Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Had a stepson in my first marriage, he lived in Hoffman Estates (far western Chicago burb). He drove into the city for work every day - he told me on a normal day, it was 45 minutes in and an hour and a half back home. And if it snowed, all the bets were off. I'd be an alcoholic for sure under those circumstances..........

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Had a stepson in my first marriage, he lived in Hoffman Estates (far western Chicago burb). He drove into the city for work every day - he told me on a normal day, it was 45 minutes in and an hour and a half back home. And if it snowed, all the bets were off. I'd be an alcoholic for sure under those circumstances..........
45 Minutes is acceptable. 1.5 hours is a long time. A cousin used to live in Scarsdale, NY. His commute was about an hour and a half each way and involved 3 different trains. He moved to Minnesota.

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I can see the movie title now..... "Zombie GTO and the Dead Hookers" (directed, of course, by the one and only Rob Zombie)
Sounds like a great theme for the next murder house game. In addition to collecting the souls of the people you kill you can get bonus dead hooker souls.

Reactions: CloneLawman

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
45 Minutes is acceptable. 1.5 hours is a long time. A cousin used to live in Scarsdale, NY. His commute was about an hour and a half each way and involved 3 different train changes. He moved to Minnesota.
My commute is 20 minutes on bad day. If I catch a couple of lights I think I can get here in 10 minutes in the middle of the night.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Son slept in our bed to get real sleep and avoid steps. I got the living room recliner, I think I may have gotten two combined hours of real sleep.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
In Wichita my commute was a half hour. It is hard to get one much under 20 minutes there though. Excellent freeway/highway system to give you multiple options. Here in CR it is 10 minutes and if I switched to a closer building it would be 5.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
In the NW suburbs of Minneapolis there are a couple different options to commute downtown. However, there is major construction on all of those options so they're all bad choices and it seems like there is major construction on every street in downtown. Can we get this stupid Super Bowl over with already? It's disrupting my life.

• Agree
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Took out a brick planter box for my mom. Found old license plates, bar pans, even parts of a tv antenna in there. Must have been a dump spot and then just covered with dirt.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Paid full price for oil change/tire rotation last week at Toyota. Got an email today, "Thanks for coming in for service. We hope you come again, here is a coupon for oil change and tire rotation" :mad: Expires 10/1. Don't think I'll be driving 10K miles in the next 2 weeks (even though it feels like it most days).

There has also been a recall on our automatic doors for about a year with no solution from Toyota. The day after I was in for service we get the letter that says I need to take it in because they figured out a fix. Wouldn't service maybe mention that when I was in?! Would have been nice to knock it all out at once.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Paid full price for oil change/tire rotation last week at Toyota. Got an email today, "Thanks for coming in for service. We hope you come again, here is a coupon for oil change and tire rotation" :mad: Expires 10/1. Don't think I'll be driving 10K miles in the next 2 weeks (even though it feels like it most days).

There has also been a recall on our automatic doors for about a year with no solution from Toyota. The day after I was in for service we get the letter that says I need to take it in because they figured out a fix. Wouldn't service maybe mention that when I was in?! Would have been nice to knock it all out at once.

I'd call Toyota and let them know about the coupon expiring in two weeks to see if they can give you one with a better date. It's probably worth the phone call.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

That's pretty low. They should have applied that coupon to the current service. Speaking of which I need to get my oil changed, tires rotated. Almost have 60,000 on the tires. I should probably buy new ones or just get a new vehicle.

Reactions: Cybirdy

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Volleyball update -

so we get there and other team only had 4 people. Ok, maybe that's why there were a 12 seed in a 13 team field??? Still not sure how they beat the 5 last week but oh well.

Start playing. They do bump set spike. Ruh roh. And they could serve well. We did well on our side and getting the ball down, but they'd go on serving runs and keep it close. We took the first 22-20 and then were down 7-14 in the second. DH had an excellent serving run and we got it to 17-18. Then they went on another serving run and won 21-18.

Fifth set. We were keeping it close and at 11-11 I was up to serve. I'd been serving pretty ****** and felt bad about it. I turned it on at the right time. I got an ace followed by them pushing it back too far to me and I called it out - and it was by like 1 inch. Teammate is like "CG, you just want us to leave the court for you??" lol. Got to 14-11 and we lost my serve. I was much sad.

So then they started targeting our weakest person and she shanked two serves. We lost the next as well and suddenly it's 14-14. Ref is like oh yeah it's a hard cap at 15. Well ****, thanks for mentioning that sooner. So we go back and forth and DH was a beast covering pretty much the whole left side. Just back and forth with him, probably three times. They pushed it back to him again and I thought he had time to back up for it and at the last second I realized he didn't and was expecting me to cut over and we lost it :(

I felt so, so bad because I hadn't wanted to step in and risk running into him. He was mad for a second but then at home was like no, it was a bad shot for him and they had been targeting that other teammate and so it wasn't really my fault, just a bad spot.

But we are super duper curious how they went 1-5 in the first six games - only winning the last game of the season and getting swept more often than not. There are sets in there where they didn't crack double digits. Then in the playoffs they beat us and #5 2-1. DH said if they had 6 people they should have been intermediate. So we suspect either they had six to start and the other two sucked so they got rid of them or they have changed out some people over the season.

Maybe having the sub this week would have been enough but hard to say. We had a decent run and I'm glad I ended with serving well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron