RIP Marine/Astronaut/Senator/statesman John Glenn

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I lost a childhood hero today. John Glenn passed away. My father worked on the Apollo Missions; we lived there after Mercury & Gemini were over with, and left before Apollo ended. But Glenn was an ambassador for NASA, and I met him on more than one occasion. He was unfailingly kind and generous when talking to us kids...he was a huge part of my love for space travel and my secret wish to have that opportunity.
He was a true hero. He will be missed.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-first-american-to-orbit-the-earth-dies-at-95

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I just saw them talking about him on the news in the break room but didn't realize he had passed away. I just saw an alert go across my phone.
Sad day once again. Unfortunately as we age we see our childhood heroes pass away.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I read the book The Astrrnaut Wives and the most touching story was his and Annie's. From everything I've read he was a very nice man. Glad to hear I was right.

The space program has slways fascinated me. It's amazing what they do.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
When you think about all the early astronauts, they were just strapped into a rocket and shot up there with the hope they didn't blow up on the launch pad or burn up on reentry. I bet those guys partied hard whenever they got back down.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
When you think about all the early astronauts, they were just strapped into a rocket and shot up there with the hope they didn't blow up on the launch pad or burn up on reentry. I bet those guys partied hard whenever they got back down.
IIRC, most of the early ones started as fighter pilots and/or test pilots, with a few bomber pilots in the mix. They came into the programs already living high risk lives. And yeah - took a special kind of ballsy to sit in those things. Remember the "Shephard's prayer"? "Oh Lord, please don't let me **** up"...
There's a pretty good reason most of them ended up divorced. John and Annie Glenn were a major exception to that rule.

yCy

Apr 12, 2006
He was one of my childhood heroes. I was in grade school when John Glenn went up in Friendship 7. I still have the scrapbook I made with all the newspaper articles written about the flight. Rest in peace.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron