Clones on a Roll Heading into the Phog

Jul 25, 2007
I'm a nomad.
I have to admit. Watching that game I could not believe some of the calls the ref were giving the Cyclones. AT's goaltend that they counted was just the one that stood out in my mind. There were about 4 or 5 other times though, that I thought the Clones were getting the better end of the deal. I couldn't believe that Sutton wasn't going nuts on the sidelines.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I disagree about it "working" against OSU. We were up by 9 before Rahshon's technical and after Greg's - the lead was cut to 4. Our team/staff got in a funk and allowed themselves to be distracted by the officials. OSU quickly got back in the game and at one point, had a 10 point lead.

We were very fortunate to get that back in control, especially with Rahshon out during our run (were down 9 when he went out).

I do think a technical foul on a coach is not always a bad thing. However, on Saturday - it certainly did not help the team. Got the fans fired up - but we were already there with how the game started - aka - ISU playing well.

Those 2 technicals resulted in 4 points, which didn't come close to putting us out of the game.

As I eluded to earlier, it's not that simple. It woke OSU up (and got us out of our game) and they went on a run as a direct result of that.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2006
He may just believe what he wrote, you never know. But, IMO he is writing for the fun of it trying to get some laughs, and bring cyclone fans together.

Thats fine. I have no problem with that. I was just asking a question as to where we get 12 wins. If he gives them to me, great. If he says he was just kidding, thats fine to. I loved his blog, that was my only question for him.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
We poke fun at homer articles/blogs/posts from rival fans. I'll be consistent and do the same with ones from our own too. I'm crazy like that.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Normally I agree with a T being able to change the game... In this case though, that wasn't the purpose. I think Greg was seriously frustrated with the way the refs were taking the game away and I applaud him for speaking up about it, it certainly got the crowd in it... The 'turning point' of the game came when we slapped on the box and one d and forced OSU into a turnover...

clonez

Sep 14, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
We poke fun at homer articles/blogs/posts from rival fans. I'll be consistent and do the same with ones from our own too. I'm crazy like that.

But that doesn't make you a true cyclone! :wink: I just go into reading it knowing that he is a funny person and not always serious.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
We were up 11-5 when Clark got his T.

I was wrong...but neither of us were correct. We were up 11-6 at that point. Cut to 11-8 on the foul shots. A basket for OSU and a technical on Greg gave OSU a one point lead. Within a few minutes, OSU stretched it to 6...with a lead of 10 about 7 minutes after that.

As a team so far not know for it's ability to come back from something like that, those technical fouls certainly could have been the key to knocking us out of that game. Fortunately we closed the first half with some nifty defensive play and Garrett, Wes and Craig made some big baskets for us.

The nine points I got was when Rahshon went out - we were down by 8 or 9 at that point.

Last edited:

clonez

Sep 14, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Either way you look at it, at the time the technicals drew them closer, but the crowd got pumped up for the rest of the game, which got the players flowing. So you both can be right.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I am going to puke if they successfully run a lob play the first time down the court, seems like they do that to us every time. As far as the outcome of the game, I just want to see us really compete hard....let KU know its going to take a good effort for them to win, and they can't just run us off the court.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Either way you look at it, at the time the technicals drew them closer, but the crowd got pumped up for the rest of the game, which got the players flowing. So you both can be right.

No. There can only be one.

highlander.jpg

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Who here took it at face value?!?! I am just asking the guy where he gets 12 wins. I think it's impossible but wouldn't mind hearing where the wins come from by tiger

Sorry man, I wasn't avoiding your question...just stepped out for lunch and I just got back. To answer your question, when I wrote my Big 12 prediction column
( Juice blogs » Blog Archive » Mock Big 12 Conference Basketball Preview ) and had us at 12-4, I was completely serious with the rest of my Big 12 predictions on places, but our 12-4 was pretty much an "everything goes right" scenario. In that 12-4, I had us losing at Kansas, at K-State, at Colorado, and at Oklahoma.

Most of the time the stuff I write is for some information and mostly entertainment, at least the predictions part of it. I have joked before about never picking us to lose an individual game, but actually practice what I preach as well, twice losing $100 bets on us to win the Big 12 in the seasons immediately following the back-to-back conference titles.

I wasn't meaning for anybody to rush out and drop their rent check on us to win the big 12, I just like throwing out hypothetical stuff and occasionally running wild with it :yes:

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
How mature of you, no chips on your shoulders are there? :rolleyes:

I wonder if the thought through his head was more along the lines of "oh crap, a psycotic fan who can't let go"

Why does Mac get a free pass for his comment, regardless of if he swore or not? That is not a specific requirement for a technical. Mac could have chose his words better and easily avoided it, he's been coaching too long not to know where the line is.

Of course I had a chip on my shoulder, I was a diehard fan of the team that just lost and also a college kid. I guess I would expect a ref in his position (D1 major conference games nightly) to have heard much worse and to be able to take it in stride.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Of course I had a chip on my shoulder, I was a diehard fan of the team that just lost and also a college kid. I guess I would expect a ref in his position (D1 major conference games nightly) to have heard much worse and to be able to take it in stride.
Heard much worse? Definitely. Able to take it in stride? Not O'Neill, one of the pettiest officials in the history of the game (possibly only behind Curtis Shaw).

Nov 22, 2006
Sorry man, I wasn't avoiding your question...just stepped out for lunch and I just got back. To answer your question, when I wrote my Big 12 prediction column
( Juice blogs » Blog Archive » Mock Big 12 Conference Basketball Preview ) and had us at 12-4, I was completely serious with the rest of my Big 12 predictions on places, but our 12-4 was pretty much an "everything goes right" scenario. In that 12-4, I had us losing at Kansas, at K-State, at Colorado, and at Oklahoma.

Most of the time the stuff I write is for some information and mostly entertainment, at least the predictions part of it. I have joked before about never picking us to lose an individual game, but actually practice what I preach as well, twice losing $100 bets on us to win the Big 12 in the seasons immediately following the back-to-back conference titles.

I wasn't meaning for anybody to rush out and drop their rent check on us to win the big 12, I just like throwing out hypothetical stuff and occasionally running wild with it :yes:

No need to apologize about grabbing some food. Today is one of the few days in which I don't have to be at work.

I hope Hilton magic comes back and stays all year long. If that happens, I could see us getting 10 wins but I still don't see that. If we do get 12 wins however, we will have to win @ Colorado IMO

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
We're one really good point guard away from a 12-4 or 13-3 type season.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale

Key words "college kid." I know that I was a little hotter under the collar when I was in college as well, it is just kind of an exscuse to act that way..or at least I thought so. I have done my share of ref-abusing as well, I really don't like them. Sure their job is hard but that is their JOB.

(no offense to anyone on here who might be one, of course.)

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
So you are condemning coach for getting a T?! Please tell me I misunderstood your post.

What is it his first or second T as a Cyclone? Orr, Floyd, and LE would have had 5 more than that by now. All for crossing the line. They know where the line is, but chose to go past it to make a point, fire up the crowd, team, etc.

No, no, no ... he can get all the T's he wants as far as I'm concerned. He can coach however he would like.

I was commenting on the preception that he somehow did not "deserve" the technical because he didn't use vulgarity (from some other thread - the post game on I think).

I agree with you comment that he full well knew the T was coming as he said it.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Key words "college kid." I know that I was a little hotter under the collar when I was in college as well, it is just kind of an exscuse to act that way..or at least I thought so. I have done my share of ref-abusing as well, I really don't like them. Sure their job is hard but that is their JOB.

(no offense to anyone on here who might be one, of course.)

Yeah there were a few of those road trips in college that we did stuff like that that we wouldn't ever do today (including the Nebraska handcuffing 22 :yes:).

However, we should all be so lucky as to pull in close to a grand for 2 hours of "work" like O'Neil :wink: