Lil Ferentz takes digs at ISU

rob05

Apr 14, 2006
Ankeny
They did. And yeah the January bowl thing is pretty dumb. I do think this year there may be a chance that Big 12 graduates from the minors and plays somebody with a pulse.

I know, the XII teams blew out their opponents this bowl season...only good game was a decent TCU vs decent Georgia team. WV got embarrassed by a team I'm intrigued to watch this year in Miami.

Otherwise the XII blew their competition out. I hate it when games aren't competitive and teams are overmatched. Saw that a lot this bowl season (I mean, seriously, not even ONE point).

Edit: meant to also say as much as I don't want it, Texas is unknown, OU is probably the best hope for a XII CFP appearance. That OSU game should be good.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I know, the XII teams blew out their opponents this bowl season...only good game was a decent TCU vs decent Georgia team. WV got embarrassed by a team I'm intrigued to watch this year in Miami.

Otherwise the XII blew their competition out. I hate it when games aren't competitive and teams are overmatched. Saw that a lot this bowl season (I mean, seriously, not even ONE point).

Edit: meant to also say as much as I don't want it, Texas is unknown, OU is probably the best hope for a XII CFP appearance. That OSU game should be good.

Kind of like an only slightly overweight kid bragging about winning the 50 against a bunch of really, really fat kids. Again, congrats. And good for you for having such conference pride and watching bowl games since... well, you know.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

rob05

Apr 14, 2006
Ankeny
Kind of like an only slightly overweight kid bragging about winning the 50 against a bunch of really, really fat kids. Again, congrats. And good for you for having such conference pride and watching bowl games since... well, you know.

So losing bowl games, as long as it's perceived as a "good" loss is better than winning them? What? At least you got those excuses ready.

Also, stating the VERY obvious (games weren't competitive) is conference pride?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yes, the B1G conference has arranged great bowl games for its teams, no question, it's just that they are too good of bowl games for them to compete in. They are going to better bowl games than they deserve. If they went to lesser quality bowl games they might be able to compete.

• Agree
Reactions: helechopper

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So losing bowl games, as long as it's perceived as a "good" loss is better than winning them? What? At least you got those excuses ready.

Also, stating the VERY obvious (games weren't competitive) is conference pride?

Nah you guys just ring that "look how hard our schedule is" anthem so much, weird how that sentiment suddenly disappears for bowl games. ISU fan's entire MO is how taking good losses against a tough SOS is more noble than Iowa winning vs. weak opponents. But again congrats to the Big 12 for being Anthony Michael Hall in 'Sixteen Candles'.

rob05

Apr 14, 2006
Ankeny
Nah you guys just ring that "look how hard our schedule is" anthem so much, weird how that sentiment suddenly disappears for bowl games. ISU fan's entire MO is how taking good losses against a tough SOS is more noble than Iowa winning vs. weak opponents. But again congrats to the Big 12 for being Anthony Michael Hall in 'Sixteen Candles'.

This whole post is huh? I mean Sixteen Candles (I did laugh).

Ok, were ending this once and for all.

Yes/No only:

1. Does Oklahoma score?
2. Were a majority of the XII games easy victories?
3. Is ketchup on hotdogs acceptable?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This whole post is huh? I mean Sixteen Candles (I did laugh).

Ok, were ending this once and for all.

Yes/No only:

1. Does Oklahoma score?
2. Were a majority of the XII games easy victories?
3. Is ketchup on hotdogs acceptable?

Haha. Good stuff.

1. Maybe
2. Definitely
3. Never

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yes, the B1G conference has arranged great bowl games for its teams, no question, it's just that they are too good of bowl games for them to compete in. They are going to better bowl games than they deserve. If they went to lesser quality bowl games they might be able to compete.
Certainly don't buy that among the Big 10's top teams....OSU, Mich and Penn State are dominant, and Wisconsin very good. We in the Big 12 have really only two - OU is dominant, Okla State very good.
I can see why the Sooners are getting antsy about this conference - time for others in it to pull their weight.

