Iowa's 10 worst places to live

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Yea... Waterloo is always going to be on these lists mostly because of historical perceptions more than anything. I hear about more shootings in CR than I do in the 'loo anymore.

That said, I wonder about some of the other statistics that could be at play in a lot of these areas as well. Waterloo is also one of the most segregated cities in the nation. CR also has sections of the city that are kind of similar like that as well. Not sure about the other places.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Yea... Waterloo is always going to be on these lists mostly because of historical perceptions more than anything. I hear about more shootings in CR than I do in the 'loo anymore.

That said, I wonder about some of the other statistics that could be at play in a lot of these areas as well. Waterloo is also one of the most segregated cities in the nation. CR also has sections of the city that are kind of similar like that as well. Not sure about the other places.

We would imagine the whole per capita thing helps CR a lot.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
The people that make these cities bad generally aren't the ones currently working for a fortune 500 company.

Disagree. In general, manufacturing companies (especially large ones) hire quite a few part time, low skilled, temp labor who end up getting let go when the industry slows.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Is it just me or does anyone else hate the "my ******** town is better than your ******** town " Pride some Iowans can't get over . Drives me nuts .

Ive only ever called out ******** towns if I've lived or worked in them. I've been lucky enough to have either lived or worked in 5 of them named in this thread. Yes, they are shitholes. All 5 of them. Although, still nicer than a couple I've lived/worked in out of state.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Supposedly, the welfare system in Iowa is more generous than Illinois. The Chicago folks then move to the closest towns from Chicago (East Iowa) so that they can easily commute back and forth for whatever reason. That's what people in Burlington are saying.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I'm assuming Council Bluffs based on proximity to Nebraska?
Council Bluffs seems hell bent on re-creating the generation long interstate construction project that Sioux City is currently enduring. The only thing missing are the flippin' speed camera's...

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Pretty much any southeast Iowa town is in the mix. Old Iowa river towns are always a good bet.

Yeah, being in the SE quadrant it's mostly hog confinements and dead towns.

Fairfield is sorta doing better than most because lots of floater money.
An interesting blend of mystic crazy and below 34 hillbilly.

Iowa City-Coralville not being mentioned is really surprising.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Council Bluffs seems hell bent on re-creating the generation long interstate construction project that Sioux City is currently enduring. The only thing missing are the flippin' speed camera's...
That's an Iowa DOT thing, not a Council Bluffs thing. Having said that, Counciltuckey is still at the top of the list for me. Followed closely by Ottumwa.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
One of my good buddies is a cop in Oelwein. From the stories he tells, I'm shocked that it's not on this list.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron