CPR needs to go

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
Tip #1: When accused of drinking, NEVER admit to being sober. That will instantly rob you of any plausible deniability. You never know when that might come in handy.

Tip #2: CPR is going no where, so you may just want to deal with it. In case you weren't at the game today, a packed and crazed stadium full of people not expecting to lose is the next level. Welcome to it. Dan McCarney wasn't let go because he wasn't winning, he was let go because the stadium attendance had flattened (even though longitudinally, McCarney's attendance had been a big improvement over the program's history before his arrival. The fact is, attendance had gone flat, and Pollard had a vision for something bigger. That vision is what he's got now under CPR.)

You want the facts and you want the numbers? College football is not about winning. It is about money. If a college has to make a choice between the money and the winning, it will take the money every time.

And when it comes to money, you can't argue with CPR's scoreboard. A packed stadium and happy donors? That's what CPR has in spades.

So if you want CPR gone, I recommend you do one of two things - or better yet, do both. First, start a campaign to convince about 10,000 fewer fans to show up to games for the rest of the season. Then, show up with a $5 million gift, contingent on CPR's removal, and make sure you hobnob with other distinguished alumni to ensure that they do not implement a counteroffer. ISU is in a very unique position right now: increasing attendance and gifts despite a losing streak. It is an anomaly, but you want to bring the facts into it? Those are the facts of college football. Winning is often the window dressing that comes with that sort of a bottom line, but not always. If you think Pollard is anywhere close to ditching CPR after the hard lessons learned following Chizique the Magnificent, you really need the one-two punch against the bottom line.

Then, and only then, are you going to have the credibility to give Jim Tressel a call to bring him in to ruin our program in the manner that you seek.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Ticket sales were down this year, but part of that was due to the schedule. Another year like last season, which is what we are looking at, and we could see a 10% drop in sales from the peak last yea, even with the schedule and SEZ. Perhaps even 15% by 2016 if 2015 is another losing season, which it likely will be.

Last edited:

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Tip #1: When accused of drinking, NEVER admit to being sober. That will instantly rob you of any plausible deniability. You never know when that might come in handy.

Tip #2: CPR is going no where, so you may just want to deal with it. In case you weren't at the game today, a packed and crazed stadium full of people not expecting to lose is the next level. Welcome to it. Dan McCarney wasn't let go because he wasn't winning, he was let go because the stadium attendance had flattened (even though longitudinally, McCarney's attendance had been a big improvement over the program's history before his arrival. The fact is, attendance had gone flat, and Pollard had a vision for something bigger. That vision is what he's got now under CPR.)

You want the facts and you want the numbers? College football is not about winning. It is about money. If a college has to make a choice between the money and the winning, it will take the money every time.

And when it comes to money, you can't argue with CPR's scoreboard. A packed stadium and happy donors? That's what CPR has in spades.

So if you want CPR gone, I recommend you do one of two things - or better yet, do both. First, start a campaign to convince about 10,000 fewer fans to show up to games for the rest of the season. Then, show up with a $5 million gift, contingent on CPR's removal, and make sure you hobnob with other distinguished alumni to ensure that they do not implement a counteroffer. ISU is in a very unique position right now: increasing attendance and gifts despite a losing streak. It is an anomaly, but you want to bring the facts into it? Those are the facts of college football. Winning is often the window dressing that comes with that sort of a bottom line, but not always. If you think Pollard is anywhere close to ditching CPR after the hard lessons learned following Chizique the Magnificent, you really need the one-two punch against the bottom line.

Then, and only then, are you going to have the credibility to give Jim Tressel a call to bring him in to ruin our program in the manner that you seek.

this is what I've been saying and have gotten creamed for it. Just letting ya know people aren't going to like that you are saying JP is more about money than winning.

ISU has 2 years left of CPR at the least with that dumb long contract (was never in favor of it, should have been 5 years extension). I do think JP can be proactive and get Sage onto an Iowa lower college program as an assistant coach or something (or tell Sage ISU won't consider you unless you get some experience first).

I do agree that he needs to get a JO type signing in here. Won't happen until CPR buyout gets smaller. Crazy idea, a guy I think could come here is Pelini from Nebraska. He's been getting more pressure to perform at Nebraska and might get canned if he doesn't perform to their unreal expectations.He has Iowa ties, decent coach, only problem is I doubt JP would like Pelini as a coach but it would have to be someone like that.

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
You are nuts if you think pelini walks away and ends up here.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
Ticket sales were down this year, but part of that was due to the schedule. Another year like last season, which is what we are looking at, and we could see a 10% drop in sales from the peak last yea, even with the schedule and SEZ. Perhaps even 15% by 2016 if 2015 is another losing season, which it likely will be.

Okay. Then definitely CPR is out the door.

In 2017.

But only if he wins nine games between now and then. I'm glad you can see the future so clearly, because heaven knows I can't. Just to give you an idea at how bad I am at predicting the future, this morning I had no idea that Iowa State would be in a dogfight with the 20th ranked team in the country after falling apart against NDSU the week before. Then again, I find that my ignorance of future events is what makes watching the game of football so enjoyable. I find it downright impossible to complain about the future when I can't possibly predict it.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
that's probably what people thought when JO to ISU first came out. Anything can happen.

Not anymore it can't. Conference-winning coaches in the Big Ten get paid a lot more than Iowa State will ever offer. ISU had a dead, dead, dead, basketball program and were able to throw what was comparably a lot of money. Michigan thought Orr was bluffing.

So, in order to get Pelini, you have to have a school that is capable of offering him more money than Nebraska is, and you have to be crazy enough to think that hiring a neurotic PR nightmare who got shelled in big games in the Big 12, and was able to beat CPR one out of two times by one point in OT is what's best for the program.

Sure he may be able to knock off McNeese State with 19 seconds to spare, but he got mauled by Iowa last year. We don't need to spend a lot of money just to lose to Kirk Ferentz 38-17 or whatever.

Stewski

Jul 3, 2014
Lawrence
It bothers me why people defend his coaching so much. Don't get me wrong, I like Rhoads. He's a local guy that's passionate about his team. He won a bowl game and had big wins, except those weren't his recruits. He can't win close games, and for some reason he's turned into kirk ferentz in the second half. A lot you say you are happy with mediacrocy, and I agree, I mean ISU isn't going to be a consistent 8+ plus win team. But what Rhoads has done the last couple of years isn't mediocre. No exuses, you cannot lose to FCS schools two years in a row. Especially when you are in a Power 5 conference, and I don't care how good those FCS schools are. I wish Rhoads could be the guy to take us to the next level, but he just isn't, so deal with it.
I hope people keep showing up and suppoting the clones and I still hope they win games. I'm not about rooting against him or firing him midseason, and I don't think firing him this offseason would be smart financially either. Let him finish a couple more years of his contract and move on. I hope he proves me wrong and wins 10 games next year, but the likes of that happening are about as good as if Hoiberg left for Kansas.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm baffled by the amount of complaining still. People just think we can throw money at some big name and he is going to come here and save our world. Wait we already tried that with Chizik. Anyone who says Rhoads can't coach is a FOOL. If you know so much better than him, why don't you get your resume into Jamie quick so he can be blown away by your credentials and buyout Paul's 5 million dollar contract and give you an offer!

WHINERS! That's all I see on this site anymore.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Can't close the deal against a ranked team at home with a near capacity crowd. Can't score in the 2nd half? And Mr Conservative in the 2nd half and down the stretch, playing not to lose. If we start 0-4, he needs to be put on the hot seat. If we start 0-6, Jamie needs to get rid of him and make Mangino interim until next season. Time to fire CPR and time to hire coach Jim Tressel.

Wasn't Jim Tressel pretty conservative too?

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
So let me get this straight...... OP accuses Rhoads of being too conservative, then wants ISU to hire the ONLY freaking coach in America who can hold a candle to boring ol Kirk Ferentz's conservatism???

When you have LOADS of NFL talent on OSU each year, you can play a really boring style of ball, and let the defense just beat some ***. That was pretty much Tressel in a nut shell , in case you never watched them closely. Yeah Pryor changed that style some late in his career at OSU, but Tressel was Ferentz....but with better players. Tressel never lost to Mac schools, or to a crappy Minnesota team like KF. Instead OSU "only" won by 10 or 14. That's the main difference why Iowa racks up those embarrassing loses. KF has a dried up shriveled sack between his legs, just like Tressel. I don't want that as ISU's coach.

At least Rhoads has a history of fake field goals, fake punts, and for the most part those work like 75% of the time if not more. Although there was far less trick plays last year for some reason.

Herman was a lame 3rd and short play-caller. So was Mess. Mangino was pretty lack-luster yesterday in the 2nd half...but give MM some time and I think we'll see some better option unveiled as the season progresses.

Also don't forget that MM unloaded quite a few chambers yesterday in terms of trickery just to get ISU those scores.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Coupla questions for the OP:

1) Have you achieved anything even close to what Rhoads has done?

2) Are you successful 100% of the time?

3) Then why don't you be quiet?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Haven't had a drink. Just stating the facts that unrealistic Iowa State football fans don't want to hear or cannot admit. Football fans are just "TOO PROUD" to admit that it's time for CPR to go. It's sad and unfortunate that fans will continue to support a coach who can't and won't ever bring Iowa State football to the next level. College athletics is about winning, period.

Smells like a troll. Go away. We improved a lot today. We will continue to improve. Campos did a great job for the now forgotten Quitter Gannon.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Last two posts were clearly from two fans who have unrealistic expectations for the football coaching staff and program. We need a big name coach who has been successful and knows how to win. College athletics are about winning and you two obviously would rather see Iowa State football have moral victories than actual prominence. Cyclone basketball will always be a better program and will thrive on winning, whereas, Iowa State football will be about going to tailgate, hanging out with family/friends, and expecting a mediocre team to lose. 62 days until basketball season. #Hoiballtime

Or maybe you're a pants pee-er who feels like they have to come on here and flagellate yourself every time you get frustrated. You have 45 posts in 3 years, and here's another of your gems:

If he wants to coach in the NBA, then he needs to go coach there. Making excuses doesn't help the fact that he has lost us all those close games on the road and if we win half of them, then we are...

In fact, that's just one post in another stupid thread you posted:

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165863

Do us all a favor and go back to your hole.

boyd

Feb 19, 2012
Can't close the deal against a ranked team at home with a near capacity crowd. Can't score in the 2nd half? And Mr Conservative in the 2nd half and down the stretch, playing not to lose. If we start 0-4, he needs to be put on the hot seat. If we start 0-6, Jamie needs to get rid of him and make Mangino interim until next season. Time to fire CPR and time to hire coach Jim Tressel.
POS.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Before the season, if somebody had told me we would have played a tough game against K-State like this, I wouldn't have been too upset. Yesterday's score was basically on par with CPR against KSU (last year was an outlier). If we beat Iowa, I'll forget about NDSU since 1-2 is about where I expected us to be through 3 games.

spelhome

Jan 19, 2012
Woodward, Iowa

This is a magnificent post. Applause, Applause. Bravo. :spinny:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Regardless of how anybody feels or how bad this season might go, I'd bet rhoads is back next year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron