Tom Osborne says he's talked to schools that have shown "interest" in Big Ten

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That whole article by CW sounds like revisionist history by Dr. Tom. Nebby is nothing more than a average team with their best years in the past. They left the B12 because they couldn't beat the big boys, little did they know OU, Baylor, TCU would be the teams to beat in a decade. The only thing that hasn't changed is that OU is still consistently good in most sports.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Forget Nebraska. Let's move to West.

I think Big 12 and Pac 12 will eventually join forces together and form massive conference.

Current Big 12 + Colorado = East Division
Rest of Pac 12 = West Division

Pac 12 aren't doing so well on $$$ and Big 12 wants big name members that adds value. Well, why not!

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Odd thing is I seem to remember OU saying they would play NU as a non-con to keep the tradition alive when the league schedule flipped.

I also seem to remember NU turning this down.
The Sooners and Cornhuskers, who were already scheduled to renew their rivalry in Norman on Sept. 18, 2021, and play in Lincoln on Sept. 17, 2022, will now also meet in the 2029 and 2030 seasons, it was revealed by OU athletics director Joe Castiglione and Nebraska athletics director Shawn Eichorst.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210651094

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
That whole article by CW sounds like revisionist history by Dr. Tom. Nebby is nothing more than a average team with their best years in the past. They left the B12 because they couldn't beat the big boys, little did they know OU, Baylor, TCU would be the teams to beat in a decade. The only thing that hasn't changed is that OU is still consistently good in most sports.
No, they left the Big 12 because the south division teams all sought to join the Pac 12 - led by Texas.
Breaking news - if like Neb, ISU had gotten a Big Ten invite, we would have joined in a second.

• Dislike
Reactions: Lineup

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Forget Nebraska. Let's move to West.

I think Big 12 and Pac 12 will eventually join forces together and form massive conference.

Current Big 12 + Colorado = East Division
Rest of Pac 12 = West Division

Pac 12 aren't doing so well on $$$ and Big 12 wants big name members that adds value. Well, why not!

If the PAC isn't doing well then I would hope the Big 12 wouldn't take the entire group.

6 possible? USC, UCLA, UofA, Arizona St, Cal and Stanford?

Ugh. That looks like hell. Utah and CU instead of the Bay Area teams to keep some type of geographic sanity?

USC and ISU in the same conference? Nothing says college football is dead more than that shotgun wedding (and Rutgers)

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Odd thing is I seem to remember OU saying they would play NU as a non-con to keep the tradition alive when the league schedule flipped.

I also seem to remember NU turning this down.

Actually from what I read it was the other way around. NU wanted to keep the game an annual affair, but OU turned it down. (They already had to play Texas, A&M and OSU every year......they weren't very good at the time of the Big 12's formation and Nebraska was on top of the CFB world. Why would they want to play that game every year at that point?)

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
KU stadium is at just over 50K, so while small, does fit into the footprint of the BIG. As for the PAC 12, they continue to hemorrhage $'s...

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/...e-to-sec-big-ten-is-real-and-its-spectacular/

Throw in the University of Cal Bears, new home of a recent ISU basketball commit...long read, but informative...

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.c...bears-athletics-debt-service-finances-revenue

Each team in the PAC 12 makes $5-6 Million LESS a year than ISU from Tier 1 rights...so what conference is better positioned to raid the other over the next few years...

• Informative
Reactions: Althetuna

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Mods, please change the thread title to "Tom Osborne Talks To Himself About Schools That Have Shown Interest In Big Ten"

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
KU stadium is at just over 50K, so while small, does fit into the footprint of the BIG. As for the PAC 12, they continue to hemorrhage $'s...
Size isn't everything. Keep and I went down there last year. That stadium is an embarrassment.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Osborne ripped on the Big 12 since day one. He protested having academic standards for freshmen, because it would hurt his recruiting. He didn't want a title game, but was okay with it if Lincoln was the host. He can EABOD.

Oh yeah, and he lost to Jim Walden.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

isu83

May 5, 2010
They struggled to beat ISU.