*** Official #24 IOWA STATE VS #10 West Virginia Game(Day) Thread ***

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
My point, it takes a HELL of a team to withstand that for 40 minutes. We aren't there this season. AND YOU SHOULDN"T HAVE TO WITHSTAND THAT MUCH CRAP. That is what officials are supposed to be there for. Not to encourage and reward it.
Totally agree. Except about this team not being able to withstand it.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Does anyone feel that WV is better than they were 2 years ago though. They are a lttle less hacking and a little better at offense. Still way too much fouling, pushing, holding, shoving off, etc. but a little better than two years ago. Maybe I am wrong. Still think the officials called an uneven game though.

This whole West Virginia thing is a fad that will go away in a few years. There are undoubtedly coaches out there right now assembling the personnel l to recruit 13 thugs that can foul and press all the time. Once this isnt such a new thing other teams will catch on and the refs will be forced to keep things under control.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Glad Prohm got in the ref's ear enough to draw a tech. That was getting out of control.
Only thing different I would have liked to have seen would have been to keep Babb out there a few more minutes. He seemed to handle the pressure well and it looks like hes better with scramble situations as opposed to thinking through an offensive set.
Agree. I would have liked to see more Babb. Since we were getting screwed we should have used it as a night to get the bench extended minutes.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Well our shooting percentage killed us the 2nd half. But how we outfouled WVU is amazing. I would love to see a reffing crew call them all against them, I don't care if the game would take four hours.
It wouldn't last four hours. They would run out of players

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
What is there to fire back about besides the post you responded to? I'll say this, I normally pull for Big 12 teams in the tourney but man you guys are unwatchable. I dont know how you can call that basketball and as fans I would be ashamed if my team played that way.

You literally foul at all times and let the refs try to sort it out. It makes the thug ball that Izzo plays at Michigan State seem relatively clean.

Well, if we can keep it civil, let's start with the fact that you all lost the offensive rebounding 18-8 and total rebounding 48-29...how is that related to loose foul calling? I didn't read many, if any, complaints in the 27 pages of the thread complaining about rebounding fouls.

No offense but did you watch the "unwatchable" game? I'm not ashamed of any part of our team...I'm not on the team, no one on the team is related to me, I didn't coach the team or the game, I didn't referee the game. I'm just a dude on a couch.

As for fouling "at all times", isn't it the job of the refs to "sort it out"? If Huggs' and Izzo's (two very successful coaches) coaching is giving them an unfair advantage and is an offense to the game, why would the NCAA let it continue? I've used this analogy before...I was a baseball pitcher in college; if the umpire was giving me a little extra plate low and away you know for damn sure I was going to live there the whole game. I wasn't embarrassed to do it and I certainly didn't think it was an offense to the game. You have to adjust to the referees/umpire all the time.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Well, if we can keep it civil, let's start with the fact that you all lost the offensive rebounding 18-8 and total rebounding 48-29...how is that related to loose foul calling? I didn't read many, if any, complaints in the 27 pages of the thread complaining about rebounding fouls.

No offense but did you watch the "unwatchable" game? I'm not ashamed of any part of our team...I'm not on the team, no one on the team is related to me, I didn't coach the team or the game, I didn't referee the game. I'm just a dude on a couch.

As for fouling "at all times", isn't it the job of the refs to "sort it out"? If Huggs' and Izzo's (two very successful coaches) coaching is giving them an unfair advantage and is an offense to the game, why would the NCAA let it continue? I've used this analogy before...I was a baseball pitcher in college; if the umpire was giving me a little extra plate low and away you know for damn sure I was going to live there the whole game. I wasn't embarrassed to do it and I certainly didn't think it was an offense to the game. You have to adjust to the referees/umpire all the time.

We always get outrebounded by every team, I dont have any complaints about that.

I watched the entire game, Ive watched you guys play at least 10-12 times this year. I dont know how you guys as fans can sit through that. Its not even basketball anymore. All 5 guys literally foul at all times when the other team has the ball and Im not even exagerating.

