New tradition

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Did anyone else see the girl with the cardinal and gold beat iowa tshirt during the "wave" at that place out east? We should figure out who she is and crowdfund her!
Nope. I hope you guys aren't watching that crap!

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I like new traditions. I like being marketed and branded too. The old tradition of singing Sweet Caroline needs to be retired and we could do the wave.
Mizzou football....haha. Just collecting pay checks now. Pinkel and company sure screwed that thing up.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I'd like the 3rd quarter ender to be the "roll out the barrel / fight song polka" the band does. It's fun, you can sing to it, it references beer, relatively original... why not.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'd like the 3rd quarter ender to be the "roll out the barrel / fight song polka" the band does. It's fun, you can sing to it, it references beer, relatively original... why not.

I love "Beer Barrel Polka" and the fact it has the same chords as "ISU Fights" so you can play one over the top of the other as much as the next guy.

Who knew you could write a fight song by playing polka chords really fast?

But...

That was originally just a fun little thing the pep band trumpets did before it went big time with the marching band trying to play that during timeouts.

What held it back is what I put in bold above -- huge Wisconsin tradition...

Kind of their equivalent to "Hey Jude" or "In Heaven There Is No Better" with Iowa.

Fun, but not particularly original when it comes to football. But, damn, I would take a kazoo version of "God Save the Queen" over "Sweet Caroline" again at this point.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I think what U of I is doing is great and I think its so awesome those kids and their families get to watch the game and the crowd waving to them is great. i think the publicity they get is great and deserved.

What bothers is me is all the fans and publicity stating "best tradition in sports" or "Iowa Football has the best tradition" Its literally happend twice, its not a tradition in any sense of the word.

Reactions: TXCyclones

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I love "Beer Barrel Polka" and the fact it has the same chords as "ISU Fights" so you can play one over the top of the other as much as the next guy.

Who knew you could write a fight song by playing polka chords really fast?

But...

That was originally just a fun little thing the pep band trumpets did before it went big time with the marching band trying to play that during timeouts.

What held it back is what I put in bold above -- huge Wisconsin tradition...

Kind of their equivalent to "Hey Jude" or "In Heaven There Is No Better" with Iowa.

Fun, but not particularly original when it comes to football. But, damn, I would take a kazoo version of "God Save the Queen" over "Sweet Caroline" again at this point.

You asked for it...

• Winner
Reactions: Sigmapolis

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
View attachment 50097 isuhospital2.PNG View attachment 50097
Did anyone else see the girl with the cardinal and gold beat iowa tshirt during the "wave" at that place out east? We should figure out who she is and crowdfund her!

Very cool - glad she and her family are representing!

There is a picture from the outside looking in that I found a few days ago, but I can't find it right now. In that one you can clearly see the shirt. Here's from the ESPN feed.

View attachment 50097

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: TXCyclones

Help Support Us

Become a patron