We Will Collective contributor numbers

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
How many national titles has Duke won in basketball? How relevant are they right now on the realignment stage, next to none? They may watch their entire conference go up in flames and they can do next to nothing about it. They just as of recently started caring about football. They may be the next Washington State/Oregon State in the next year. But hey hold those basketball titles real close.
Yeah, then they just join the Big East in hoops and upgrade their hoops conference. They aren’t WSU/OSU. Just stop.

Any of the bigger b-ball brands that get left out of a major realignment either join the Big East or have a western half of the country version of the Big East focused on hoops.

There’s a lot more media money for football as a whole. But estimates are media deal values are about 75/25 football broadly in the industry. When you consider SEC and Big 10 are the biggest pots of money by a mile and are probably like 95/5 and 90/10, basketball plays a lot bigger role in media value in the ACC and Big 12 than people realize.

I think there's a 5 year window or so where teams like ISU stay all in on football investment. If ISU can establish itself as a consistent competitor to win the conference, and the conference does OK in the playoff, then you forge ahead.

If ISU settles in as 4th or worse team in the league and the Big 12 gets one team in the playoff that gets blown out every year, then sorry, it's time for ISU and probably the league as a whole to just go all in on hoops. Dumping way more money to make a middling football program a little less middling doesn't do a single thing. Programs like TCU, Utah, Okie State, Baylor, Boise St., etc. had some really great stretches that would take the greatest 5 year stretch of ISU football history to come close to matching. Yet, those teams are not in some great realignment position either.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah, then they just join the Big East in hoops and upgrade their hoops conference. They aren’t WSU/OSU. Just stop.

Any of the bigger b-ball brands that get left out of a major realignment either join the Big East or have a western half of the country version of the Big East focused on hoops.

There’s a lot more media money for football as a whole. But estimates are media deal values are about 75/25 football broadly in the industry. When you consider SEC and Big 10 are the biggest pots of money by a mile and are probably like 95/5 and 90/10, basketball plays a lot bigger role in media value in the ACC and Big 12 than people realize.

I think there's a 5 year window or so where teams like ISU stay all in on football investment. If ISU can establish itself as a consistent competitor to win the conference, and the conference does OK in the playoff, then you forge ahead.

If ISU settles in as 4th or worse team in the league and the Big 12 gets one team in the playoff that gets blown out every year, then sorry, it's time for ISU and probably the league as a whole to just go all in on hoops. Dumping way more money to make a middling football program a little less middling doesn't do a single thing. Programs like TCU, Utah, Okie State, Baylor, Boise St., etc. had some really great stretches that would take the greatest 5 year stretch of ISU football history to come close to matching. Yet, those teams are not in some great realignment position either.

You’re never going to get people to understand that. The little brother syndrome is just too ingrained. They can’t picture us doing our own thing and carving our own uniques path, it’s always about being Iowa football.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

I just watched this from the Iowa Collective guy. Long but interesting.

They put 80% into football, and 10% each into MBB and WBB. Also of note is that of all of their season football ticket holders only a little more than 400 are monthly giving to the collective. Pretty wild to my mind. I'd like @brentblum to comment if he can.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Was surprised to hear that K State got their basketball NIL collective to 3 million, to keep Tang-a-lang. Blum just said it on the CF podcast. That’s roughly 3x ours

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Was surprised to hear that K State got their basketball NIL collective to 3 million, to keep Tang-a-lang. Blum just said it on the CF podcast. That’s roughly 3x ours
Them and WVU have surprisingly decent NILs. You wouldn't assume either to be much different from us, but they are.

I am proud of what Blum is doing though, a goal of doubling our amount in the next year "should" be attainable.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

They put 80% into football, and 10% each into MBB and WBB. Also of note is that of all of their season football ticket holders only a little more than 400 are monthly giving to the collective. Pretty wild to my mind. I'd like @brentblum to comment if he can.

I think that's a good example that demonstrates the challenge that ADs in the Big 12 and ACC have. As a member of the Big 10, Iowa's media dollars probably come from about 90% football in the league. Then their collective distributions are sort of close at 80%. I don't know how their AD donations are driven, but I suspect it is overwhelmingly driven by football.

ISU and the Big 12 simply aren't like that. I bet the league's media dollars are way more skewed to hoops on the other side of that industry estimated average of 25%. But I'm sure to have significant major roster impact, you have to dump a high proportion of collective money to football just based on the sheer number of players and the high percentage of dollars all the competitors are throwing at football.

As I said before, I still think there's a window in the new Big 12 that ISU should still be heavily involved in investing in football where with the new playoff model there may be a way to get good return on that money and maybe set up for the next round of realignment IF it's large and inclusive beyond say 40 teams.

But there's also a distinct possibility that we and (most of, if not all of) the rest of the Big 12 find we're in this no-man's land of shoveling money at football in an exercise in futility in trying to keep up with the SEC and Big 10, diluting our NIL money while the Big East and potentially ACC are concentrating all of theirs at basketball.

I love ISU football. If there was any sports team I follow that I want more than any other to succeed, it's ISU football. But the battle to even be nationally relevant and competitive is incredibly steep. And there's a big basketball opportunity cost to try to do the near-impossible in football.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think that's a good example that demonstrates the challenge that ADs in the Big 12 and ACC have. As a member of the Big 10, Iowa's media dollars probably come from about 90% football in the league. Then their collective distributions are sort of close at 80%. I don't know how their AD donations are driven, but I suspect it is overwhelmingly driven by football.

ISU and the Big 12 simply aren't like that. I bet the league's media dollars are way more skewed to hoops on the other side of that industry estimated average of 25%. But I'm sure to have significant major roster impact, you have to dump a high proportion of collective money to football just based on the sheer number of players and the high percentage of dollars all the competitors are throwing at football.

As I said before, I still think there's a window in the new Big 12 that ISU should still be heavily involved in investing in football where with the new playoff model there may be a way to get good return on that money and maybe set up for the next round of realignment IF it's large and inclusive beyond say 40 teams.

But there's also a distinct possibility that we and (most of, if not all of) the rest of the Big 12 find we're in this no-man's land of shoveling money at football in an exercise in futility in trying to keep up with the SEC and Big 10, diluting our NIL money while the Big East and potentially ACC are concentrating all of theirs at basketball.

I love ISU football. If there was any sports team I follow that I want more than any other to succeed, it's ISU football. But the battle to even be nationally relevant and competitive is incredibly steep. And there's a big basketball opportunity cost to try to do the near-impossible in football.

5 star culture gets you Autozone Liberty Bowl appearances. 5 star players get you national championships.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Wait, collective money is going directly to coaches, too?? I thought the only reason the fans have to pickup the slack & pay players is because the schools/ADs can't - that's obviously not the case for coaches..

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Wait, collective money is going directly to coaches, too?? I thought the only reason the fans have to pickup the slack & pay players is because the schools/ADs can't - that's obviously not the case for coaches..
No, like Tang wanted more NIL money for basketball. So he could get better players, a stipulation on him staying. They raised the money to keep him

• Informative
Reactions: Tailg8er

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

That is, of course, if you believe everything he (& any other collective) says. These things might as well be a sitcom, because they can say/claim pretty much whatever they want/whatever makes their school look good/whatever will get more people to donate.

For instance, he also said zero of fan donations went to Proctor - well of course he's going to say that, who the hell would want to continue donating if they knew their hard-earned money ended up with a kid who never played a down? There's zero accountability in the entire industry, and way too much for each of them to gain by saying whatever sounds best to the donors.

Also whatever happened to our Albaugh money?? We go from TJ in his Kentucky Derby suite, to not being able to afford a transfer who'd be a backup? I don't get it..

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Current budget year has $2 million through end of June all together. July starts the new annual budget cycle and has a goal of $4 million.
Seems pretty low considering all the donation match efforts that took place. The last one should have raised $1.2M alone, right?

Reactions: Cfinnerty16