I pitched in college also and I dont know how you can compare the two. At least in college if I was getting the outside corner the hitters could adjust and start swinging at balls. How do you adjust to being mugged all the time in basketball? A better analogy is if I was getting the outside corner and my catcher was interfering with their swing every time and the ump wasnt doing anything about it.

I used to like you guys, I really did, but you are quickly becoming one of the most unlikeable teams in the conference.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Adjust, how can one team get ******* hacked all game with no calls, but yet breathe on the other team and get called. These officials need to grow a pair make calls and tell huggy to shut the F up. He just intimidates them all game. Good luck getting away with hack a thon basketball in the tournament without big twelve officials in your corner.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I really dislike West Virginia. Proud of how we competed. Overall we played ok, refs changed to the flow of the game in the second half. Tough place to play and a tough team to beat when they shoot it well. Glad that game is done. I really dislike West Virginia.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

You play garbage basketball predicated on bullying and overwhelming officiating rather than actual talent of any kind. Enjoy another early exit in the NCAA's.

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
WVU has some good players. We had the number 1 player out of ohio 2 of the past 3 years, and the 17th ranked incoming class this year(2017).For 2018 wvu has a guy who played with the harlem globetrotters when he was 12-a real basketball wizard aka pistol pete.

WVU won the old Big East, with uconn, gerorgetown, cuse, nova, marquette, st. john, pitt, kouisville cinn, etc etc. WVU has been to final 4 with huggins, and had a run of many sweet 16's elite 8's and a ff in a row post 2000. WVU is a good basketball team.

I understand that Huggins style of play is frustrating to opposing teams, but WVU actually has good players too.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
What really gets to me, its not that they are thugs and foul the entire game, its the fact their fans and coach start whining at all and booing once the refs start calling anything.

I always thought Self was the biggest crybaby hypocrite in college basketball but West Virginia and their fans are approaching this level quickly.

• Winner
Reactions: HoustonClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Issue here being that ISU wasn't allowed to play as physical as WV since they were actually called for even being in the area of the ball, so they couldn't adjust to anything other than having to play more off the ball.

WV doesn't have to adjust to anything because they just keep bringing in platoons of hackers who occasionally get called but don't get into any foul trouble.

It's an absolutely garbage way of playing basketball and it's nothing like an ump giving a bit on a strike zone or something.

ISU's other problem was not adjusting to WV's style very well...that's on them.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
WVU has some good players. We had the number 1 player out of ohio 2 of the past 3 years, and the 17th ranked incoming class this year(2017).For 2018 wvu has a guy who played with the harlem globetrotters when he was 12-a real basketball wizard aka pistol pete.

WVU won the old Big East, with uconn, gerorgetown, cuse, nova, marquette, st. john, pitt, kouisville cinn, etc etc. WVU has been to final 4 with huggins, and had a run of many sweet 16's elite 8's and a ff in a row post 2000. WVU is a good basketball team.

I understand that Huggins style of play is frustrating to opposing teams, but WVU actually has good players too.

You were also struggling for the first few years they joined the Big 12 until he decided to turn it into a rugby match. Coincidence?

Dont worry, youll get due process in the tournament again this year when you wont have officials terrified of Thuggins. I'm trying to figure out which 13 or 14 seed to pick against them.

Reactions: HoustonClone

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

So the summary here is "keep cheating until they catch you and make you play by the rules." Nice.

L

LincolnWay187

I think the majority of us Cyclone fans probably expected a loss tonight. You can only win so many in a row and especially on the road against a ranked team. It is hard to let ****** reffing like that slide by though...I could give two damns about West Virginia personally, I will save my hate for KU and Kstate.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
So the summary here is "keep cheating until they catch you and make you play by the rules." Nice.

Thats basically their entire strategy, foul the entire time and hope the turnovers they create from it outweigh the free throws the other team may or may not get.

Its garbage basketball, plus he has 13 guys he can shuttle in and out so he doesnt worry about foul trouble.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Your last example just gave it away. If the officials are going to allow you to hack.....then by all means......hack. And your coach knows exactly how irritating he needs to be to get that job done. That's part of his game. Sometimes it works.....others it doesn't. Tonight........it worked.