KAGAVI: Enhancing ISU brand w/ Trice, uniforms & more.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Now that Kagavi has started us thinking about the design for the north endzone, how about moving the tornado simulator from Howe Hall? Or get a donor to give us a new one with transparent walls that could be used in the new north endzone? Talk about linking our distinctive academics with athletics!

Now you're talkin'. And LED stadium lighting that flashes and simulates lightning with thunder and sirens each time we score.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Oh my, where to start? Kagavi has done it again. I'm not really a design guy, but I love the idea of trying to do more with our nickname.

Snow Cyclones. Using our original gray color. Chevrons. Gold 37 yard line. Mind-blown.

Any ideas for something to replace the "bird in a blender" that brings the nickname and mascot together in a single logo?
Snow Cyclones becomes Snow Clones, which is too confusing when trying to order a Clone Cone.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
With the Chevrons, you could put those on the sleeves of the jerseys, and have them gold and white. Idk just an idea, but I agree, we probably won't get new jerseys this year, but, with the contract with Nike running up, would anyone be opposed of the idea of switching to Under Armor? Hell, GA Tech has a contract with Russell. Maybe it would be a benefit to switch up the companies, It always seems like were 1-2 years behind everyone when it comes to uniforms. JUST ANYTHING BUT ADIDAS.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Wow, another well thought out interesting column. I wasn't a huge fan of the I state logo when it came out, but it has grown on me. I like the way you break it down into 3 clear simple concepts for the logo styles.

the new Alumni building some cool ISU history stuff in it, would there be room to expand things there? Could one of the newly refurbished buildings on campus be used for a museum? One thing I do worry about is the losing of green space on Campus, they have done a great job so far of maintaining it but when you walk on campus it is amazing where they have tucked buildings in and made them seem like they fit, but there is only room for so many.

Well once again thanks Josh for giving fans a lot to think about.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Kagavi is right. There needs to be more done to acknowledge the history on the ISU campus, not just sports. A centralized museum maybe. And they definitely need a ring of honor or something for the football stadium where they retire a jersey, not a number except for the first two guys. The first honorees need to be Jack Trice and Troy Davis and nobody should be able to wear 37 or 28 again. A few years later they can add Tracy Henderson, Matt Blair and George Amundson.

Others to consider: Ed Bock (only player other than Davis in the NCAA hall of fame), Dwight Nichols

If Iowa State goes with a Ring of Fame (which I think should happen), there are many, many names to consider. Jack Trice and Troy Davis are the first two on the ring, but Pop Warner, Earle Bruce, Johnny Majors, Clyde Williams are all coaches that belong on there as well.

In my humble opinion, there should be only one jersey number retired and that is #37.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
I'm also one of those that isn't a fan of the large chevron on the chest. It is definitely not the worst concept I've see, just not my favorite.

I really like the idea of Trice stripes on the sides of the pants and the sides of the shoulders. Go away from the USC cover band uniforms with those Trice Side stripes.

I'm also on the same wagon as those that say no to yellow/gold helmets. I love the white with white or the I State logo stenciled on. That would really stand out, but only as alt helmets with all white unis. I know a lot of people are against the gray unis or black helmets, but those are both mock ups that I've seen that looked pretty sharp as well.

Thanks to Kagavi for once again bringing a great article and ideas here for everyone to discuss. We won't be getting new uniforms this year since it takes a full year for them to do (unless Rhoads and company already had some in production), but the future could bring some really great uniform combos to the Jack.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Don't mess with the ISU logo. Branding is something that takes years to develop. After 10 years, we are just now beginning to see the results. How often have you seen successful major programs change logos? (Almost never.)

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Wow, another well thought out interesting column. I wasn't a huge fan of the I state logo when it came out, but it has grown on me. I like the way you break it down into 3 clear simple concepts for the logo styles.

the new Alumni building some cool ISU history stuff in it, would there be room to expand things there? Could one of the newly refurbished buildings on campus be used for a museum? One thing I do worry about is the losing of green space on Campus, they have done a great job so far of maintaining it but when you walk on campus it is amazing where they have tucked buildings in and made them seem like they fit, but there is only room for so many.

Well once again thanks Josh for giving fans a lot to think about.

An Iowa State University Museum - Brilliant!

You are correct, green space would be an issue. How about putting it up at the former site of Knapp-Storms residence halls? I think there is a building there right now used by dining services, but maybe that could be removed without too much disruption.

Seriously, of all of Kagavi's ideas, I think this one holds the most potential. If done right, the museum could generate tons of traffic/attention - not just alumni either. A combination of rotating and permanent displays, free admission to students of Iowa schools, interactive exhibits, etc. It could be a real destination spot.

What are the latest innovations in virtual reality?
Want to learn about George Washington Carver's time at ISU?
What's it like to run through the tunnel onto Jack Trice?
What was ISU's role in making the atomic bomb?
Want to see how a real tornado is formed?
How about watching the very first computer in action?

Think about the possibilities! It would be a educational/historical/marketing center for everything Iowa State.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
attachment.php

What about if instead of a simple chevron through the middle of the jersey, you did a 2 colored jersey? Take where you have the chevron and below and make it one color and then the area above it a different color? Could someone do a mock up of that and see how it looks?

Something like this but with the chevron pointing up and in ISU colors:
nike-soccer-team-jerseys-nike-womens-victory-ii-replica-soccer-jersey-orange-black-xl

Last edited:

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Don't mess with the ISU logo. Branding is something that takes years to develop. After 10 years, we are just now beginning to see the results. How often have you seen successful major programs change logos? (Almost never.)

Good lord- did you even read the thread?? Most are in favor of keeping block I-STATE as primary logo; we want to update the secondary logos.

BRING BACK YELLOW HELMETS. And have a white one. "Gold Chrome." Enjoy multiple looks like the rest of modern college football.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
What about if instead of a simple chevron through the middle of the jersey, you did a 2 colored jersey? Take where you have the chevron and below and make it one color and then the area above it a different color? Could someone do a mock up of that and see how it looks?

Something like this but with the chevron pointing up and in ISU colors:

I was thinking along the same lines. Cardinal upper, gold lower, cardinal pants, cardinal helmet.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
One thing I do like a lot with the I-State logo is that it looks pretty good on TV. I think it is quite recognizable there and a major improvement in that department over the blue swirly bird fiasco.

And I have zero worries about confusion with Indiana, Illinois, or Idaho States. Iowa State is the only I-State with Power 5 conference athletics. Iowa State is the ONLY I-State.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The chevron stripe looks like a rip off of Northwesterns stripe they added a couple years back.

I'd rather go witha form of these. The Trice stripes on the pants. Add them to sleeves?

CVFsqPWVEAItBbo.jpg

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Everyone, thanks for the thoughts, both the good and bad.

As others have mentioned, it's actually about ADDING the missing Cyclone. The I-STATE stays as the primary school logo. Cy stays as the mascot logo. Also, speaking of successful major programs changing logos, today USC just changed/updated their Trojan head nickname logo and their font and more. So if elite teams and non-elite teams are constantly refining their brands, where does that leave ISU? No one wants a complete overhaul, just a continued evolution of the amazing work of Pollard and co.

attachment.php

I got ya. I'll probably Tweet some variations next week... maybe post here too.

The chevron stripe looks like a rip off of Northwesterns stripe they added a couple years back.

I'd rather go witha form of these. The Trice stripes on the pants. Add them to sleeves?

The only problem branding wise is that you are way too close to Adidas 3-stripe territory and no non-Adidas brand would go in that direction.

Also, the Northwestern stripe is known as just that. Imagine if ISU had a specific design element that they could brand and own. Trice Chevron. The chevron look is UNIQUE for college football. Is it everyone's cup of tea? Probably not, but the thought represents a chance for ISU to finally be original and unique.

Attachments

• CgGx57-UkAA4jIT.jpg
    CgGx57-UkAA4jIT.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 379

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Count me in the group that loves the old tornado/cyclone logo. I wish it would make a comeback. As for the unis, I think they look sharp.

any logo like this that reminds us of the Criner/Walden regimes--should be eliminated forever

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN
any logo like this that reminds us of the Criner/Walden regimes--should be eliminated forever

No offense but this is a pretty tired argument. ISU has been historically terrible in football regardless of the coach, not to mention that Criner's era ended 30 years ago and Walden's era ended 20 years ago. Most of the players weren't even born.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Red helmet fans:

There are tons of red helmets in football. Very few yellow-gold. I'm tired of looking like USC.

There are also a ton of red jerseys in college football, but they don't all look like USC. We need to have the jerseys changed to not look like USC, it has nothing to do with the helmets.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron