Iowa-Iowa State Fan Map

zmanzbo

Apr 11, 2006
This stupid map is still being talked about? If anyone thinks it's accurate at all that's sad.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How do you know it's not?

1. No one knows where the data came from.
2. OP has very short posting record.
3. OP has not come back to say where the data came from.

Last edited:

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I wonder how many of those Iowa fans are actually UNI alumni/fans. I wonder if they did the map as Iowa, Iowa State, and UNI if Iowa's numbers go down.

i think a lot more of panthers cheer for the Hawks instead of the clones so I could see their number drop down into the 50s%

Factual and serious statement that can also double as a PantherHawk joke....nice work.

Reactions: NetflixAndClone

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Lyon County native here, and I agree with these sentiments. Sounds like you know my in-laws, whom I love, but are "TV Hawks" to the extreme. So, so many farm-dependent and rural folks up that way that seem to believe in all seriousness that UI is somehow the ag-based university in our great state.

My grandparents farmed outside of Spencer and all of their neighbors would give them crap about being Cyclone fans, my Grandfather was quick to point out that Iowa State was the real Ag school in the state of Iowa.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
That makes me realize how much of an island I really was on all my life.

If that's accurate, I can say there's no way it was remotely close to 60/40 twenty years ago.

I'm not buying Linn County just by how much more ISU gear I've seen the last 3-4 years.

Yeah, I'm also questioning the Linn Co results. It's definitely pro-Hawk, however there are many Cyclone fans here. It's not in a small minority as the map depicts. I would've expected 60-70% Hawk tops.

With that said, the overall state total is believable.

• Optimistic
Reactions: YeahBuddy

mriowaniceguy

Sep 11, 2015
39ziAyr.jpg

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I actually think Polk County is more than 60% Cyclone, especially among fans younger than 30. But there is still plenty of uneducated tv fans that couldn't begin to tell you why they started rooting for the hawks in the first place. I always tell them that if they had nothing to do with Iowa, meaning didn't go to school there or have a family member good to school there, then they should be rooting for the local school, the central Iowa team. Of course they are not going to flip, but it is still fun messing with them. I think the only people that really flip are kids that grow hawk fans, but then flip when the go to school at ISU and see the light. As a matter of fact, most of the biggest hawk haters I know are former hawkeye fans.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I think the only people that really flip or kids that grow hawk fans, but then flip when the go to school at ISU and see the light. As a matter of fact, most of the biggest hawk haters I know are former hawkeye fans.

One of them would be me (not that you personally know me, but... you know).

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Its good to see how close nearly all those counties are, if this is a real map.

What would be more interesting would be to break it down by age. I bet +50 year old fandom is still 90-10 hawkeyes, I bet the 25-50 age range is probably half and half, and the under 25 range is more ISU than Iowa. Just in the last 10 years there has been a massive change in the Des Moines area in terms of numbers of ISU fans, specially with kids. And you are starting to see that now with enrollment

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yiiikkkeesss....sad to miss out on all of the talented and intellectually superior Clinton County kids though.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
So, does anyone know anything about the source and how this data was obtained? The percentages seem pretty reasonable, but it seems odd that it isn't sourced.
I wonder if that isn't Twitter or Facebook data that somebody compiled a few years ago. In Linn County there are around 5,000 alumni. When you consider the population and divide it by the average family size, you get an idea of the percentage of families with a connection to Iowa State.

My neighbor is a good example of the turning of the tide in this state. The parents are (or at least were) big Hawkeye fans. Their two oldest sons are in high school and are planning to attend Iowa State. They are hoping to make it to some football games this fall.

I live on a dead end road with 7 homes. Counting the new converts, there are now 4 of the 7 homes with an Iowa State connection. Two homes are Iowa fans and one is Ohio State. One of the Iowa fans is a North Dakota grad that adopted the Hawkeyes after moving to town.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
The gap has been narrowing recently but I would be interested in seeing one of these maps from a year ago compared to right now. I would be curious to see if Iowa's football season widened the gap at all or if the demographics of more ISU grads and the ISU brand becoming more prominent overall has set a trend that is just continuing really regardless of what happens on the field/court.
The map that shows the number of students in each county has changed in recent years. Iowa State is capturing more counties. Of course that makes sense with the growth the university has been seeing.

Last edited:

cyLKUIF

Jun 3, 2016
Late to the thread but I do not trust this thing at all. How many people actually get surveyed for this crap?