Program trending......

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
maxresdefault.jpg

Ironically, they are all projecting a 5 or 6 loss season this year because of their.......wait for it.......SCHEDULE! It's a really grind when you have to play OSU once every 5 years....

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Ironically, they are all projecting a 5 or 6 loss season this year because of their.......wait for it.......SCHEDULE! It's a really grind when you have to play OSU once every 5 years....

IDK sounds about right to me.

L vs Penn State 9/23
L @ Mich State 9/30
L @ Northwestern 10/21
L vs Ohio State 11/4
L @ Wisconsin 11/11
L @ Nebraska 11/24

Thefullmonte

Nov 3, 2015
Part of the problem is competing against a conference full of teams that take football very damn seriously. Even KU is dedicated to picking up the slack now.

Compare that to the other conferences where you can always count on a few cupcakes because football at those schools is still a bit of an afterthought:

SEC: Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Missouri
B1G: Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland
ACC: Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, NC State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest
PAC: Oregon State, Cal, Washington State, Arizona

This is dumb. Really dumb.

Off the top of my head, something like 9-10 of these teams made a bowl game last year. Something this school hasn't done in five years. I don't think anyone in our fan base should Be throwing rocks at other schools, no matter how optimistic about the future we may be

Thefullmonte

Nov 3, 2015
Here you go. 16 teams on this list won more games than us last year.

With two ties.

SEC: Vanderbilt (6-7), Kentucky (7-6), Mississippi State (6-7), Missouri (4-8)
I am a giant douche: Minnesota (9-4), Illinois(3-9), Indiana (6-7), Rutgers (2-10), Purdue (3-9), Maryland (6-7)
ACC: Boston College (7-6), Syracuse (4-8), Virginia (2-10), Duke (4-8), North Carolina(8-5), NC State (7-6), Georgia Tech (9-4)
PAC: Oregon State (4-8), Cal (5-7), Washington State (8-5), Arizona (3-9)

rickyrudd

Oct 10, 2010
This is exactly right! I'm not saying the Big 12 is better than the SEC or anything, but way more balanced. In any of these conferences there are probably three easy wins every year. And that doesn't count OOC! So when you've been on the outside looking in for a few years it's harder to climb in a conference like the Big 12.
The Big 12 historically has two sure fire easy wins. One if them is Iowa State though, so you don't get to play against them.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I agree.
One question I struggle with -" is it harder or easier now than in the Majors/Bruce era?"
I think it is harder now. College football is the biggest it's ever been, definitely national, but with some areas of strong regional bias. I am sure you noticed the Dallas papers list of the top 10 big 12 quarterbacks. Every school had a representative except ISU. They picked the second team OU QB ahead of Park. It is also much more about $ as ever before. Plus the "haves" are getting 24/7 glorification from ESPN and the networks, whereas our only mention sometimes is making somebodiesbottom 10 list. Also, population demographics continue to work against us, and favor the south.
Impossible .... no. Easy .... no.
Is Campbell the right guy? I think YES.

I can answer that one ....its a lot harder now than for Majors or Bruce. When we were in the big 8 the only team that had a lot of Texas talent was Oklahoma and Okie State also had some of that talent.

Majors recruited Florida really well and Bruce got big time talent from Southern Georgia and also Florida....In those days both florida and florida state were down programs......We now are in a southern league with speed to burn and geographically ISU is a bad fit ...another good reason that Nebraska bolted for the big 10......

The Matt Campbell years will answer the question if ISU can compete in the big 12.....Matt is the best football coach we have had in awhile and I wish him and the footballers the best......

Like I have stated before its time to start beating iowa...kstate and of course UNI.....

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
There is no SEC team that is a cupcake. Most years there will be a couple programs that have a down year but the talent in that conference is simply better than the others. Plus, all 14 teams have had good (or even great) seasons very recently. I think Kentucky is probably the worst, and they've been going to bowl games. Most all of the others have had 9-11 win seasons within the past 3 years. That's a crazy amount of parity.

• Agree
Reactions: Thefullmonte

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This is dumb. Really dumb.

