So how has the defensive line looked in camp?

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
IMO, this team has a real shot at 6-7 wins if the defensive line is a solid unit, but with all the new bodies I don't expect them to be ready go to start the season. Campbell talked about in a podcast about having a lot more bodies but I'm afraid thats coach speak. Iowa's OL made mince meat out of the defensive line last year with Desmond Tucker and Justin Thomas and am worried about that happening again.

I tend to think the defensive line being new to start is why ISU gets 4-5 wins but is playing like a 7 win team in games at the end of the season. If I'm wrong at the defensive line is ready from the start they have a real shot at 6-7 wins.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I'm not sure I'd put this all on the D-line. However, the front 7 and run defense will really decide how good this team will be IMO. If we can stop the run much better than last year then I would definitely bet the over 5.5 wins. That's a big if right now.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBlitz

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
IMO, this team has a real shot at 6-7 wins if the defensive line is a solid unit, but with all the new bodies I don't expect them to be ready go to start the season. Campbell talked about in a podcast about having a lot more bodies but I'm afraid thats coach speak. Iowa's OL made mince meat out of the defensive line last year with Desmond Tucker and Justin Thomas and am worried about that happening again.

I tend to think the defensive line being new to start is why ISU gets 4-5 wins but is playing like a 7 win team in games at the end of the season. If I'm wrong at the defensive line is ready from the start they have a real shot at 6-7 wins.
I have buddy who's on UNIs o line. He told me Tucker wasn't that impressive. Said he went hard for about two plays and then he was exhausted. Didn't appear to be too impressed to Thomas either. Said when he came in he was kind of shocked by his size, but didn't have much to say about his skill.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I'm not sure I'd put this all on the D-line. However, the front 7 and run defense will really decide how good this team will be IMO. If we can stop the run much better than last year then I would definitely bet the over 5.5 wins. That's a big if right now.

I just think the rest of the team is solid enough to get 6 wins. I'll admit Lanning in his 1st year at linebacker is a little concerning but that is only because he has played the position for one year(if he would have started at that position I'm sure he would be real solid).

I think for this defensive line to be good, we have to get real contributions from at least 2 of JUCO defensive lineman. Ray Lima is probably one, but we probably need Leo or Tongamoa to also start or at least play a lot of meaningful snaps and preferably both at least play a lot of meaningful snaps. I realize Jaquan Bailey will be important and he had a fair amount of interest from schools coming out of college. I also don't know how much Jamahl Johnson has improved, I would just count on the JUCO DT's being more ready physically to play.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
IMO they will be improved if for no other reason than work ethic. They are bigger and stronger, all the locker room issues of the past appear to be gone.

This is as unified of a team as we've seen in quite some time. the culture most certainly has changed. There is no way they aren't improved.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Even if the Jucos don't step up until late season, I like J,D. Waggoner's experience, and his knack for rushing the passer. I expect to also see a heavy dose of 5th year senior Vernel Trent. I think the coaching staffs trust him in their. Don't overlook Jamahl Johnson, who got a lot of valuable snaps as a freshman. Maybe not a verbal leader, but the size, quickness, and intensity you need on the inside. Eyioma Uwaziuike is a DE with great size. In past seasons, under Wally, we might have seen him moved inside, but this staff doesn't seem to think that way. Ray Lima, so I understand is a great locker room guy, and if he can spell Trent for some long stretches, all the better. And If Matt Leo earns some time at DE, this D-line could be downright intimidating.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Even if the Jucos don't step up until late season, I like J,D. Waggoner's experience, and his knack for rushing the passer. I expect to also see a heavy dose of 5th year senior Vernel Trent. I think the coaching staffs trust him in their. Don't overlook Jamahl Johnson, who got a lot of valuable snaps as a freshman. Maybe not a verbal leader, but the size, quickness, and intensity you need on the inside. Eyioma Uwaziuike is a DE with great size. In past seasons, under Wally, we might have seen him moved inside, but this staff doesn't seem to think that way. Ray Lima, so I understand is a great locker room guy, and if he can spell Trent for some long stretches, all the better. And If Matt Leo earns some time at DE, this D-line could be downright intimidating.

Pretty sure Uwazurike got moved inside

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
This is true, also from coaching interviews during summer camp Leo is actually at D-end, the inside depth has been Trent, Lima, j. Johnson, Uwazurike and Josh Bailey...

UNI OL dominated our DL last year and they return everyone from last year plus a guy that had to sit out due to injury last year who is several year starter.. It will be a very very good test to see exactly where our front 7 on D is because UNI OL is experienced and good.

Dunne the QB is not a runner at all but he can sling the FBall as evidence by UNI last 4 games last year. Their WR's are good for FCS.

They will be weaker on Dline and secondary but have stud LB in Farley. If we are going to win this game and comfortably then we have to run the fball and well.

I'm curious to see how our front 7 on D performs vs UNI...It is year 2 and everyone knows the system and there are no first game of coaching staff nightmare playing like last year.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
UNI OL dominated our DL last year and they return everyone from last year plus a guy that had to sit out due to injury last year who is several year starter.. It will be a very very good test to see exactly where our front 7 on D is because UNI OL is experienced and good.

Dunne the QB is not a runner at all but he can sling the FBall as evidence by UNI last 4 games last year. Their WR's are good for FCS.

They will be weaker on Dline and secondary but have stud LB in Farley. If we are going to win this game and comfortably then we have to run the fball and well.

I'm curious to see how our front 7 on D performs vs UNI...It is year 2 and everyone knows the system and there are no first game of coaching staff nightmare playing like last year.
It appears that UNI lost two starting OL from last year actually.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Let me ease your mind. Matt Leo and Eyomi Uwazurike are both 6'7'' 270+ lbs. Ray Lima is 305. Johson is 305. We have some beef now. Just not experienced. I think they will have them ready to go. All we really need to do is fill proper gaps, and take pressure off the linebackers. First two games are running oriented teams, so it's a lot more simple than worrying about multiple blitz packages and stunts.

Take it for what its worth.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Lima starts alongside Trent. If Lima isn't our best inteior DL, we're in trouble again.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

UNI beat us with a scrambling QB who accounted for 128 of their yards. UNI did not dominate iSu in any part of the game last year.That UNI team wasn't that great last year. They were a middle of the pack rushing offense in the MVC and 49th in FCS and a middle of the pack MVC team. 5-6 over all and 4-4 in conference. And the MVC had a down year as far as I am concerned. They lost their best OL in Rathje and also lost Hanson. They return,Calhart, Twait and Appleman and get Sweeney back from injury who was okay but not great at RT the previous year. Sweeney was a one year starter and if I remember correctly, started at LT against iSu in 2015 and then got moved to RT because he had a pretty rough game.

The only dominating that happened was iSu dominating the idiot bonehead play category. First game, new staff, new schemes, and it looked like the first practice. As absolutely horrible as iSu played last year...UNI barely won.

For crying out loud...we had a WR run into a RB, two lost fumbles, 9 penalties...There was absolutely nothing to be taken away from thatgame

Edit: Completely forgot the INT. So in the last 5:00 minutes of the game, iSu turned the ball over twice. Once giving UNI a short field for the go ahead score and another time in UNI territory.

Man we played AWFUL

Last edited:

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Let me ease your mind. Matt Leo and Eyomi Uwazurike are both 6'7'' 270+ lbs. Ray Lima is 305. Johson is 305. We have some beef now. Just not experienced. I think they will have them ready to go. All we really need to do is fill proper gaps, and take pressure off the linebackers. First two games are running oriented teams, so it's a lot more simple than worrying about multiple blitz packages and stunts.

Take it for what its worth.
Very key to the change we need from last year to this year.... We need DT that will hold the line, I loved Tucker, but there were points that I think the defense would have been better if we had someone just doing their job, instead of making a huge play....

Reactions: tazclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Very key to the change we need from last year to this year.... We need DT that will hold the line, I loved Tucker, but there were points that I think the defense would have been better if we had someone just doing their job, instead of making a huge play....
You mean swim move and run until you puke isn't good against counters, and read options? Huh, who would have thought?

Help Support Us

Become a patron