Hawk Fans

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
wait does t shirt fan mean they are just fans and never went to that school cuz if so then i guess i am a t shirt fan

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
wait does t shirt fan mean they are just fans and never went to that school cuz if so then i guess i am a t shirt fan

T-shirt fans pick up their t-shirt on the way to the game since they don't have a shirt at home. Typically they're also ******* annoying and obnoxious, too.

SamsB

Oct 7, 2008
T-shirt fans pick up their t-shirt on the way to the game since they don't have a shirt at home. Typically they're also ******* annoying and obnoxious, too.
Actually, they don't go to any games or contribute to the hawk AD in any way. They just put on a tshirt, belly up to the bar, and start making fun of ISU, while living on their 1 year at DMACC. Exact description of a tavern hawk/tshirt fan - and there are thousands of them. Dirty, dirty hawks.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
When did Germany start a war with the USA? I believe Japan was the one who brought the USA into the war. That guy is a moron.

I believe the Germans did bomb Pearl Harbor

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI]Animal House: Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor - YouTube[/ame]

Reactions: bostrem00

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I'll never understand people who cheer for another school's team over their own Alma Mater. My brother is currently going to ISU, but unfortunately cheers for Iowa when the two schools play each other.

My argument is always "what the 'heck' did that school ever do for you other than provide a team to cheer for and t-shirts to buy? Your Alma Mater is the organization that you should cheer for simply because its the entity that actually educates you, thus putting you in a better position for your career and making you a more rounded person. To do otherwise is just disloyal."... That, and nobody likes a t-shirt fan except for other t-shirt fans.

And yet again, this argument crops up.

If every student were getting their education for free, THEN I would say that students owe their school the courtesy of rooting for their school's teams.

But since we're all paying upwards of twenty grand a year, I'd say they are already very well compensated for the services they're providing us. I don't owe the University of Iowa athletic teams my allegiance just because I go to school here. I owe the athletic department absolutely nothing.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
some people have been fans of a certain team their whole life (up till their 18 or whatever) and then decide to go to a school. I don't think they should change their favorite team just because its not where they went to school...

I did. Thank God.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Some of them seem alright, but most of them are obnoxious but the same is probably with every fanbase.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
some people have been fans of a certain team their whole life (up till their 18 or whatever) and then decide to go to a school. I don't think they should change their favorite team just because its not where they went to school...

I couldn't disagree more. I grew up a Hawk fan and went to ISU. Now I'm a Hawk hater and can't fathom how it could go differently.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
some people have been fans of a certain team their whole life (up till their 18 or whatever) and then decide to go to a school. I don't think they should have to change their favorite team just because its not where they went to school...

Fixed. If somebody wants to change teams, more power to them. But they shouldn't be obligated to do so.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I couldn't disagree more. I grew up a Hawk fan and went to ISU. Now I'm a Hawk hater and can't fathom how it could go differently.

I should change a lifelong loyalty because ISU has a better vet or ag or design program and that's where I want to study? Doesn't make much sense to me. I'd cheer for ISU as well, and I wouldn't be wearing Hawkeye gear around campus, but if I was a lifelong Iowa fan who chose to attend ISU because they had the better program in my field, I'd still cheer for Iowa when they played. To each his own I guess.

Krug

Sep 4, 2010
Ankeny
Actually, they don't go to any games or contribute to the hawk AD in any way. They just put on a tshirt, belly up to the bar, and start making fun of ISU, while living on their 1 year at DMACC. Exact description of a tavern hawk/tshirt fan - and there are thousands of them. Dirty, dirty hawks.

Hey look its this old, tired out argument.. Maybe ISU should get a few more "t-shirt" fans and they wouldnt need free hotdog days to draw in fans.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Hey look its this old, tired out argument.. Maybe ISU should get a few more "t-shirt" fans and they wouldnt need free hotdog days to draw in fans.

Hey, I'd watch it with that one. It's not like we've done that at Carver several times in the past 3 years......oh wait.

BasedClone

Jun 14, 2011
The problem with both fan-bases is that there are too many fans who obsess over the sport. Some, especially my hawk friends literally let the sport control whether they've personally had a good year or not. Not slamming ISU-Iowa, there are way more worse rivalries in the sporting world that would make ISU-Iowa look like friendly neighbors.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I'm just saddened that ISU admits students that are dumb enough to use that analogy.

jwrussel

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I grew up as a big cyclone fan. As a kid all I did was talk about Iowa State. Frankly, being a cyclone fan was and still remains a part of my identity. But some how just because I chose to go to school at the University of Iowa means I have to abandon my rather deep loyalties to the cyclones?

As I have explained to numerous of my hawkeye friends, this is really idiotic. I remain a huge, diehard, season ticket holder fan, who can't wait to introduce my 3 month old son to cyclone football (to the extent that is possible). I am proud of my U of I education, but it hasn't changed who I cheer for when Iowa State plays Iowa. The only thing that has really changed is I have gone from hating Iowa and rooting for whoever they are playing to actually cheering for Iowa when they are not playing the Cyclones.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
Guy mentioned in OP is just stupid. It's more of a reflection on the failures of our school system than a Hawk vs Clone fan though...

Do I like ISU students being Hawk fans? No. But it's their right to do so. They're paying tuition.

Reactions: Hawkeye11en1

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Guy mentioned in OP is just stupid. It's more of a reflection on the failures of our school system than a Hawk vs Clone fan though...

Do I like ISU students being Hawk fans? No. But it's their right to do so. They're paying tuition.

Winning.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I hear you here buddy, I grew up in Eastern Iowa and thats Hawk country, I didnt know any better. I started Vet School in 2000, we happened to go 9-3 and I was hooked. I think Iowa went 1-10 that year. The transition was quick and I never looked back. ISU could go 0-12 for the next 100 years and I would still be a Cyclone. Go State