the Republicans' fault, right?

• Creative
  • Funny
Reactions: GT25Ump and cyputz

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Eisenhower refuses to get us in deep or help the French while Kennedy, Johnson, and their East Coast liberal "best and brightest" pals go all the way with a great plan.

and Eisenhower also warned against our economy getting to reliant on the military industrial complex. He was afraid we were creating monster. He was Republican in brand name, but a far cry from what the conservative movement is today. Also, there were plenty of Dems, against the war. Don't see many republicans against it in the list in the link below. So for you to call out one party but not the other, is not accurate when it comes to Vietnam. But there is no doubt, the war was mismanaged and ill-conceived by Johnson and Nixon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Congressional_opponents_of_the_Vietnam_War
Don't see many republican congressmen apposed to it.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Session 4 was hard to watch - apprehensive about future episodes as I was to be on the last bus drafted out of my home state. I ended up 4F due to medical (and to this day, I am bothered I did not go) my three classmates went without me. Two never made it back, the third was proud to have served until he reached the USA and was spit on and jeered upon. I ended up in jail that night fighting for my friend. And once I returned home, I received my only hug from my father, with a "Thank You". Proud to say my father served in Germany - yet never spoke a single word of what he went through. It was emotional to see the activities both war and political. I thought it was interesting to hear the quote "I did not really know much about the War of 1812, which was pretty much a draw, or the Civil War which where half of America lost, and the Korean War where we won the fist half and lost the second half - but I have been taught America never loses."
With all my heart and soul - I thank all service men and women and their families for their service and lives they have sacrificed.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
and Eisenhower also warned against our economy getting to reliant on the military industrial complex. He was afraid we were creating monster. He was Republican in brand name, but a far cry from what the conservative movement is today. Also, there were plenty of Dems, against the war. Don't see many republicans against it in the list in the link below. So for you to call out one party but not the other, is not accurate when it comes to Vietnam. But there is no doubt, the war was mismanaged and ill-conceived by Johnson and Nixon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Congressional_opponents_of_the_Vietnam_War

I think you missed some of the sarcasm there. I agree, though, that Eisenhower was a very smart cookie and a far cry from a modern movement conservative. I also think much of Congress' fecklessness in abdicating its oversight duties on war and war-making began in Vietnam with both parties. The buck has to stop with Kennedy and Johnson at some point, though.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

How can you look at Vietnam and everything that brought us to war and not find fault across the board?

Hell go back to Truman not objecting to de Gaulle's want to re-colonize Indochina. Eisenhower banged the drum for the Domino Theory. The Domino Theory set the pieces in motion for the entire Vietnam Tragedy

Nixon strongly believed the US could bomb the Viet Cong into going to the bargaining table. It only hardened their resolve.

Breaking this into a D vs R issue seems to be paining with crayons when this was a complex slide into a very bad situation. The French handed us the playbook that even included the ending. America plowed ahead

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
How can you look at Vietnam and everything that brought us to war and not find fault across the board?

Hell go back to Truman not objecting to de Gaulle's want to re-colonize Indochina. Eisenhower banged the drum for the Domino Theory. The Domino Theory set the pieces in motion for the entire Vietnam Tragedy

Nixon strongly believed the US could bomb the Viet Cong into going to the bargaining table. It only hardened their resolve.

Breaking this into a D vs R issue seems to be paining with crayons when this was a complex slide into a very bad situation. The French handed us the playbook that even included the ending. America plowed ahead
I agree, it was a bipartisan fubar. That was my original point.

I once saw a documentary on the History Channel, back when they had shows about history, and they interviewed a man who was part of the North Vietnamese delegation at the Paris peace negotiations. He stated that our bombing campaigns had devastated the North to the point where they were ready to sign a deal. But when massive protests broke out in the US, Ho Chi Minh decided to wait us out instead.

The bombings were cut back, and the war raged on.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Again, sarcasm. We need the jimlad.

The failure was top to bottom.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

That monster escaped and the world has wept ever since.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone