SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Thought this was in interesting article by Stewart Mandel of Fox Sports. No suprise ISU is in the worst of the 4 tiers. I'm guessing it would take quite a bit of winning for ISU to move up a tier because of their not so great history. Would also be interested to see a similar article published for MBB as well.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-66-bcs-teams-into-four-tier-hierarchy-052517
Nebraska fans not gonna be happy. I'm sure he is getting death threats already.

And yes, "those guys in Eastern Iowa" have a decent program but you aren't even close to elite.

I really don't have an issue with the list.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Hard to argue that we haven't been in the bottom tier of these 66 Power 5 teams. I think we could easily swap back up a level with Kansas State or Texas Tech.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Hard to argue that we haven't been in the bottom tier of these 66 Power 5 teams. I think we could easily swap back up a level with Kansas State or Texas Tech.
As he states with his Kansas reference, we would have to have 5 years of 6-8 wins in a row to be considered for the next level in 5 years. We have little tradition, one of the worst records in P5 over just about any time frame you could throw out, change our "look" just about every year, have the longest streak of not having a #1 draft pick by a long ways and other things I'm not even thinking about. We're frankly at just about the bottom of the bottom tier right now. There is very little that will change this perception outside of consistent winning over a long period.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As he states with his Kansas reference, we would have to have 5 years of 6-8 wins in a row to be considered for the next level in 5 years. We have little tradition, one of the worst records in P5 over just about any time frame you could throw out, change our "look" just about every year, have the longest streak of not having a #1 draft pick by a long ways and other things I'm not even thinking about. We're frankly at just about the bottom of the bottom tier right now. There is very little that will change this perception outside of consistent winning over a long period.
I think you mean having a first round pick. Sixteen schools have 47 (over half) of the #1 picks in draft history and those 16 schools are the only ones to have more than one. I'm pretty sure ISU isn't alone in not having a #1 pick in the draft.

5 - ND, USC
4 - Stanford, Auburn, Georgia
3 - Texas, OU, Ohio State
2 - Nebraska, LSU, Miami, Penn St, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Tennessee, S Carolina

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
That list is awful. No consistency what so ever. Having Syracuse, Cal, TTech, NC State, Virginia on the same line as TCU, Iowa, K State and OK State is a goddamn joke.

Perennial (4-8)-(5-7) teams shouldn't be considered the same as (8-4)-(10-2) teams.

• Disagree
Reactions: Brandon

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
That list is awful. No consistency what so ever. Having Syracuse, Cal, TTech, NC State, Virginia on the same line as TCU, Iowa, K State and OK State is a goddamn joke.

Perennial (4-8)-(5-7) teams shouldn't be considered the same as (8-4)-(10-2) teams.

LOL. He probably took into account the mighty B1G accounts for four of the Peasants.

• Funny
Reactions: Drumlum

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I think you mean having a first round pick. Sixteen schools have 47 (over half) of the #1 picks in draft history and those 16 schools are the only ones to have more than one. I'm pretty sure ISU isn't alone in not having a #1 pick in the draft.

5 - ND, USC
4 - Stanford, Auburn, Georgia
3 - Texas, OU, Ohio State
2 - Nebraska, LSU, Miami, Penn St, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Tennessee, S Carolina

Yes, I meant first round. Thanks for clarifying.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Texas and Miami do not belong in the top tier - Stanford and maybe Georgia and Auburn do.
If he's going to "cross off" Neb, he has to cross off Texas.
Nebraska hasn't won more than 10 games in any of the last 15 seasons. Texas has had more than 10 wins 5 times including a National Championship and a Runner up during that same period. I think he has demonstrated that it takes time to move up or move down on this list as it should.

I have no argument for Miami.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I don't see how you can argue about much of the lists.

doing four tiers is tough. Alabama and Miami aren't in the same tier (nor is Alabama and most of the schools he listed as Kings.

Look at what Tennessee and Wisconsin have accomplished the last decade, they belong on the same tier?

He really needs 6 tiers, one for the real elites which would be about 5 schools big and one between peasants and knights to stuff the illinois, maryland, syracuse's into.

So something like:

tier 1 : Alabama, Ohio St, Clemson, Florida St, Oklahoma- basically the cream of the crop in college football recently
tier 2 : Florida, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, PSU, Texas, USC, Oregon, Stanford, Wisconsin, Georgia, Auburn, Michigan St - teams you'll never be surprised are playing in a playoff game (Michigan St may find their way off this tier if last year turns out to not be a fluke)
tier 3: Nebraska, Tennessee, Miami, A&M, UCLA, Arkansas, Bill Snyder KSU, Oklahoma St, TCU, Iowa, Washington, Louisville, Baylor (assuming they don't collapse) - teams who might contend for a playoff spot once a decade
tier 4: ASU, BYU, Ga Tech, Missouri, North Carolina, Northwestern, Ole Miss, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Utah, South Carolina - teams where that are normally bowl teams but might be a playoff team once in a generation
Tier 5: everyone not already listed
Tier 6: Kansas, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Indiana, Iowa State: teams that have struggled to make bowl games the last five years

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Nebraska hasn't won more than 10 games in any of the last 15 seasons. Texas has had more than 10 wins 5 times including a National Championship and a Runner up during that same period. I think he has demonstrated that it takes time to move up or move down on this list as it should.

Change that from 10 wins to 9 wins and then what happens?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Well, in the 21 years of the Big 12 football, Texas has won or shared the title just 3 times. That's a pretty long time span, and hardly the resume of a football "king."