Reactions: HawkeyeMashup

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Whoa - there have been several guys who coached "under Belichick" who have been thought to be "can't miss" successes as head coaches, but weren't...like Crennel, Mangini, McDaniels, and of course Charlie Weis.
There's certainly no guarantee that Brian Ferentz = Bill O'Brien.

I never said BF was a lock to be successful. My point was he is clearly qualified and has the experience to be an OC at a P5 school.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I never said BF was a lock to be successful. My point was he is clearly qualified and has the experience to be an OC at a P5 school.
??? Don't know that I've seen too many offensive line coaches promoted directly to offensive coordinator at a P5 school - certainly not at Iowa. O'Keefe for example was a HC at two different schools I believe before joining Ferentz at Iowa in 1999.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
??? Don't know that I've seen too many offensive line coaches promoted directly to offensive coordinator at a P5 school - certainly not at Iowa. O'Keefe for example was a HC at two different schools I believe before joining Ferentz at Iowa in 1999.

Honest question, where do most come from? I assumed P5 position coaches to P5 OC was a natural progression.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Honest question, where do most come from? I assumed P5 position coaches to P5 OC was a natural progression.
Seems to me most OC's at P5 schools were first proven OC's or HC's at smaller schools.
Like two new hires last year of note: OU hired Lincoln Riley, who broke all sorts of offensive records first as OC at East Carolina. His OU offense broke all kinds of FBS records last year. Penn State hired Fordham's HC Joe Moorhead, who had prolific offenses at that school. You saw the change in State College.
Just think Brian Ferentz is a huge risk. If Ferentz had wanted to look for someone like a Riley or a Moorhead, he certainly would have had the checkbook to do it.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Seems to me most OC's at P5 schools were first proven OC's or HC's at smaller schools.
Like two new hires last year of note: OU hired Lincoln Riley, who broke all sorts of offensive records first as OC at East Carolina. His OU offense broke all kinds of FBS records last year. Penn State hired Fordham's HC Joe Moorhead, who had prolific offenses at that school. You saw the change in State College.
Just think Brian Ferentz is a huge risk. If Ferentz had wanted to look for someone like a Riley or a Moorhead, he certainly would have had the checkbook to do it.

Disagreed, Riley's base pay was $900K which is more than double what BF is going to make ($450K).

PSU doesn't have to make university employee salaries public so I couldn't find what Moorhead makes.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Disagreed, Riley's base pay was $900K which is more than double what BF is going to make ($450K).

PSU doesn't have to make university employee salaries public so I couldn't find what Moorhead makes.
I'm sure Moorhead has to be up there. Prob got a raise after last year too. He quit his HC job at Fordham to join Franklin.
Just saying that Iowa could easily pay $1 mil or more - if they wanted to - for a star OC.

• Disagree
Reactions: YeahBuddy

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover

a lot more than you can afford buddy!!!!

I just felt like saying that. This thread is great because it contains all the hawk fans who havent realized there is a desolate wasteland called hawkeye nation in which to post on. A place where you click new posts and it brings up threads last updated 3 weeks ago. If half of you posted as frequently on that site as you do here (and im not saying youre not welcome here) Jon MIller wouldnt be selling plumbing supplies in kansas right now.

MVCchamps

May 1, 2017

It isn't a money thing for Iowa as much as it is a philosophy thing. Iowa is never going to be a school to out talent folks like OSU, Michigan and Penn State can. So to compete Iowa is going to have to be a developmental program. I feel you look at where Iowa spends it resources and focus for football it is on development. Our facilities and coaching salaries show clearly what we value while being competitive within conference and national norms. I was intrigued by early thought of Joe Philbin returning as he had OC and HC experience at the NFL level but recruiting wasn't something he wanted to do again. Brian understands the challenges at Iowa and is entrenched in the successful philosophy and culture that has been built. He will either be successful or he won't. Kirk has always had a pretty specific plan in mind for his program and overall it has been successful. Not to say everything has gone as planned but there has been more good than bad. Nothing leads me to think anything is that different.