Ready Player One

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Anyone else excited for this? I read the book awhile back and loved it. Looks like there will be some changes to the book, but hard to argue with something Spielberg is involved with.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
What's the overall premise of the book, cuz that seems like Eater Eggs the Movie.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Premise is that a Steve Jobs like character makes a VR world called the Oasis that is a huge phenomenon that everyone uses and it becomes a big part of everyday life for people. Then years later, the guy dies and its announced that the guy left a series of clues and easter eggs in the VR world. The guy was a kid in the 80s so most of the clues and the VR world have large amounts of 80s nostalgia. The first person to solve the clues inherits the company.

Of course the good guy is the poor kid in the trailer, the bad guys are a huge company that want control of the VR world. From there it's a pretty standard good vs bad conflict. What people liked about the book was all the 80s nostalgia. The movie is exciting because Spielberg is making it, who influenced a lot of the nostalgia that the book included.

You put it pretty well though, easter egg the movie

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Looks fun but that's one where 2045 will be here before people know it and they'll chuckle.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
Got my tickets for the March 28th show. I'm really looking forward to it.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Loved the book, hope it adapts well to film.
This is where I'm at as well. I enjoyed the book, but I worry about how all of the pop culture will be referenced in the film. It needs to be on the subtle side. There's the risk of the filmmakers going all hamfisted on every reference, and the film would suffer for that, imho. I'm hopeful, but wary.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
This is where I'm at as well. I enjoyed the book, but I worry about how all of the pop culture will be referenced in the film. It needs to be on the subtle side. There's the risk of the filmmakers going all hamfisted on every reference, and the film would suffer for that, imho. I'm hopeful, but wary.

From the trailers I don't get the sense that the pop-culture references will be subtle, and they weren't really in the book, so I'm okay with that. I really liked the book but I've been preparing myself for a movie version that is drastically different. I think too much of the book would be tricky to adapt, plus Spielberg films based on existing content tend to use the content for inspiration.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
I loved the book as well. I read it a couple years ago and as I was reading it, I thought it'd make a good movie. Shortly after that, I saw that it was being made into a film. I don't know if it can be as good as the book, but I'm looking forward to it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

It's funny you say that because I just read a review that basically said the author was ham fisted in his long listing of detailed pop culture references from the 80's. The review said the movie was actually an improvement in this aspect because rather than a long paragraph describing all the different cultural references of the main characters delorean, for example, you just see it on screen. They made it seem like it was a story that adapted very well to a movie.

• Agree
Reactions: cdface

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
Did anyone else see this tonight? I enjoyed it, but it definitely deviates from the book in many ways. I wasn't expecting it to match up perfectly because that rarely happens, but there's some stuff that I wish would have been included.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
I saw it over the weekend and found it enjoyable. In my opinion, the deviations from the book didn't detract from the film overall. I'd recommend it.

I saw it in 3D (which I rarely do) based on a few reviews that said it was a "must-see in 3D" flick. I'm a little torn on if I agree with that assessment. On one hand, I don't feel like there were any really memorable 3D moments, which was surprising. In fact, I don't remember the 3D aspect really sticking out in any significant way. But on the other hand, maybe that's a good thing. Usually 3D is too jarring for my tastes and just ends up giving me a headache. That didn't happen with this movie. Kinda odd.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The movie pulled big money in China, haven't seen USA results yet.

I went Friday and really don't know what to think having had no experience with the book.

Speilberg (besides being 71) looks to be past his prime.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Saw the movie this past Friday and had a really good time. No, it isn't one of Spielberg's best groundbreaking movies that I'll always hold dear in my heart, but it was still just a really good time. Also, for it being such a nostalgia-driven movie with its visuals, at its heart, it is somewhat surprisingly a very original idea for a movie. Therefore, for those bashing Spielberg for him riding this thing purely on nostalgia, I think they need to look a bit closer. The movie's story almost plays out more like a video game than a movie and pulls it off well, which is something nobody has really done before.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron