Charlotte Transfer Dishon Jackson commits to the Cyclones!

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think JT will surprise many people next year. I think his length will help him on defense. He should be able to challenge shots and rebound using that length. On offense I would expect him to add a new skill set in that he played a lot around the 3 point line in AAU. He can shoot better than any of our current 5s and is a threat to shoot from the top of the key and not allow opposing bigs to sag off so much. I hope he has been working on his quickness and overall athletic ability this year, that is where I think growth would benefit him most.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Are we sure that JT rock will be ready next year? I have seen a lot of people pencil him in next year but I always felt that 7 footers need time to develop. Has the staff said something about him being ready for next year? Next year will technically be his freshman year so I just don’t know if I expect him to have so many minutes. I would be excited if he is but I am also cautious expecting him to have big minutes.
I’ve been impressed with how much he has already bulked up from where he started this fall. I haven’t seen him play obviously but I think physical growth is the biggest issue for bigs. I don’t expect him to be great by any means but I think he will be serviceable

Reactions: VeloClone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I think JT will surprise many people next year. I think his length will help him on defense. He should be able to challenge shots and rebound using that length. On offense I would expect him to add a new skill set in that he played a lot around the 3 point line in AAU. He can shoot better than any of our current 5s and is a threat to shoot from the top of the key and not allow opposing bigs to sag off so much. I hope he has been working on his quickness and overall athletic ability this year, that is where I think growth would benefit him most.
I do remember thinking that JT has a really good stroke for a big man. Now that I think about it, he could be an enticing piece NEXT year, easily getting 5-10'/game, if he can hit some 3's, rebound, etc.

As he gains experience and gets older, he could be a force inside AND out.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I do remember thinking that JT has a really good stroke for a big man. Now that I think about it, he could be an enticing piece NEXT year, easily getting 5-10'/game, if he can hit some 3's, rebound, etc.

As he gains experience and gets older, he could be a force inside AND out.

Even if it's mainly as a junior and senior and as a reliable role player...you never know when there might be some matchup issue in a tournament. Thinking Clingan as an example if we can beat Illinois. Playing under TJ I'm confident he can coach him up to at least have a defensive body against somebody like that and then like you and others said stretch the court with the 3 on offense.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
It's really the low majors that get crushed. Mid-majors aren't actually in an awful spot. Sure, if they bring a guys in and he's good the odds are hes jumping up to a power conference and getting paid. However, those who are sharp get to pull from two transfer pools. Low-majors who aren't quite good enough to jump all the way up to the power conferences and then the power conference guys looking to drop down for playing time.

Grand Canyon is good example. They had 6 transfers in their top 7 players. 3 transferred "up" from Presbyterian, Southeast Missouri and Georgia State respectively. 3 transferred "down" from Depaul (and Kansas previously), Arizona State and Oregon. So those mid-major teams can fill up with some really good talent.
Another good one is Santa Clara. They took 2 dudes considered to be power conference busts and in 1 season made them lottery picks. No tournament for them yet but they got the NIT last year and would likely have again if ESPN wasnt trying to **** over all Mid-majors

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I feel really good about transfers coming in now considering how high profile ISU's style and work requirements have been. There is no longer any concern that kids coming in don't recognize just how high the commitment and effort level must be every day.

At least that is what I tell myself...
I generally tell myself that I'm not as good-looking as everybody says I am. I like to stay humble.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Before this news, I was thinking: There have already been a bunch of 4/5 type players announcing the portal. How will TJ & staff sort them for recruitment? Then they grab one, along with a freshman for 2025, while preparing for a tournament run!

Had to be some advance knowledge or connection.

Reactions: Aclone