A Matt Leo tidbit...

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Do they have to apply for a medical redshirt since he played in the early games?

Or did the rules around redshirts change?

SiouxCityCyclone

Nov 10, 2016
Depending on sports, isn't it as long as they haven't competed in 20-30% of the season? The criteria for redshirting seems like they change often and there is some gray areas.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Do they have to apply for a medical redshirt since he played in the early games?

Or did the rules around redshirts change?

Medical redshirts are clearly ruled. Basically, if he didn't play past the first 3 games, he gets one. The rule is so bastardized as far as whether someone was actually injured or not, it's not even funny.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Medical redshirts are clearly ruled. Basically, if he didn't play past the first 3 games, he gets one. The rule is so bastardized as far as whether someone was actually injured or not, it's not even funny.

I wasn't sure exactly how it worked. Could they basically say he had a hangnail and would get one?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I wasn't sure exactly how it worked. Could they basically say he had a hangnail and would get one?

Yeah. I think a couple years ago MSU had a guy win scout team POY and he not only got the medical, he got a sixth year.

• Creative
Reactions: VeloClone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I guess that is a nice luxury to have if he is not ready to contribute and we somehow -- miraculously given our history -- do not need him this year.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
I thought you could only get a medical redshirt if you had already used your regular redshirt. And if he played even one snap, he can't use a regular redshirt. So I'm not sure how this could work out to get him two more seasons.

• Funny
Reactions: isu2014

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I thought you could only get a medical redshirt if you had already used your regular redshirt. And if he played even one snap, he can't use a regular redshirt. So I'm not sure how this could work out to get him two more seasons.
They are technically different. For example Naz got a medical redshirt, and it was basically automatic since he never used his regular redshirt.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This whole redshirt thing just gets more confusing all the time. I am assuming, since the coaches are talking to CW about doing it, that there is a pretty clear, clean way to make it happen even though he has played a few snaps. It would be great to give him another year to play, as things look to be pretty well under control at this point in terms of DL.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This whole redshirt thing just gets more confusing all the time. I am assuming, since the coaches are talking to CW about doing it, that there is a pretty clear, clean way to make it happen even though he has played a few snaps. It would be great to give him another year to play, as things look to be pretty well under control at this point in terms of DL.

It's very clear in terms of being able to medically redshirt if you have a redshirt available. They are doing the same thing Prohm did with Naz. Try them out, then decide before game 4 (30% mark) and if it's more useful to let them sit, do that. I don't even know that there's much in the way of documentation. I just know I've never seen one denied.

The extra year of eligibility is where things get fishy and decisions don't make sense.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How much has Leo played? About the only time I noticed him was at Akron when they would help him put on a jersey overlay with a different number for special teams.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Sounds good. Give him another offseason in the program and hope he becomes that stud pass rusher that really transforms a defense into something special.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
So I wonder if they might be looking at the same thing with Johnnie Lang. He hasn't played since Akron.

• Agree
Reactions: BBHMagic

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
That was my thought, too. I think he'll be 27 on senior day. There will be freshman on other teams in awe of a grown man running at them!

Pretty sure there are several guys on BYU that are in their mid 20's because a lot of them go one year and then go on a multi-year mission. Another year is probably in his best interest with his background as a rugby player

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe