Did Texas unintentionally save the Big 12?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Pollard said what would be basically true about any conference. Remove the two tent poles, and the conference becomes a lesser conference. Washington States AD basically said his school is getting the support as if it was already in a lesser conference. Big difference.

Exactly...if you take Iowa and Nebraska out of the Big 10 that conference would fold up faster than a paper airplane. The B10 West would probably survive because it's so strong but the East schools would probably have to halt their football programs and just pray that another conference grabs them up.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I've always felt the super conference idea is extremely short-sighted from a financial standpoint. With actual viewers starting to matter more, you need more high quality matchups. I think it helps the weaker teams more than the strong teams (could be wrong though...).

I can't remember who published it or who did the analysis but a couple years back some finance guru explained how breaking the country up into regional pods would optimize viewership and overall revenue. IMO this idea seemed to make the most sense.

ISUalum2012

Mar 24, 2014
Didn't Saban and Fisher both say recently that college football needed to make scheduling more equitable. I think Saban went as far as saying the SEC should be playing 10 conference games with the other two vs P5 schools. If more coaches believe that, I think big changes are in store for college football at the next round of negotiations.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Didn't Saban and Fisher both say recently that college football needed to make scheduling more equitable. I think Saban went as far as saying the SEC should be playing 10 conference games with the other two vs P5 schools. If more coaches believe that, I think big changes are in store for college football at the next round of negotiations.

I mean that's great that $aban said that but perhaps the $EC should join the rest of the country and play 9 conference games first....

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
I can't remember who published it or who did the analysis but a couple years back some finance guru explained how breaking the country up into regional pods would optimize viewership and overall revenue. IMO this idea seemed to make the most sense.

Thats how you can be 100% sure it will never happen.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
The CFA failed basically because the bigger conferences didn't want to continue to support the lower conferences. Trust me, the SEV and BIG 10 would never try to work out a deal that would help everyone. All conferences are in this for themselves.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Fundamental change seldom happens without a crisis. It will take a collapse of TV revenues for any sensible change to occur with realignment, perhaps yielding what your analysis suggests.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Thats how you can be 100% sure it will never happen.

The SEC and B1G would fight this becuase they would be losing
Fundamental change seldom happens without a crisis. It will take a collapse of TV revenues for any sensible change to occur with realignment, perhaps yielding what your analysis suggests.

I completely agree. The SEC and B1G aren't going to give up their financial advantage unless the writing was on the wall and the margin was narrowing and they were experiencing a reduction in revenue.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Its coming sooner than later, IMO.