Off the top of my head, something like 9-10 of these teams made a bowl game last year. Something this school hasn't done in five years. I don't think anyone in our fan base should Be throwing rocks at other schools, no matter how optimistic about the future we may be

Wow, Thefullmonte coming strong with the "we". Can't wait for you to join the **** show that is @CyTwins and @YeahBuddy

cyLKUIF

Jun 3, 2016
Part of the problem is competing against a conference full of teams that take football very damn seriously. Even KU is dedicated to picking up the slack now.

Compare that to the other conferences where you can always count on a few cupcakes because football at those schools is still a bit of an afterthought:

ACC: Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, NC State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest

You can't be serious with this lol. A lot of those teams have had recent success

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The "easier now vs. '70s" question -- not sure there's a simple answer.

* Scholarship limit/balance was mentioned, and I think it has some merit, haves vs. have-not gap. But the power schools still get most of the top recruits anyway. A main difference is (alluded to in a post earlier re: Big 8 Nebraska period) major programs can't stack up as much depth at numerous positions.

* Also discussed earlier: Playing field for exposure is more level today with access to media coverage. Even so, similar to recruiting, prime spots still go to the biggest names.

* It's much easier to qualify for a bowl game compared to '70s, obviously. That seems like a positive for success-starved programs, but it's also relative: An invitation to, say, the 33rd-highest bowl isn't going to bring much separation from similar-level programs. A 6-6 season in 2017 isn't much different than a 6-5 season in 1978, other than reaching postseason is more likely.

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
IDK sounds about right to me.

L vs Penn State 9/23
L @ Mich State 9/30
L @ Northwestern 10/21
L vs Ohio State 11/4
L @ Wisconsin 11/11
L @ Nebraska 11/24

Definitely could happen. Iowa's conference schedule actually looks more challenging on paper than it has in recent seasons.

The "soft" part of overall schedule shouldn't be much challenge, Wyoming, North Texas, Illinois, Minnesota, at Purdue. UI fans might say ISU is in the "soft" portion, but I'm more inclined to say that game is 50/50.

Iowa probably pulls an upset win in B10, then negates it with head-scratcher loss. Maybe they win at home vs. Penn State, but lose at Purdue. Something like that.

Last edited:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The "easier now vs. '70s" question -- not sure there's a simple answer.

* Scholarship limit/balance was mentioned, and I think it has some merit, haves vs. have-not gap. But the power schools still get most of the top recruits anyway. A main difference is (alluded to in a post earlier re: Big 8 Nebraska period) major programs can't stack up as much depth at numerous positions.

* Also discussed earlier: Playing field for exposure is more level today with access to media coverage. Even so, similar to recruiting, prime spots still go to the biggest names.

* It's much easier to qualify for a bowl game compared to '70s, obviously. That seems like a positive for success-starved programs, but it's also relative: An invitation to, say, the 33rd-highest bowl isn't going to bring much separation from similar-level programs. A 6-6 season in 2017 isn't much different than a 6-5 season in 1978, other than reaching postseason is more likely.

I like it when you say "major programs cant stack up as much depth".....Now here's the shocker of a lifetime...NOT...the Worst offender of hoarding players was ...thee university of texas, who had around 500 players* on scholarship all the frickin time, and thats why nobody could compete with them in the SWC.....Their toughest game back then was Oklahoma of course.

*from the book "Meat on the Hoof"... written by a former university of texas football player....who stated the worst time was winter conditioning drills,......He called them the Medina Drills as I remember, because the conditioning coach was named Medina......

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I think it is harder to develop a long term winning program now. The parity created by scholarship limits and walk-on limits mean that even getting a couple of good recruiting classes in a row does not mean a couple of winning seasons. You not only face the top 2 or 3 schools in your conference who are loaded, the next 5 schools likely have as good of players recruited as you do. So instead of having a couple of good classes and going 8-4 two years in a row, you have a much higher likelihood of being 6-6 because there is not much difference between #4 in the conference and #8 in the conference. I really want to move to the #5-6 spot in the conference in the next two seasons to see where it takes us. I think the TT win last year and being so close in other games means we are much closer than our record shows. We just have to have continual improvement and avoid having a ton of injuries.

Thefullmonte

Nov 3, 2015
If ISU and Iowa play each other who do you want to win?

This is the second time you've asked this stupid question

Why would I come here talking about things ISU needs to do to be successful....only to go root for EIU on Saturday's???