Votes: 69 27.4%
  • no

Votes: 183 72.6%

• Total voters

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Thumbs down the last two posts cuz I F'n HATE poop brown gold.

LOVE the updated walking Cy concept. Never understood why a bird would need boots. Talons look way cooler.

Email JP

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
On a personal level, Cy is a cool mascot and Walking Cy is a cool mascot logo. However, as a mascot for the Cyclones, do we really want to rely on inside knowledge to know that Cy is a Cyclone and not really a Cardinal? As much as I didn't like the blue in the old "bird in a blender" logo, at least it suggested that Cy was something other than a bird. I would like to see something that looks less like a cardinal and more like a living cyclone.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
On a personal level, Cy is a cool mascot and Walking Cy is a cool mascot logo. However, as a mascot for the Cyclones, do we really want to rely on inside knowledge to know that Cy is a Cyclone and not really a Cardinal? As much as I didn't like the blue in the old "bird in a blender" logo, at least it suggested that Cy was something other than a bird. I would like to see something that looks less like a cardinal and more like a living cyclone.

Why is a Crimson Tide an elephant? Why is a Hurrican a Pelican? Why is Stanford Cardinal a tree? Why is a Midshipmen a ram? Why is a Sooner a horse? Why is an Aggie a dog?

We're not alone.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
"I-State" looks great with a white background and okay on a cardinal one.

Its gold outline disappears into a gold or yellow background, however.

Having a cardinal secondary like this that will look good on a gold helmet would be great.

An update of the 1980s tornado in gold would look great on the cardinal helmet.

Anybody want to show me what those three concepts would look like together? :D

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Why is a Crimson Tide an elephant? Why is a Hurrican a Pelican? Why is Stanford Cardinal a tree? Why is a Midshipmen a ram? Why is a Sooner a horse? Why is an Aggie a dog?

We're not alone.

About the bolded: Its not a Pelican. Its an Ibis. (Assuming you are talking about the U anyways). Per Wikipedia, Miami adopted a native marsh bird called the Ibis as their mascot due to their bravery as hurricanes approach. Supposedly other birds look to it for leadership according to folklore.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
About the bolded: Its not a Pelican. Its an Ibis. (Assuming you are talking about the U anyways). Per Wikipedia, Miami adopted a native marsh bird called the Ibis as their mascot due to their bravery as hurricanes approach. Supposedly other birds look to it for leadership according to folklore.

Ah. That's right. My bad.

Very informative, Captain Obvious.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
You are right. But we could something about alternative logos
Adding-Jack6.jpg

I disagree with you. In many of the examples you provided, I would only recognize and associate correctly 1-2 of the logos provided to each of the schools. NC's foot and mascot logo are stupid and I see it nowhere. I don't see the mascot logo for MSU either, while I wouldn't associate a giant S with MSU. ASU is somewhat unique though I wouldn't recognize the nickname logo right off the bat (I'd assume it was some CFL team logo). USC has the nickname logo as most recognizable while the SC I associate more with South Carolina (regardless of colors/font) and have never seen the mascot logo for them before. As far as I'm aware, living outside Iowa, I only ever see the nickname logo for them.

What's the point in having, and paying for, all three when only one is used and recognized? Don't tell me we should have all 3 just because other schools do.

• Disagree
Reactions: CycloneCJ

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

And the Stanford tree is the bands mascot not the athletic department.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Appreciate the effort, but the updated walking Cy looks awful. The update bird in a blender is easily better.

I agree with half of this. I hate "updating" logos. Why update Walking Cy? Leave it alone. There's a reason why so many people like it. We don't need Iowa State to have a ticked-off mascot.

The bird in blender is awful (but will be fun in 20 years for a throwback game).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron